PDA

View Full Version : Denali evo ascent snow shoes

CHRIS
12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Has anybody had any experince with the MSR Denali Evo Ascent snow shoes? I will be the proud father of a pair on monday:D. http://www.basegear.com/msr-denali-evo-ascent.html
I ordered them in from Base Gear with some microspikes but unfortunatley I forgot to put a size in for the micros so they are sending me extra small :confused: so I guess my daughter just got a pair. But now I am thinking that maybe I should just buy a good pair of crampons instead. Does anybody have any recomendations on a good crampon?

UncleFester
12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I have the MSR Lightnings and they are awesome!! very light.
Never owned crampons.

climbabout
12-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Can't go wrong with grivel g-12's - newmatic binding is the most versatile. Been using them for 15+ years - now on my third pair - the rockpile is tough on any crampon.
Tim

KD Talbot
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
the MSR Lightnings. A decent shoe, but they have weak points. I broke a crampon off about 6 miles out and between summits last winter. It was a long limp back. They replaced it free, but I certainly would have preferred it didn't break in the first place, and I was without the shoes for about 2 weeks waiting for the replacement parts. When they arrived I was frustrated at the difficulty of fixing them myself. Doable at home with the proper tools and lighting, and nice warm fingers. It would have been impossible to do in the field.

If I were to buy again I would go with the Denali Evo Ascents. Much sturdier, though probably a little heavier.

Grivel is out of business in North America. You may still find some stuff if you look around.

I have Black Diamond step-in crampons that fit both my plastic boots and my Lowas. I had a pair of Charette's strap ons that served me well before, and now my wife uses them.

KDT

Edit: Did a quick search for the Grivels and they are still available. If Climbabout recommends them then is good enough for me!

http://www.gearzone.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=143-13001-1&click=5096