PDA

View Full Version : Observer/Observatory Christmas Wish List???

Santa
12-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Dear Mount Washington Observatory and Observers,

I have not yet received your letter letting me know what you want for Christmas! Don't delay - Christmas is coming, and time is running out!

Santa

Knapper
12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
It was going to be todays comment post but the weather trumped that. Look for it on Tuesday or Wednesday as I have wrote it but have not posted it yet.

JimS
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I would move "internet" to the top of the list...looking at that picture!

h2oeco
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Nah - they'll be OK - they've got Brian's iPhone... :-)

Bill O
12-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I would move "internet" to the top of the list...looking at that picture!

Well, there's Bert's Radomes over on 8th. Radome City on the corner of Church and Dwight. Oh, the Antenna Superstore on 9th. You know, the radome district.

fifteendays
12-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, there's Bert's Radomes over on 8th. Radome City on the corner of Church and Dwight. Oh, the Antenna Superstore on 9th. You know, the radome district.

That's great, because I have a 20% off coupon for Radome City.

Brian and I talked about MacGyver-style fixes in the meantime... trash bags, tarps, duct tape, fastening this to that... If anyone has a 100mph-proof solution for how to cover the guts of a microwave dish on short notice with no supplies, foul weather approaching and no Radome City within driving distance, please do share.

:-)
Scot
MWO Staff

Brad
12-09-2008, 05:44 AM
There is this stuff on TV where they show the small tube of stuff going on a pants pocket and then it does not rip off 1.709 seconds later. Maybe just having a 20 gallon supply of that stuff on the summit would even be better than duck tape. I can't imagine anything better than "duck tape & fiberglass resin". Not sure how you apply it in 100 mph winds though. Maybe the folks at Aflac insurance would know. ;)

Steve M
12-09-2008, 09:00 AM
There is this stuff on TV where they show the small tube of stuff going on a pants pocket and then it does not rip off 1.709 seconds later. Maybe just having a 20 gallon supply of that stuff on the summit would even be better than duck tape. I can't imagine anything better than "duck tape & fiberglass resin". Not sure how you apply it in 100 mph winds though. Maybe the folks at Aflac insurance would know. ;)

Duct tape is a handyman's secret weapon! I learned the many uses of it watching the Red Green show many years back.

Rich
12-09-2008, 09:16 AM
If anyone has a 100mph-proof solution for how to cover the guts of a microwave dish on short notice with no supplies, foul weather approaching and no Radome City within driving distance, please do share.

:-)
Scot
MWO Staff

NO solution in that kind of weather.

Wasn't that a new dome put up at the end of the summer?
There has to be some kind of warranty? Get the mfg. up there and let HIM fix it!!!

JimS
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a long held belief that Billy Mays is one of the greatest people of our time. From oxy clean, to hercules hooks, he's not steered me wrong yet...

I think this is a job for mighty putty!
https://www.mightyputty.com/flare/next

billysinc
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
What's the diameter of the Radome?

RI Swamp Yankee
12-09-2008, 01:54 PM
That looks like about a 3 foot diameter 12GHz antenna. You don't want to "deice" that feedhorn (the "post" in the center of the soup pot) with a crowbar. Much smaller than the 9 foot 4GHz ones I worked with.

I don't imagine you keep sheets of Lexan or Kevlar tarps around so that fix is not an option. A big laundry bag, with draw string, pulled over the soup pot and then pull the bag top closed behind antenna might work. ... large tarp with gromets .... bivy sack .... you just need to keep the ice out of the big soup pot.

Bill O
12-09-2008, 02:24 PM
The fun part will be putting on a harness, clipping in and jumping over the tower railing to do these repairs.

We had the skill-set and equipment to do that when I was there, but I don't know the situation now.

I think some sort of temporary canvas type cover can them through the storm. Once you get the thing wrapped the key is to let the ice build up and protect the cover.

billysinc
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
You would kind of need something like a round jacuzzi/spa or pool cover where the edges go over the lip and either have a heavy elastic or are strapped on.

mrohssler
12-09-2008, 05:17 PM
If you can find out the diameter have someone in the valley get a circle of plexiglass and cut the diameter and bolt on if you can get the bolts apart. If not go over to our friends at Wildthings and have them cut a circle out of their toughest material about 4 inches bigger than the diameter of the antenna and install grommets around the outside. than you can use 1\4 inch wire rope from the hardware store and a couple of u bolt clamps to make loops on the end of the wire at the right length. leave a big gap in the wire and put in a turnbuckle so you can tighten it when needed.

Bill O
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
They have plexiglass and plywood. The problem is handling them in the wind while tethered 40 vt above the ground.

Charlie
12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
you need a role of that cling wrap the type they use to rap boxes on skids
i have some i can drive it up next week :D i will bring my rope and harness and i can take care of it ,and i will do all this for dinner :D:D

Charlie
12-09-2008, 08:42 PM
hay what happen to the wish list

how about some winter toys ????

Knapper
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Charlie - This list will get posted tomorrow. I thought that the rime-lapse was a better comment that could not wait.

RI Swamp Yankee - The pic must look deceiving to you because it is about 5 feet in diameter. Still smaller than 9 but bigger than 3.

The thing was bought recently but not within the past year. I think it was two to three years. Plexiglass is not the way we want to go because it doesn't self deice very easily. We were going to stretch a tarp but in 100 mph winds, aint no tarp in the world strong enough to hold on in those winds regardless of the strength. We are looking for a stronger cover though. We are talking to the other communication people up here with dishes to see what they use. So far, uncovered in 100+ mph winds, we still have internet. So short term, we are OK. Lets hope it lasts.

JimS
12-10-2008, 05:21 AM
The "wild things" idea got me thinking. I bet if you got a "tarp" made out of that material they use for crampon pouches and doggie bowls from wild things or ragged mountain, it would hold if you grommetted it and pulled it over the opening. I forget what they call the stuff, but it is tough as nails and somewhat pliable.

Somebody head down to the scrap shop at ragged!

Santa
12-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for posting your Christmas list in the comments Ryan! Your letter will probably get to the North Pole eventually, but now, I don't have to wait - I can get the elves working on your list right away!

Don't worry about Marty - I know all about him, and will be sure to bring something extra special for him!

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Santa

mrohssler
12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I would think a peice of 3 layer gortex pro or epic fabric would hold up. If it flaps slightly in the middle I would thing it would self deice as long as there are no sharp edges or it doesn't touch the feed horn. If you could find a dish,or anything the same diameter for that matter, the same size in the valley you could pre make it and have it all set to install.

Knapper
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
For a dish update from todays meeting: It sounds like we are going to go with a type of plexiglass similar to what is over the dishes in Yankee. We are going to see if there is something that the dish makers could do as well. Our best guess is that the failure came from a combination of cold and wind. Since the pic was posted, we have lost the remaining radome due to high winds yesterday/this morning.

Santa-good to hear you read my post. We look forward to the 25th.

Cheers