PDA

View Full Version : New Website and Server Upgrade

fifteendays
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I posted an announcement earlier today, but I've now realized that announcements don't show up under "new posts" (thanks, Ed!). Therefore, only a handful of you have read the news!

We're rolling out our new website tomorrow morning. And we're also upgrading our server on Saturday. To learn more, take a look at the announcement (http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/announcement.php?f=13).

I welcome your feedback, especially if you find something that isn't working!

Thanks,
Scot
MWO Exec. Director

Brad
11-14-2008, 05:37 AM
New this is a "New Clear" event if there was one. Looking forward to the changes!!!

PS Kathy, that is how the stress test is supposed to be spelled instead of Nuclear.

Brad
11-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, on Facebook you promised a beer to anyone who finds a major problem with the new site. I should hope that your true and loyal friends here on the forum have the same offer.

Now, what is the definition of"major problem"? Since MWO is a high quality organization that is any flaw - spelling, an extra space between words, no space, anything. Anything less would not be to the standards of the organization.

So, let the beers flow. Well, in my case I do not drink beer, so I have asked for a reasonable substitute. Hmmm, maybe hot mulled cider.

Brad
11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
New home page is up!!!!!!

hobbes
11-14-2008, 08:13 AM
So, let the beers flow. Well, in my case I do not drink beer, so I have asked for a reasonable substitute. Hmmm, maybe hot mulled cider. That makes two of us Brad. I'll buy the hot cider. But it has to be something that impacts the functionality of the site (and within the control of the Observatory -- don't ask:))

Brad
11-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I would like to send a LARGE thank you for not changing the URLs for the web camera images. I thought I was going to have to make changes on 3 computers to get the images flowing again. But, they are still running and working fine.

fifteendays
11-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Well, on Facebook you promised a beer to anyone who finds a major problem with the new site. I should hope that your true and loyal friends here on the forum have the same offer.

Now, what is the definition of"major problem"? Since MWO is a high quality organization that is any flaw - spelling, an extra space between words, no space, anything. Anything less would not be to the standards of the organization.

So, let the beers flow. Well, in my case I do not drink beer, so I have asked for a reasonable substitute. Hmmm, maybe hot mulled cider.

Easy now... I don't want to have that conversation with my wife... "Sorry honey, no food for the kids this week-- I had to buy 35 cases of Tuckermans for all my friends on the MWO forums."

It's a little too cold now to be sleeping outside.

Scot

Brad
11-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Based on the quality of the new site I think your kids are safe.

The following will not get me a hot mulled cider, but it is feedback. Throughout the site there are inconsistencies. When there are links on a page (for example off on the right for weather and hiking conditions) the clickable words are underlined. When they are clickable on the actual page (like the Member/donor/gift page) they are in red but are not underlined. When on the left navigation they are not underlined.

Sometimes the clickable words are in green, other times black, some times in red. Consistency makes a site easy to navigate and the user does not have to wonder what can be done.

I am still looking for my hot mulled cider. . .

Brad
11-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Does this count?????

When you go to the membership renewal page it fills in your personal information. The telephone area code is right - but the rest of the phone number is garbage. The numbers there are not even a part of my phone number.

So, I went to edit profile and I have no way of correcting the telephone number - which I know you have correctly anyway.

Brad
11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
The "My Account" link at the upper right of the pages used to be 'backlit" when you were logged in. That indicator was nice as I seem to get logged on on a regular basis. Can that feature be added to the wish list?

hobbes
11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
The "My Account" link at the upper right of the pages used to be 'backlit" when you were logged in. That indicator was nice as I seem to get logged on on a regular basis. Can that feature be added to the wish list?

Unfortunately that could only be provided when you are viewing pages on the www.mountwashington.org site, and not on the new CRM server. In order to provide as seamless an integration between the two systems as possible, this feature had to be dropped. Should the CRM service provide a way to this in the future, the feature will be brought back.

Brad
11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Very nice touch to have the links to "MWO on YouTube" and "MWO on Facebook" in the multimedia section.

There is a request out on YouTube to post the "Breakfast of Champions" video. I have it as an AVI file (28MB file) and also have the longer MWO video which starts down at a lake looking at the mountain as an AVI file (89MB). Can I post those on my YouTube account and make them public? Or can I get them to MWO staff to post off the MWOObservor ID? I could work with someone behind the scenes to post directly to the MWOObservor ID.

Brad
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately that could only be provided when you are viewing pages on the www.mountwashington.org site, and not on the new CRM server. In order to provide as seamless an integration between the two systems as possible, this feature had to be dropped. Should the CRM service provide a way to this in the future, the feature will be brought back.
How about having it turned on for the www.mountwashington.org site alone since that is where we will be spending most of our time?

hobbes
11-14-2008, 10:58 AM
How about having it turned on for the www.mountwashington.org site alone since that is where we will be spending most of our time? This presents a usability issue as someone that is signed in might then be on a page that doesn't show they are signed in. Most users wouldn't be able to tell when they are viewing pages from one server vs. the other. In this case consistency won out and no pages display it.

Brad
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
This presents a usability issue as someone that is signed in might then be on a page that doesn't show they are signed in. Most users wouldn't be able to tell when they are viewing pages from one server vs. the other. In this case consistency won out and no pages display it.
I understand - and I am a guy that likes consistency.

Knapper
11-14-2008, 01:19 PM
There is a request out on YouTube to post the "Breakfast of Champions" video.

I can probably answer this one since this has been raised before, even by me. The answer is no, as of now. We use this as a video to entice people into the museum. We use to offer it on a DVD to new members but I think that supply has since been used up. There are remakes which other staffers made and posted on the tube like rockpile crunch. But the original cannot be put on ours or your tibe account, unless you can convince Scot.

...also have the longer MWO video which starts down at a lake looking at the mountain as an AVI file (89MB).

I have no idea what video this is based on this description. I would say before you post it as well that you get permission because unless you shot it, it is the property of the group or company that shot it. When you upload on youtube, there is the little box you check that asks if it is original content. If you did shoot it, still try to get permission from Scot and if granted, we can either favorite it or get a copy for the obs site.

Knapper
11-14-2008, 01:24 PM

If we are going into this much detail, comments, observations, forecasts, and forums are off the table. I have these kind of errors on a daily basis but I would say anything "permanent" should be brought to attention.

Brad
11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
If we are going into this much detail, comments, observations, forecasts, and forums are off the table. I have these kind of errors on a daily basis but I would say anything "permanent" should be brought to attention.
One can always try for a free cider.

hobbes
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
One can always try for a free cider. You've done enough in the past Brad. Next time you're in the North Conway area, holler and I'll buy a cup o'cider.

Brad
11-14-2008, 03:38 PM
You've done enough in the past Brad. Next time you're in the North Conway area, holler and I'll buy a cup o'cider.
Ha, now to figure out which town. Heading to Fryeburg after work today. Am I getting warm?

hobbes
11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Ha, now to figure out which town. Heading to Fryeburg after work today. Am I getting warm?

Actually, you're getting cold(er), but mostly because it's drizzling in Fryeburg just now. Anyway, as you're getting close, be at the Met Coffee House in North Conway tomorrow morning at 9:30am, and you shall have your cup o'cider. If that's not convenient, PM me:)

mtruman
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Nice job with the new site guys! The navigation is much nicer and the new features look good. I had an interesting problem when I hit the site the first few times. The page width was much too narrow and the content was really wacked out on the home page (wacked out is a technical term of course:)). This happened in both Firefox and IE so I don't think it was browser settings or anything like that. I opened and closed both the browsers and the site a few times with the same result. I finally just went to the registration page and after creating my new account the appearance problems all went away. Probably worth verifying that there isn't any problem for unregisered users - don't want to chase anyone away. I'm sure that there are going to be a few small kinks to work out as there always are with any new implementation of this scope. All in all definitely an A+ !

hobbes
11-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Mark - More than likely your browser was using a cached stylesheet. When that happens, click the Refresh button a couple of times. If that doesn't do it, try holding down the Shift key while clicking Refresh.

mtruman
11-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Mark - More than likely your browser was using a cached stylesheet. When that happens, click the Refresh button a couple of times. If that doesn't do it, try holding down the Shift key while clicking Refresh.

That occurred to me and I did try the multiple refreshes (to no avail) in both browsers. Problem is gone now at any rate. I just found it interesting that it cleared up immediately in both browsers after creating the new user account.

Brad
11-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Actually, you're getting cold(er), but mostly because it's drizzling in Fryeburg just now. Anyway, as you're getting close, be at the Met Coffee House in North Conway tomorrow morning at 9:30am, and you shall have your cup o'cider. If that's not convenient, PM me:)
We have a truck load of house guests coming in tonight. So, wandering around this weekend is not a possibility. But, if you want to come over and help take my son's 2 docks out of the water, I could use something hot afterwards.

hobbes
11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
We have a truck load of house guests coming in tonight. So, wandering around this weekend is not a possibility. But, if you want to come over and help take my son's 2 docks out of the water, I could use something hot afterwards. Wait, now you want free cider and manual labor??? Maybe you need to swap that truck load of guests for a boat load...

M_Six
11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Site looks good to me. Although all the webcam images are dark. ;):D

Cold and rainy here, but we've got a nice fire going and I'm about to break out a tasty Riesling, so all is good. :cool:

Bretton Woods Brat
11-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Nice job! :D

Santa
11-15-2008, 08:58 AM
I really like the new website too! Great job!

Perhaps as Christmas approaches one of the ad boxes on the front page could encourage people to give gift memberships or purchases from the shop? Maybe some Christmas e-cards for people to send?

Those gift memberships don't weight much, so they cut down on the load that my reindeer and I have to carry!

Remember to be nice, not naughty - I'll be making my list, and checking it twice...

Until Christmas,

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Santa

Steve M
11-15-2008, 10:42 PM
New home page looks great. :)

KathyC
11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Everything looks terrific, Great Job!!!:D

AubriePace
11-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree. The new website looks great! Good job to everyone who helped.

Charlie
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
looking good thanks for doing this