PDA

View Full Version : Is this really true?

Gorque
12-03-2008, 09:13 AM
In the "What's Going On" section of the main page it states that there was 619 people on-line on 8-27-08 at precisely 9:09 a.m.. Is this correct?

Bill O
12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I doubt it. I'd say we have less than 50 active users. Probably just a lot of spamming type machines trying to look. I'd also guess there is some overlap. Maybe 619 people have looked at the site within the past 15 minutes or longer.

JimS
12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
It seems high, but it could be real. August 27th was one of the first icing events of the year, which draws traffic to mountwashington.org. Busy days can see upwards of 30,000 IP sessons on the site. If there was a greater than normal visitation to the site, perhaps a few hundred more than usual passed through lurking in the forums. It's not necessarily members, but just people looking.

My guess is that perhaps another place on the great big internet linked to the forums that morning, like in a weather discussion, or another forum or board. A bunch of click-throughs...

UncleFester
12-03-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm a member of this fly fishing forum, and a post i made (http://www.flyaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4318&highlight=iphone) somehow got leaked to Make Magazine, on average all posts had like a few hundred views, this one in particular had thousands...kinda funny actually.

Brad
12-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes, traffic can swing a lot based on a post off somewhere that brings traffic to your site. My photo web site is normally 300-400 images viewed a day. but, I have had individual days with over 50,000 images viewed! With people not logging off and just leaving the forum page open, they would get counted in the active visitor count. I think the 619 could be "real".