PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hello...

ColdWeatherClimber
12-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Hello!

I've been a climber, backpacker and avid outdoorsman all my life (I am 40). Just wanted to drop a line here and introduce myself. MWO and the number 231 are practically synonymous with bad weather, and the colder, windier the better for fun times :D

I was born in the north, seen plenty of icy winters. Circumstances brought me to Texas where I currently reside til I have enough money saved up to move northeast. I am a Commercial Diver turned Saturation Technician (I maintain saturation diving habitats and mix breathing gases etc). Most of my twenties I spent climbing (trad, aid, ice, and mountaineering) in Texas, Mexico, New Mexico, and Colorado. 20 years ago I almost joined the American Alpine Club, but I decided to get a new set of crampons instead. Maybe I will join this year.

Keep in good health, and stay warm.

CWC.

MsCntry
12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums!! :D

Steve M
12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Velcome to da forems, cold person! :D

Charlie
12-14-2008, 06:40 PM
welcome CWC

i think you should spend long periods of time in a walk in freezer so your blood can thicken back up after being in the south for so long

glad you stopped by and we do like pictures of peoples hikes so i know you have 1 or 2 out there :D

ColdWeatherClimber
12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Funny you should say that about the pictures. My best friend and life long climbing partner has always been our official photographer. However he still has to convert to the digital age! Gonna have to get on him about that :)

Thanks for the 'warm' welcome haha... Yes I have been living in the south for a while, but I will quickly acclimatize to the bitter cold I knew as a young man. Time to break my ice tools and crampons back out!

mary
12-14-2008, 08:38 PM
hi....and welcome....you will love this forum....great people and a wealth of knowledge....

Charlie
12-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Time to break my ice tools and crampons back out!

just dont do it there in texas they may look at you a little bit :eek::eek:

BlueDog
12-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Welcome! You'll find some great folks and tons of info here. Like you, I'm a "southerner" with a yearning to be up north. Time to start making plans to join us for Seek the Peak 09 coming in July!

ColdWeatherClimber
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks Bluedog! However I am a northerner, disguised as a southerner for the time being til I can get back north!! I have been thinking of moving to Connecticut or Maine.

BlueDog
12-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I've lived all over the place (military family), and spent a little less than 2 years in Londonderry, NH. That must be all it took as that was more than 20 years ago, and yet I still feel like I'm coming home when I cross that state line. As much as I would love to move up, my wife is not as much a fan of the cold as I am!

TrishandAlex
12-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Welcome!!!:D:D:D

Patrad Fischroy
12-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I hope your disguise is better than mine was when I lived there, They tagged me as a carpetbagger.

Charlie
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
As much as I would love to move up, my wife is not as much a fan of the cold as I am!

my wife does not like the cold to much but she knows how much i relay want to move to the north so she will do it when kids are out of school in 3yrs :D:D:D:D

BlueDog
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
my wife does not like the cold to much but she knows how much i relay want to move to the north so she will do it when kids are out of school in 3yrs :D:D:D:D

So there's hope for me yet! :)

ColdWeatherClimber
12-15-2008, 10:53 PM
My wife is divorcing me, and said she would divorce me anyway because of moving north. I told her she could keep Texas, it's too hot there. So I am trying to get a new lease on life. Starting over at 39, but it's ok because I will be able to get back to the mountains and other things I enjoy that I missed.