PDA

View Full Version : thunderstorms last summer in the Whites -- more than usual..?

TrishandAlex
12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm curious what to expect next summer....I know mountain weather can change frequently and to always be prepared, etc.

My question is this: did the White Mountains experience more thunderstorms during the summer than it usually does? Did we have an unusually rainy/stormy summer, or was that the norm..?

Thanks, Trish

TrishandAlex
12-22-2008, 07:39 AM
On other forums during the summer, hikers were bemoaning the constant rain and making remarks about how unusual it all was....I was wondering if the amount of rainfall was unusual, perhaps the amount of thunderstorms were too..? (Like the amount of snowfall last season was much more than the "norm.").

Bill O
12-22-2008, 08:24 AM
You might be onto something. June had 10.00" of rain, 1.64 above normal with 22 days of precip and 8 with thunder. July had 12.88", 4.86" above normal with 20 days of precip and 9 with thunder August had 11.35", 3.27" above normal with 18 days of precip and 5 with thunder.

TrishandAlex
12-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Bill. Where did you get the info? (I apologize if the link has been given out before, for some reason I can't find it, I am losing brain cells as I get older).

Bill O
12-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Its on the F6. You can find the links on Mount Washington's "weather" page.

Steve M
12-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Bill. Where did you get the info? (I apologize if the link has been given out before, for some reason I can't find it, I am losing brain cells as I get older).

Trish,

The last column of the F6 shows the weather occurrence. If you look below there is a list of weather types with a corresponding number. Those numbers are recorded in that last column. Thunder is #3 so if you look through the days in June you will find 8- #3's in the column. The rest of the report should be self explanatory.

TrishandAlex
12-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks, folks!

mtruman
12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
You might be onto something. June had 10.00" of rain, 1.64 above normal with 22 days of precip and 8 with thunder. July had 12.88", 4.86" above normal with 20 days of precip and 9 with thunder August had 11.35", 3.27" above normal with 18 days of precip and 5 with thunder.

Seems like this has gone on a couple of years in a row now. Somehow we've managed to stay between the soaking weather and get stretches of beautiful days both summers. Each time we've heard the horror stories of people who've been out for a week or two without seeing a single dry day. The numbers seem to prove this out. If the trend continues we'll have to consider selling our services for causing good weather in the Whites. Of course we won't want to be there ourselves since it will be too crowded... :rolleyes: