PDA

View Full Version : Book for Children about Hiking

MeridenFF
11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I have an 8 year old boy that I am trying to shop for. He is the type of kid that would rather sit on his A$$ and play a video game then doing anything outside. We (his mom, my brother in law, the fiance, the video gaming child and I) went for a short hike about a month ago and he seemed to like it. My fiance and I decided to buy him a kids Camel bak back pack and some little things to go with that all for hiking. We are trying to get stuff that will encourage him to hike and learn. We are looking to get a book that would be good for him to read and hopefully peak his interest. Does any one know where I can get one? I went to the local REI store with no luck. Kim and I are getting married in Aug and the place we are tying the knot is on the AT trail so we are hoping to take all the kids for a short hike during the weekend stay so we need all the help we can get. Thanks

KD Talbot
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Here's a lot of titles, not sure if there would be anything he'd be interested in. The owner of this store is a great guy, you should email him and ask for suggestions.

http://www.mountainwanderer.com/hiking.html

Of course, there's always Amazon.com and I see a lot of potential titles:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Hiking&rh=n%3A4%2Ck%3AHiking&page=1

KDT

Brad
11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods" is a great book - educational - funny - and about the AT.

Tim&Val
11-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Don't forget that there's more to "hiking books" than just books about hiking! For our niece and nephew (now 9 and 11) we got books on wildflower identification, tracks and scat, fungus, etc. There are some at Amazon that are geared towards kids.

Some of us spend a lot of time looking down on the trail. You find a lot of flowers, tracks and scat that way and you don't trip and land on your face. :p

Valerie

p.s. another way to get him interested is to give him a small digital camera so he can record his own trip report. Then he can take pictures of all the cool stuff he sees and compare it to the books when he gets home.

BlueDog
11-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I really like the camera idea. The things young children find most interesting and picture worthy is always fascinating. Give you a real child's eye look at things.

Rich
11-22-2008, 04:13 PM
If he's into electronics than look at Geocaching (www.geocaching.com). It's high tech hiking with a purpose. All my boys started hiking while geocaching. Lots of fun. Get him out there!

Patrad Fischroy
11-22-2008, 04:47 PM
You could try this, it lools interesting
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99301

or a wider selection

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___200333435__200302616

TheNatrix
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Not really a book about hiking but certainly the outdoors. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead may be appropriate for him. I snagged this review off of Amazon.

"Every kid thinks about running away at one point or another; few get farther than the end of the block. Young Sam Gribley gets to the end of the block and keeps going--all the way to the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. There he sets up house in a huge hollowed-out tree, with a falcon and a weasel for companions and his wits as his tool for survival. In a spellbinding, touching, funny account, Sam learns to live off the land, and grows up a little in the process. Blizzards, hunters, loneliness, and fear all battle to drive Sam back to city life. But his desire for freedom, independence, and adventure is stronger. No reader will be immune to the compulsion to go right out and start whittling fishhooks and befriending raccoons. "

mary
11-23-2008, 05:01 PM
i agree with the geocaching as well....its almost like a treaure hunt....if you want something a little more age appropriate try letterboxing....its a very cool hobby to get kids in to....heres the website below....you can print out the clues for your area for starters....

http://www.letterboxing.org/

Patrad Fischroy
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Not really a book about hiking but certainly the outdoors. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead may be appropriate for him. I snagged this review off of Amazon.

"Every kid thinks about running away at one point or another; few get farther than the end of the block. Young Sam Gribley gets to the end of the block and keeps going--all the way to the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. There he sets up house in a huge hollowed-out tree, with a falcon and a weasel for companions and his wits as his tool for survival. In a spellbinding, touching, funny account, Sam learns to live off the land, and grows up a little in the process. Blizzards, hunters, loneliness, and fear all battle to drive Sam back to city life. But his desire for freedom, independence, and adventure is stronger. No reader will be immune to the compulsion to go right out and start whittling fishhooks and befriending raccoons. "

I recall reading this as a kid myself (and that was quite sometime ago). It is a wonderfully written book