PDA

View Full Version : Typical New England Weather

KD Talbot
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Monday when I left for work at 5:30am, it was 10 degrees with a 25 mph wind. Wednesday when I left for work at 5:30am it was 58 degrees and raining. Right now it is 31 degrees and raining. There is glaze ice forming on my car, but not on the road. I expect that to change when the (sun?) goes down at 4:12pm. Fun.

KDT

Bill O
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes, it is the sun that's going down this afternoon and you spelled it correctly.

Charlie
12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
yes, it is the sun that's going down this afternoon and you spelled it correctly.

and the sun goes down here in PA to :D:D:D:D

Steve M
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, it is the sun that's going down this afternoon and you spelled it correctly.

The sun goes down here in Florida also. Kinda cool how that works.

This evening I got to enjoy a fairly rare occurrence for us down here. Something that you New Englanders enjoy on a regular basis. It is wind. Not like the wind we get from thunderstorms which is a regular occurrence but wind from a tight pressure gradient. the southern low passed just northwest of us giving us sustained winds between 20 -30 mph and gusts from 30 -40 mph. It also brought in 10 degree cooler temps with blowing rain and drizzle. I couldn't help but think of all those raw, wet, windy evenings I experienced when I lived in CT. We even lost power for 20 min. when a limb fell across the power lines.

Brad
12-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Well, it looks like at 5:59AM we lost power in Maine. I am sure there is a lot of ice on tree limbs right now.

mtruman
12-12-2008, 06:48 AM
We're now approaching 4 inches of rain in RI from this storm now. In Providence the temperature rose 15 degrees in 10 minutes this morning (to 58 degrees). Rain is horizontal right now. By this afternoon it's going to drop below freezing so that all the flooded roads can turn to skating rinks. Yup, gotta love New England weather...

Bill O
12-12-2008, 07:02 AM
What an immense forecast bust. Warm air made a surge that nobody was expecting. Its 23F in the Champlain Valley in VT but over freezing at the Obs.

We had that same temperature surge overnight as well. 8 degrees in 15 minutes:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCTDARIE1

Brad
12-12-2008, 07:17 AM
It turned to ice and sleet and still is coming down now. It sounds like it is quite a mess in Maine. At 7Am we had a large explosion in the basement - 20 circuit breakers tripped - generator tried to come on and would not - some circuits were working - bad smell in the basement - telephone is out - cable is out - electrician is there sorting things out. The house is now running on generator and I am sure systems will come back online - but it might be a while.

The MWO web camera archive process runs from that house and is not working at this point. If the house is still offline later today i will switch and recreate the process on my laptop here in NC to get the images flowing again.

Bill O
12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Stacey...I wasn't referring to your forecast. Nobody got it right.

JimS
12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Kevin may have started this thread, but I wouldn't expect to hear from him for a few days. No power to most of his and my area, about 3/4 of an inch of ice in the trees, and lots of limbs and lines down. I am up in the mountains, where in gorham everything is fine, but it was a mess in the seacoast.

"officials' are saying it could be til tuesday before all our power is back. Fun!

Brad
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
The MWO web camera archive process runs from that house and is not working at this point. If the house is still offline later today i will switch and recreate the process on my laptop here in NC to get the images flowing again.
Well, we are still running on generator. Since we have a remote level reading system on it I can see on a web site when the tank level gets down below 40% full. At this point the house is running and the internal network is running - well, most of it. But, no internet connectivity.

So, I have set up the gathering and posting of the MWO web camera images to the archive site to run off my laptop. As long as it has connectivity (and it probably will not always have it) then the images will get posted to the site. I am sure tomorrow, Saturday, will be spotty.

Charlie
12-12-2008, 09:36 PM
thanks brad for all the work you do on this .

i hope all is ok at the house

mtruman
12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I thought we were finally through this crazy storm when the sun came out yesterday afternoon. About 1/2 hour later my wife call in a panic to tell me that the basement (which has sheetrock walls and carpeted floor) was flooded and the sump pump wasn't running. Raced home and found that the new sump pump that I installed 6 months ago (because I was paranoid about the 10 year old one dying) had the float stuck. One poke of the finger and it was back working and had the sump and high water drained in 3 minutes. Five hours later the carpets were torn out and sitting at the end of the driveway waiting for the trash pickup. Things are drying out this morning and fortunately nothing perishable was on the floor (besides the carpet). Not exactly the calm after the storm. Could have been worse though...

TrishandAlex
12-13-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks brad for all the work you do on this .

i hope all is ok at the house

Ditto, what he said!

TrishandAlex
12-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Mark, I'm sorry about the carpets! We haven't been up to our teeny tiny NH cabin yet, don't know what we'll face when we get there.

I hope the fall-out from this storm isn't too bad for anyone on this forum.

Tim&Val
12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I hope all are safe out there. I'm sure that Kevin and Judy are doing fine. They've got lots of cold-weather equipment to help them out.

In Ashland, we had no power yesterday from about 6:15AM until 4PM. But, we had the generator going and Tim started a fire in the wood stove in the basement, so we were fine.

Lunch was prepared on the front porch via Jetboil. :D

We didn't get nearly the ice that they saw in southern NH. It was more of a snow-then-rain event at our house. Still, LOTS of precip. Roads were fine here.

I don't usually get snow days from work because I work out of a home office. "No electricity" is one of the few excuses that is still valid... The cable modem and router, of course, went down immediately with the loss of power. I could work with a *dial-up* connection :mad: for a couple hours until the laptop battery ran out.

Valerie

Brad
12-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Our cabin in Maine is still on generator and will be that way at least into Monday - probably longer. So, my wife has heat and water from the well. Many things do not work though. Some light bulbs broke - wall outlets are fried - wall switches can not turn the light off - several lights do not work - one brand new HD TV does not work - dishwasher - stove/oven. We are not sure about one furnace as it smoked and sparked when they tried to go back on street power.

It turns out our neighbors have a long list also. I will not know about several things till I get there mid-week.

But they are comfortable and dry.

My sister in NH is a different story - no power - no telephone - no heat - no water. And it is getting real cold in there. They are bundled up fully dressed in bed to stay 'warm". I was about to buy a generator here in NC and drive it up tonight and at least get the furnace running. Turns out I found a friend in Maine with a spare generator - he and another friend are driving over in the morning and will hook the furnace to the generator and get heat in the house. There are lots of tough stories for sure.

Charlie
12-14-2008, 07:34 PM
wow brad i am glad thats all that happened to your house

you wife must be a very calm person to be able to go through this with out you

if you need help with any thing i will be up there sat and sun ,just say the word

Brad
12-14-2008, 08:13 PM
It seems these types of major events always happen when I am not there. Right now we do not know the status of the wiring in the house or what things will have to be replaced. The key is the generator is running and keeping everything going which is great.

Living in a small town is great as the local folks are wonderful. We have gotten all sorts of help.

MsCntry
12-14-2008, 08:19 PM
We were far enough north that we got lucky not to lose power at all. We had several trees down and the rivers and streams are all about 1 1/2 to 2 ft above their banks though.

Hope everyone else is ok!!

JimS
12-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Well, I went and hid in the mountains, and just got back to southern NH. The scene here is astounding. Gas lines, no stop lights or street lights, whole sections of drive just dark. Limbs are down everywhere. Mountains seemed to dodge the bullet, so trails will likely be fine this winter north of the Ossipees...

Our place got power and internet last night, so went and cleaned out the fridge...freezer seemed fine. We are lucky...most of my coworkers have no power still, and my high school is a shelter. I feel fortunate to have heat and water today, and may go see if I can help out somewhere today...lots of that going on too which is great!

I've heard reports that parts of southwest NH may be lucky to be fully restored by x-mas...such a huge task!

KathyC
12-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Wow, I'm really sorry that all of you are going through this.

Brad
12-15-2008, 05:55 AM
We mounted a rescue team of sorts for my sister and her daughter is western NH yesterday. 2 friends from Maine drove over (3 hours) with a generator to hook up the furnace and at least give them heat. The generator worked in Maine before they started and also after getting there. They figured out what they needed for power cables and plugs (the house was wired for a generator) by calling back to our electrician in Maine.

2 people went off and to find the parts and saw long lines of folks trying to buy generators and parts. They got all but one plug and by calling around they could not find a plug in NH or VT. But, they did find one back in Maine. So, another friend in Maine picked up the part and met them half way in Meredith, NH (I know that MacDonald's well). Back to the house and hooked things up to then have the generator not start.

We found out from NC the "local Home Depot" was closing in 45 minutes and they had 20 generators left. So, off they raced in the truck and bought one of the last 7 generators. At 10:30 last night they could feel heat for the first time since midnight Thursday night. I am sure there are lots of stories - and unfortunately lots of folks still without power.

Steve M
12-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I had no idea things were that bad up there. Must be a narrow stretch of area?

Charlie
12-15-2008, 06:12 PM
brad im glad things worked out for her
how are things at your place

Brad
12-15-2008, 07:28 PM
We are now on street power - I am heading north to see what works and what is toast. At this point the toasted list is a new HDTV, stove/oven, dishwasher and a bunch of light switches. Some of the new low energy light bulbs did not do well - blew up. Both furnaces have to be cleaned - then a part replaced in one furnace. House network status is not known nor the computer for MWO image archiving or network disk backup unit or color laser printer or, or, or.

Not much traffic heaed north.

Brad
12-15-2008, 07:30 PM
The hardest hit areas were southern NH and Mass. I know someone in NH who needed a part for a generator. He had to go to Cape Cod to find the part. We had to go 3 hours east to Maine to find the same part.

Bill O
12-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I think homeowner's covers damage from power surges. Not sure about the local utility's responsibility is. If your equipment was hooked up to a reputable power strip brand it might also be covered by that company.

Charlie
12-15-2008, 09:20 PM
brad have a safe trip and like i said if you need something or help with any thing just ask

Brad
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Charlie, thank you. Once I got into CT it started to rain and it looks like it will be this way for the rest of the drive. I am at the rest area on the Mass Pike now - doing well timewise.

KD Talbot
12-18-2008, 10:16 PM
We just got our power back about 1/2 hour ago. Just a few hours short of entering day 8. Lost power at 1am on the 11th. Do I get my winter camping badge now? Nope, it wasn't winter! I'll get back to ya!

KDT

Brad
12-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Wow - did you have a generator? I am hearing more stories of burst pipes now from that storm. Good you got power back now as we are to receive the next storm at 4pm today and you are to get hit harder than us.

KD Talbot
12-19-2008, 06:51 AM
We were able to run a line from my neighbors generator so we had lights and I could run the TV for DVDs, but no cable. The generator ran 24/7 between the houses about 15 feet from my pillow. Didn't get much sleep the last week, but sort of got used to it. Very loud, not like AC or a fan. We had no water and no heat. Used water from the pond to flush, and we have 2 wood stoves so it never gpot below 50 in the house. My friend had the lines ripped out of the house and is still waiting. One of his pipes burst. He had a generator and was burning wood to keep the house warm. I guess it just wasn't enough. The thought of this next storm was weighing heavily on us. We figured if we didn't have power by the time it hit it would be a few more days. Pictures later.

KDT

Steve M
12-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Glad to hear your both ok. Hopefully the next storm isn't as bad.

MelNino
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Awaiting the storm here in CT.....so far, looks quiet....but I'm remotely working just in case. This will be the first "real" storm, and people in this state tend to panic and forget how to drive. LOL

(of course, watch this storm be nothing....and my boss will laugh at the meteorologist who "hid" ;) )

mtruman
12-19-2008, 09:57 AM
We were able to run a line from my neighbors generator so we had lights and I could run the TV for DVDs, but no cable. The generator ran 24/7 between the houses about 15 feet from my pillow. Didn't get much sleep the last week, but sort of got used to it. Very loud, not like AC or a fan. We had no water and no heat. Used water from the pond to flush, and we have 2 wood stoves so it never gpot below 50 in the house. My friend had the lines ripped out of the house and is still waiting. One of his pipes burst. He had a generator and was burning wood to keep the house warm. I guess it just wasn't enough. The thought of this next storm was weighing heavily on us. We figured if we didn't have power by the time it hit it would be a few more days. Pictures later.

KDT

Ditto the other replies - glad that you guys made it through the ordeal. Figured you were probably in this kind of situation since we hadn't heard from you all week and were hoping things weren't too bad. Glad you're back and hope the next storm doesn't cause you even more grief.

Brad
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
During the big ice storm of 1998 (I think that was the year) we got a generator to just run the furnace. That saved us then. We next installed a panel to control 6 or 8 circuits in the house off the generator. Then we realized my wife could not start the generator - so we moved up to an electric start larger unit.

Finally we got smart and installed a whole house generator with a transfer switch. Wish we had done that in the beginning. The power goes out for 4 seconds and the generator kicks in. Heat, water, refrig, freezers, lights - everything in the house works. It is the way to go for sure if you can do it.

TrishandAlex
12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
KDT, I'm sorry to hear you and your neighbor got hit so hard! I hope this next storm fizzles and turns into a non-event.

mtruman
12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Interesting that I'm looking at this thread that started last week just about this time when we were in the middle of the horrendous rain and ice storm and I'm not looking out the window in what is approaching a white-out in RI. Much better than the last storm though (at least for us). Looks like we may get to use our showshoes tomorrow. Can't wait...

JimS
12-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Uuuggh...sorry to hear you took this outage so rough down there. Bet you are looking forward to getting life back to normal.

Welcome back to the 21st century!

KD Talbot
12-20-2008, 02:28 PM
"I hope this next storm fizzles and turns into a non-event."

Thanks, I appreciate the thought, but looking out the window right now there is snow blowing horizontal across the pond. It's been snowing since 2PM yesterday and we're up to about 10".

Some people have lost their power again, and some haven't got it back yet. They need our thoughts and prayers at this time of year.

What is hard for us right now is my mom's in rehab after falling and fracturing 2 ribs and her shoulder blade. She is recovering slowly, but won't be home for Christmas. With these storms it's been tough to visit her, but we try to everyday. Seeing Emma really helps her mood. Thank goodness they let dogs visit. Her Dr. has a black lab that follows him from room to room as he makes his rounds.

KDT

Brad
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Now that is really cool to allow dogs to visit. It probably helps even more than the other guests.

Charlie
12-20-2008, 08:40 PM
is this a large hospital ,that is strange that they do that but it is good

i know Rosie would love to walk around one and she would be a big hit with the people

i hope she does well and has a quick recovery

KD Talbot
12-20-2008, 08:53 PM
It's a decent sized hospital, no dogs allowed there, but she's at the rehab next door which isn't very large. Great policy, though.

KDT

TrishandAlex
12-21-2008, 07:02 AM
KDT, I'm really, really sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she heals quickly, and that she's out of the hospital soon.

KD Talbot
12-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Trish! We're just glad we were here when it happened and not off on some mountain, or away for the weekend. If we had been I hate to think of the outcome.

Ironically, it is a good thing she was in rehab when the power went out. We would have had to take her somewhere which she wouldn't have wanted to do.

12 degrees out and snowing hard again. Very fine, powdery snow. I'm not much of a meteorologist, not even close, but my observations over the last 50 years are that it is usually much warmer when it snows down here in the flatlands. Yesterday's and today's storms have been very cold, 12-15 degrees with very fine snow, like in the mountains.

KDT

KD Talbot
12-21-2008, 09:32 PM
(Most of this is just a rehash, but I finally got some pictures posted.)

I wish that quote was an original, but I stole it from a sign in front of someone's house. After 164 hours without power that's pretty much how I felt last week. We managed better than many as we have 2 wood stoves. Our neighbor has a generator so we were able to plug in one line and at least have lights and TV, just no cable, so DVDs only. Too bad I only own about 3.

No water because the pump to our well is hard wired. We wouldn't have had any hot water anyway. We used buckets from the pond to flush and went to my brother in laws for showers. We've camped longer and colder, but I'll tell you, it's no fun when it's in your own living room.

There are still some in the area without power. It must be very tough mentally. I know I was at the end of my rope after a week without it. They need our thoughts and prayers. Our power went out again tonight, but thank God it was only for about an hour. I'll tell you, my spirits really sank.

I awoke to Jude shaking me about 2am on Friday the 12th. 65' white pines next to our house were shedding limbs under the weight of the ice. KRACK/BOOM!!!! I was hoping they didn't hit our little pop-up camper parked near them. Luckily they didn't. The power was already out and stayed that way until about 9:15pm the following Thursday, the 18th.

We got up and tried to go to work. Couldn't get to the highway in one direction because of downed trees, so turned around and tried to go the other way. We got about 3 miles, winding back and forth across the road to avoid downed limbs and wires. Stuff was still coming down, some of it hitting our truck. Snowplows were out just to push fallen limbs off the road. We turned around and went home. First time in 26 years either one of us didn't make it to work because of a storm.

Friday's storm brought about 8" of fine powder. It was supposed to just flurry on Saturday, but snowed all day. We had about a foot when the next storm kicked in today. It's been blowing and snowing hard all day. Well over a foot of fine powder on the ground right now, drifting and blowing and hasn't stopped yet.

I took some pictures of the ice storm. The stark beauty belies the devastation.

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/12icestorm1208.jpg

Neighbor's Mailbox

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/22icestorm1208.jpg

View Across the Pond

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/20icestorm1208.jpg

In the Marsh

http://www.ghostflowers.com/forumshots/16icestorm1208.jpg

Neighbor's Cherry Tree

Two or Three days later the ice was gone, just like it never came, but the devastation gave away it's visit in southeast NH. Now we're buried in snow.

There are some places I'd like to visit before the end, but there is no place I'd rather live than right here in New England.

KDT

Steve M
12-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Kevin, thanks for sharing and the photo's are great. Glad to hear your mom is recovering. It is amazing what freezing rain will do. Unlike snow which is able to slip off objects when it gets heavy, ice just sticks and breaks things. At least you all will have a nice white Christmas which can be hit or miss up there from year to year.

Brad
12-22-2008, 07:40 AM
I really like the cherry picture. Not sure how much sow we got from this latest storm. probably a bit over a foot - of very light powder. Already have been up and out for coffee. roads are fine.

billysinc
12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Kevin glad to hear you guys made it through ok. Now I just hope those who are still without power get an early Christmas present.

mtruman
12-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the account of the storm and the pictures Kevin. Makes me very grateful that we had the minimal problems that we did both last weekend and this. In total we wound up with close to 18" of snow this weekend and got to offset the "joy of shoveling" with the joy of getting to use the snowshoes multiple times (which isn't too common in RI the last couple of years). So sorry to hear about your Mom but glad to hear that they are letting Emma visit and cheering her up. Nothing better than pets in a hospital or nursing home to raise the spirits. Every time we brought our Lab to the nursing home when my Dad was there we had a hard time getting away because everyone wanted see him. Hope things settle down for you guys and you have a good holiday - you've certainly earned it with everything you've been through lately.

KD Talbot
12-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Screwiest December I ever remember. 60 degree days. Rain that froze when it landed. Seven days without power. 16 inches of light fluffy powder in one weekend. Howling winds. More rain..

It's 58 degrees out right now.

KDT

Brad
12-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Officially they are saying 46 degrees for us in Maine. But, the thermometer off my son's deck says 40.9 degrees. It is nice to be able to check this with a browser. Remote sensor #2 is the one off his deck (RS #2). This is one of the thermostats in his house - they are all IP network based.

http://octagon.homeip.net:8071/