PDA

View Full Version : Temp in living quarters

Moxie
11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm coming up Wednesday for a volunteer week. When I was up in August the living quarters would occasionally get a bit warm. Opening the door to the tower would take care of that. Probably not an option this time of year. So, wondering what the average daytime temp is in the living quarters this time of year. Doing some packing today, and needing to make some decisions on what to bring. Thanks - rob

Bill O
11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Back when I was there the thermostats did their job. Winter is fine but summer does get warm. I also remember waking up one morning to alarms and smoke. Hmmm...who was that volunteer?

Moxie
11-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Bill. The shorts stay home!. My last visit wasn't alarming, but I was surprised by the warmth in the kitchen and living room. I do prefer it cool - why else would I go up there in November!

Knapper
11-23-2008, 09:47 PM
You can make your room as hot or as cold as you would like it. The thermostat goes from 40 to 90. If you set it to 40 it will probably be colder than that since it can be drafty in high winds as the building is not 100% wind proof. The living quarters are set to around 65 to 70, but that too can be adjusted after asking the three other crew members that are up this week. So in general, pack layers and then peel off what you don't need until you reach a warm equilibrium. We have had some wear shorts while cooking as the kitchen can still get warm. But have warm clothes ready in case of sudden emergency that forces evacuation.

Moxie
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Ryan. Sounds like I'm overly concerned. Must come from too many years of working in large buildings where the termostat is merely a wall decoration.

Charlie
11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Ryan. Sounds like I'm overly concerned. Must come from too many years of working in large buildings where the termostat is merely a wall decoration.

if you like it cool you can put a sleeping bag out on the deck ,its cool out there :eek::eek::D:D

Arthur Dent
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
I know some of the German students have slept in the snow cave by Yankee. A little too early in the winter for that.