PDA

View Full Version : Mount Washington in changing light...

JimS
12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Saturday is was a fantastic day for a number of reasons, but it started off with a stunning sunrise. I caught this from an undiscloseable location, and was intrigued by the rapid changes in light in the 20 minute span that these were taken over.

Specs:
Canon 20D w/Sigma 18-200
Polarizer
2 or 3 stop soft grad GND filter
ISO 100
F10-F14 with shutters around 1 to 2 Seconds...

Thanks for any thoughts...
First Color...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/3090813622_39d0383be6.jpg

Pink Sky Reaching Washington...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/3089973335_7cdfb7496b.jpg

Alpenglow on the slopes...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/3089973385_9d517a642e.jpg

Color about to fade...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/3090813598_acdea681ee.jpg

laudizen
12-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Striking and surreal. I was quite taken with that first image: the snow, stones and shoreline in the foreground, as well as the reflection of both the mountain and the color in the sky above, gave the shot an icy depth.

Brad
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I like the 3rd picture.

Santa
12-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Nicely done Jim!

Santa

Steve M
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I love the first picture because the foreground captures you then as you look your eyes are drawn to Mt Washington in the distance. It shows a lot of depth.

Brad
12-08-2008, 05:08 AM
I love the first picture because the foreground captures you then as you look your eyes are drawn to Mt Washington in the distance. It shows a lot of depth.
It also shows that Jim has a lot of depth. As he was taking these pictures he was thinking about giving away that ring.

forestgnome
12-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Another beautiful set of images! Great compositions and color.

Can you suggest a website or webpage where we can learn about ND filters. I need to get serious about NDs.

Congradulations on another excellent shoot! :)

JimS
12-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks all...

Gnome...I have an email reply I just wrote to someone about the issue, so I'll paste it below. I also have found a great article which explains better than I do.

I shoot with HiTech filters, for their balance of price, quality and neutrality. Not the best in any of the categories, but good enough of each...

Any questions, happy to help!

First:
http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1108/dw1108-1.html

Then:
Okay...here you go, info on the magical world of filters.

I shoot with a cokin holder system. You can find info on them here...
www.2filter.com/cokin/cokinpaccessories.html

This company just moved to NH, and is, from what I've heard, a trustworthy company.

You need a Cokin 'P' size holder, and then an adapter ring for each lens thread size that you have.

After that you need the filters themselves. This page has Cokin P Series Sized Holders (84mm).

www.2filter.com/prices/nd_graduals_P.html

I LOVE my HiTechs, and hated my Cokins. Well worth the extra money, and IMO no need to go higher quality.

If you were to get a starter set, I would get a 2 Stop (0.6) hard edge and a 3 Stop (0.9) soft edge. These can be used independantly, or stacked for a strong yet seamless effect.

I also have a cheap circular polarizer that I got off ebay. It fits in the first slot of the cokin holder. It polarizes well, isn't neutral, but I like it's warming affect.

The Hi Tech filters SCRATCH very easily. Don't even think about storing them in their plastic sleeves that they come in. You MUST get one of these microfiber cases. I have F166:

www.kgear.com/f/

Once you get the filters, it takes some time to get the filters to rest in the right spot so that the grad line is seamless and virtually invisible. I'll happily offer advice when you get some shots up with them...

Hope this helps...
Jim

KD Talbot
12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Of course!

"caught this from an undiscloseable location"

You've been trespassing again, haven't you? :)

KDT

JimS
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Of course!

"caught this from an undiscloseable location"

You've been trespassing again, haven't you? :)

KDT

I had an opportunity through implied association to access a property...
I don't know if that will hold up...
So yes...

Bill O
12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
So yes...

If we try hard enough we can figure out where that is.

South and east for sure. My keen instinct tells me you were near a lake or pond, and it was obviously a fair distance form the mountains. I'd guess at least 40 miles.

mtruman
12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Don't know how I missed these yesterday. Spectacular images as we all know are the only thing to expect from Jim. They are all incredible but the first is my favorite. The combination of color, texture and depth by bringing in the stones, ice and trees in the foreground balanced with the "tiny mountains" in the background are a great effect.

Brad
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
So yes...
Well, at least we all know you were not on the land hunting. You had already bagged your dear.

forestgnome
12-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the filter info. I'll go check it out and drop hints to Santa. ;)

Patrick

Orgnoi1
12-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Jim those are some incredible pictures... I think I like the last one the best... then the first one second best... I love when photographers include foreground items to give the images much more depth... it adds a TON to an image IMO...