PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Park question

AlexFTGU
11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Just curious if anyone has ascended Katahdin in the winter. What trail you took, etc..I've done a lot of research and put a team together and am about to apply for a permit, but I am just curious if anyone can share their experiences with me? =)

Bill O
11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I know people on Time For Tuckerman's have and probably VFTT.

I've been up there in the summer. I was really turned off by all the rules, but once I got there it wasn't that bad.

mrohssler
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I did it in early april 9 years ago. We used the Abol slide trail. It is short but steep. Bring ropes and ice screws in case. Once you reach the plateau you are golden.

AlexFTGU
12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Thats what side I was thinking as well. Awesome. Thanks a lot!

asabarron
12-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi,
I have done the Abol slide trail in winter, and it ascends about 4000 feet over roughly 3.2 miles. The Knifes Edge is a great trail thoug I have never done that one in winter. Have a great and safe trip up there.
Best,
J.P.

Pete S
12-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Winter trips to Baxter are often discussed on viewsfromthetop.com, a NE hiking website. A common extended trip is to ski into Roaring Brook from Abol Bridge and then hike / skin up to Chimney Pond. From Chimney, the Saddle winter route is the least technical, though features some sections that some consider exposed. Good luck, and have asafe trip!

rockin rex
12-11-2008, 08:46 AM
With the road closed getting in from the gatehouse is a chore in its self. Baxter in winter is considered one of the toughest winter accents in New England. The trail that most take up is the Abol slide but going up thru Chimmney Pond is an incredible hike also. Enjoy your winter accent and make sure you get back to us with a trip report.

Bill O
12-11-2008, 09:11 AM
A ski trip up to Chimney Pond sounds like a great multi-day. Even if you don't make it to the summit I bet that is an amazing place in the winter.

Although, the only way I would do it is with skis and skins. Snowshoes would be too slow.

AlexFTGU
12-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, we are going to ski in to chimney pond. planning it was a 3 day. i'll report back with pictures! :)

Bill O
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, we are going to ski in to chimney pond. planning it was a 3 day. i'll report back with pictures! :)

Awesome. The trail from the summer trailhead to Chimney Pond has to be much easier on skis than on foot. Assuming there is ample snow cover.

Flippin
08-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Firing up an old chain. Looking into this trip in early 2010. Anyone do this recently? Advice and/or tips?

We are thinking 5 days. Ski in and out. not sure about trails to summit yet.

Ammiddeon
08-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes, we have closed the Baxter Ave location as our lease had run out. From what I have heard there is some kind of tapas bar or some such going in there. Best of luck to them.

Flippin
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
huh? Wrong thread maybe?