PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Stoves

ColdWeatherClimber
12-19-2008, 02:44 AM
What's the scoop on Hanging Stoves these days? I had an old Bibler but eventually wore it out. Don't seem to be on the market anymore and I noticed these Jetboil stoves with hanging kit? However the stove has no setting, just full blast, no simmer or adjustment......

Saw the JB here-
http://www.rei.com/product/756472

My friend has an Omni-fuel and likes it, but it's not a hanger and not easily modified. What's everyone using this day and age?

I just found some nice information on ideas to modify non-hanging stove models like the Omni-Fuel ----->

http://www.climbing.com/print/techtips/ttbigwall184/

dangergirl
12-19-2008, 06:50 AM
We made our own, but the most important thing is to test it at home first. We had a couple of meltdowns until we found materials that can handle the heat. We love our little stove! There are plenty of websites that have info as well.

Bill O
12-19-2008, 08:13 AM
We made our own as well. I remember when lots of stoves had hanging kits. Nobody does it anymore because of the liability.

Cooking in your tent is a means to an end. You're not looking to saute mushrooms. You are mostly melting snow and making hot water for a warm meal.

ColdWeatherClimber
12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
What are you two using? I am considering making a set up for the Omni-Fuel. My friends works great and it seems very sturdy. I am sure I can put something lite weight together. Cable fishing leaders might be good for hanging cables (lite and fairly strong too).

Bill O
12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I think its an MSR Pocket Rocket. I haven't actually seen it in awhile so I don't remember the exact setup. It uses thin wire and crimps to secure everything.

I'd go online and search, lots of info on making one yourself. Probably even some videos on YouTube. There are probably some videos of when hanging stoves go bad as well.

BlueDog
12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I have a JetBoil and no problem adjusting the flame. I LOVE that thing!

ColdWeatherClimber
12-19-2008, 10:52 PM
BlueDog which Jetboil do you have? I had read there was no flame adjustment in a review. Also read it was only good for -10F. Of course I find the cold rating a little un-believeable because everyone basically uses the same canister fuel, even for 8KM peaks.

donnellyvj
12-20-2008, 08:32 AM
BlueDog which Jetboil do you have? I had read there was no flame adjustment in a review. Also read it was only good for -10F. Of course I find the cold rating a little un-believeable because everyone basically uses the same canister fuel, even for 8KM peaks.

I have had no problem with the flame control on my Jetboil (standard model). I would not trust the cold rating of -10F. I have had problems with freeze up around 10F above. I have adjusted to keeping my fuel in my coat or using my Whisper Light when its real cold. But, I love my Jetboil.;)

ColdWeatherClimber
12-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I have pretty much resigned to buying the Omni-fuel like my buddy has, and making a hanging kit for it...... The Jetboil just seems kind of like a 'trendy' stove. Wish they still sold the ol' Bibler hanging kit. Oh well, I'll make my own and try to post it up when I get to it.

Right now I am offshore since October. I should hit land, possibly around 5 January..... :)

BlueDog
12-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I started with the standard one.. in fact the "Java Kit" that comes with the parts for a coffee press. I've since added on the pan, pot and compact utensils. I've been very happy with its performance and two friends that have borrowed it for trips came home and went right to the local outfitters and bought one. It boils water very quickly and packs up into a nice self-contained package.

As for extreme cold and altitude, well, we don't get that down here in Virginia, so I can give you any real world experience with it. But so far, it one product that performs as advetised in my experience.