PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Recommendation?

hobbes
11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Looking for a new digital camera for the fam. Would appreciate your (knowledgeable) recommendation between the Canon Powershot SD1100, SD880, A2000.

Thx!

Bill O
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I have the SD870, which I assume is the earlier version of the 880. I need to play around with the settings because it really over-saturates everything red. I actually have to go de-saturate in Photoshop.

I just saw an ad for the G10. I don't know much about it, but it looks awesome.

Regardless, I'd only buy Canon's.

Brad
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
My son has the G9 and it is a wonderful camera. The images are great - it is small - and he has the waterproof case for use when kayaking.

My wife has the SD800 which is standard with IS and a wide angle lens. Both are great features for indoor pictures. It is very simple and works well.

For hiking I have the S3 IS - which is a bigger body but plenty of features. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

BlueDog
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
While I'm a loyal Canon fan... I'm actually considering the Olympus Stlyus (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp) as a nice little P&S for hiking and such. The reason I'm considering these is that they are getting decent reviews in Backpacker and other media and the biggest reasons... they are WATERPROOF, FREEZEPROOF and SHOCKPROOF!

Brad
11-25-2008, 06:03 AM
While I'm a loyal Canon fan... I'm actually considering the Olympus Stlyus (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp) as a nice little P&S for hiking and such. The reason I'm considering these is that they are getting decent reviews in Backpacker and other media and the biggest reasons... they are WATERPROOF, FREEZEPROOF and SHOCKPROOF!
Now that would be a cool option. Hold it real tight and you will not get wet, freeze or fall.

CHRIS
11-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I bought the Canon G9 in June for hiking and I absolutely love it. It has alot of features to it and takes great pictures. I paid 499.00 @ Best Buy plus 30.00 for a 2 gig card.

hobbes
11-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. The G9 is a bit bulky for what we want though (twice the weight!) At this point, I'm just looking to narrow down between the 3 models above. Unfortunately Canon has been tweaking their upgrades enough that a prior model comparison may no longer hold.

Patrad Fischroy
11-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I like these guys, as far as reviews go they have a few biases, but are pretty fair overall

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMDB/compare_results.php?sections%5B%5D=1515&sections%5B%5D=1412&sections%5B%5D=1527&submit=Compare

This is their website for comparing the three you mentioned. It is tough keeping up, by the time you decide on one, it has been upgraded and replaced.

Good luck deciding, they all seem to be pretty good. the deciding factor may be which one feels the best in your hand. Or you could just eenie meenie miny moe it and get used to it.

mtruman
11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I've long been a fan of the Canon PowerShot series as well. I've had both the A530 and now the A590 as my point and shoot models and my primary hiking cameras. Both have been awesome. One of the things that I like about these as opposed to some of the other Canon models is the form factor. The shape of the camera body and the grip makes it particularly easy to get the camera out of the case (I use the Canon velcro flap belt pack model) with one hand and take shots while hiking. Haven't dropped it yet (although I've now porbably jinxed myself). The image quality is excellent as well (which of course is the main criteria).

h2oeco
11-25-2008, 12:26 PM
I have had a SD800 IS as my small/backup camera for several years, and like it a lot. Takes good pictures, easy to use, has a viewfinder and an LCD, which a lot of small cameras do not. Seems to be tought/well-built, battery life is good too. I would stay within the SD line for the use that you describe.

Ed

JimS
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
More info than you could ever want...but I think this site is up your alley...it's become the industry standard for camera reviews...

http://www.dpreview.com

I know nothing of any of the models...but check the site...

~jim

h2oeco
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I second that - I've used dpreview in the past, and actually looked up the SD880 earlier when I first replied. Lots of good info, and as Jim said, more detail than a lot of people might want... :-)

Ed

hobbes
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I have been looking at dpreview, steves-digicam, and (thanks for the reminder) imaging-resource. Not all cameras have been reviewed though, and I was hoping for a little first hand knowledge from y'all.

Well, I just ordered the SD880. It seems to have received pretty good reviews overall, unlike the A2000 which have been mixed. The wide angle on the SD880 will be nice to have (although I would almost have preferred the tele on the A2000 even with flareups). I might miss the view finder, but neither of these two have it, and it seems the 3" LCD is bright enough outdoors.

Hummm.... wonder if I can hook up the EF 100-400mm IS to it :)

dixiemax
11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
i've the canon sd1000 powershot
and it's great! manual or automatic...
takes wonderful photos and video too!

UncleFester
11-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I've been researching this camera a lot and it really is awesome. I do a lot of fly fishing as well as hiking and need something waterproof and this fits the bill. One thing I like in a camera is a nice macro feature that can get real close and focus in sharply and this does an amazing job.

mtruman
11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Well, I just ordered the SD880. It seems to have received pretty good reviews overall, unlike the A2000 which have been mixed. The wide angle on the SD880 will be nice to have (although I would almost have preferred the tele on the A2000 even with flareups). I might miss the view finder, but neither of these two have it, and it seems the 3" LCD is bright enough outdoors.

The viewfinder is the other thing that I really like in the Canon PowerShot A series. Very hand when hiking or outdoors in general. New LCDs are a lot brighter and better to use outdoors though. Good luck with the SD880

mtruman
11-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I've been researching this camera a lot and it really is awesome. I do a lot of fly fishing as well as hiking and need something waterproof and this fits the bill. One thing I like in a camera is a nice macro feature that can get real close and focus in sharply and this does an amazing job.

If you aren't too hung up on really small size consider this option: Fuji A500 with Aquamask waterproof case. You can read my review of this camera on geek.com here: http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/a500aqua/index.htm

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/a500aqua/Aquamask.jpg

I use this camera when kayaking and it does double duty in for hiking in bad weather. The image quality is really good for something this cheap and the waterproof case doesn't effect the image at all (or at least not noticeably). Very good at macros too (check the review for sample). This model is a couple of years old but still available. Amazon has it now (through marketplace) for $69 and the case for $19. No way that you can beat this for the price.

Orgnoi1
11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
What? Who uses Canons around here...LOL they should all be shot!!!

All three of the cameras you posted up about will give you good use and pretty high quality pictures... I am sure you will be happy with your choice of the 880.. good luck with it!!

spyboy
11-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I've got the Olympus Stylus 770SW (freeze proof, shock proof, crush proof, water proof). It doesn't have a big plastic housing, it's a metal shell and very resilient (I use it sea kayaking and just clip it to my deck or to my PFD)

It's about the size of a deck of cards, and slips into a front jeans pocket easily.

Kirk

hobbes
12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
The SD880 IS went on a trip last week to SoCal and performed admirably. The large LCD is quite nice (except when I have my sunglasses on, in which I can't see the LCD at all:) Dusk & night shots leave a bit to be desired, but in fairness I had the camera in full auto at the time; I'll need to try the night settings to see how it compares. The only issue I really have are what appears to be water spots on the lens (possibly from a waterfall), which I'll need to figure out how to remove (any ideas?). I like the portability (it fits in pants pockets unlike my old S40), and the controls are generally easy to use. Even my 5-year old took some great shots with it.

dangergirl
12-19-2008, 06:55 AM
I use the Cannon powershot SD800 IS and my boyfriend has the Cannon powershot 850 IS. We had two of the Olympus "shockproof/windproof/watertight" cameras and they both broke! The camera couldn't hold up to extreme changes in temperature and humidity (most places we took it were like that). We have had the Cannons for a couple of years now and have dropped them, had them get rained on, snowed on, and really put them to the test. The result-great photos. Very sturdy camera. Most of my friends have them as well and have had the same awesome results.

Gorque
01-27-2009, 12:52 PM
The info in this thread greatly assisted me in selecting my camera. Thanks to all. :)

mtruman
01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
The info in this thread greatly assisted me in selecting my camera. Thanks to all. :)

And the choice was?

Gorque
01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanx for asking, the SD 880. :)

I should be receiving it tomorrow, UPS & snowstorm willing.

Brad
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanx for asking, the SD 880. :)

I should be receiving it tomorrow, UPS & snowstorm willing.
That looks like a great camera. IS and a wide angle lens.

Gorque
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
The wide angle lens feature was what decided it, what with me & the missus being outside so much. :)

Brad
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
My wife's Canon has wide angle and it works well for her inside. take a picture of people at a dinner table and you get them all in.

Gorque
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks for mentioning that Brad. It always seems that you always have to back up too far to get everyone in at the Thanksgiving meal.

Brad
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Most of the pictures my wife takes are the family and friends - close up. So, a wide angle lens was a requirement for her.

Patrad Fischroy
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Hobbes, and anyone else with a Canon SD880, I just saw a notice that there was a firmware update for some of these cameras

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/dcp/firm-e/pssd880is/index.html

It is really a minor, rare set of conditions where the error might occur, but if it where to happen, it might be disturbing.

hobbes
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't experienced the problem (yet), but will look into upgrading.