PDA

View Full Version : Hiking goals for 2009

TrishandAlex
12-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Anyone want to share their hiking goals for 2009?

Mine are:

average one NH 4K peak a week

and

help Alex acheive her own NH4K goals

Anyone else want to share?

spyboy
12-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I just want to be able to walk 6 miles a day for exercise. Any trail work would be a bonus!

Plan on hiking to Tucks this spring to shoot panos of the skiers

mtruman
12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Mine are:

average one NH 4K peak a week

and

help Alex acheive her own NH4K goals

Great goals. Wish I could even hope for that. For me it's getting to the mountains as often as possible and hiking as much as I can. Wish I could even hope to be more specific. STP is certainly on the list. Should get a week in July at that time and already have our annual reservation for Acadia in August so that's a couple of weeks for sure. Am going to try for a couple of weekends with the local AMC northern hikes group like I did for FOT48 last fall (hopefully at least one in winter). Shooting for some time in the Adairondaks this summer as well. Next weekend were staying at Cardigan lodge to get at least a little winter hiking in since we aren't going to make it up in Feb this year. Now that I've gone down the list it's starting to sound pretty good. Not quite a 4k a week though. Maybe early retirement and a move up north is in order :rolleyes:

I just want to be able to walk 6 miles a day for exercise. Any trail work would be a bonus!

Plan on hiking to Tucks this spring to shoot panos of the skiers

6 miles a day is an excellent goal. I managed to average 5 a day in 2007 (1700 for the year) but fell way off this year since I didn't have time for my daily 4 miles at lunch at work each day. Probably wound up averaging about 20 miles a week this year. Somehow managed not to put the weight back on that I dropped in '07 (30 lbs) though.

TrishandAlex
12-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey Mark (and anyone else who's in the area next week) -- I'd like to do Tom, Field and Willey next weekend, hopefully Jan 3 (Saturday).* If you feel like doing those peaks, let me know, I'd love the company.* (Alex will not be with me).

faegilr
12-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I want to knock off a couple more 4000 footers. I have 17 right now, would love to be at 30 by the end of next year. Definitely getting that stupid East Osceola off the list this year!

STP is on my list, also...I'm going to train a bit better so that Tuck's doesn't take so much out of me on that last half mile.

And, I'm going to sign up for an Edu-trip for my birthday! Thought I deserved a nice present after this crappy year :)

BlueDog
12-27-2008, 11:31 AM
My goals this year are pretty aggressive, but I guess if I set the goals high and achieve even half, then I'm still in good shape.

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping. I'm actually in the planning stages of this and my laptop is sitting on the topo for the park as I type this. If anyone wants to meet me there I'm looking for someone to hike with! (Either last week of May or first week of June) :)

A winter/snow hike of Mount Washington. Not sure when yet.

Seek the Peak 09 is a must-do of course!

Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.

I'd love to do a Presidential Traverse at some point this year.

I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.

mtruman
12-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey Mark (and anyone else who's in the area next week) -- I'd like to do Tom, Field and Willey next weekend, hopefully Jan 3 (Saturday).* If you feel like doing those peaks, let me know, I'd love the company.* (Alex will not be with me).

Wish I could but my wife and daughter are going to be there and they won't be off skiing this year since we only have a couple of days. T/F/W in the winter may be a bit of a stretch for us this year (particularly my often grumbling 14 year old). If she was only half as ambitious as Alex... I think that the plan is to do Cardigan on Saturday anyway since it's the only full day we'll have. Wish timing was a bit different since I'd really love to join you. Long range forecast sounds pretty good for next weekend (not that I really put any stock in any forecast more than 24 hours out).

mtruman
12-27-2008, 01:22 PM
My goals this year are pretty aggressive, but I guess if I set the goals high and achieve even half, then I'm still in good shape.

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots. Looking at spending several days in the park backcountry hiking/camping. I'm actually in the planning stages of this and my laptop is sitting on the topo for the park as I type this. If anyone wants to meet me there I'm looking for someone to hike with! (Either last week of May or first week of June) :)

Start section hiking the Appalachian Trail. Thinking of tackling it one state at a time starting with Georgia.

I'm sure I'll spend some time in the Shenandoah National Park which is pretty much my backyard.

Now I'm really jealous - particularly about Yosemite. That's #1 on my list of where I want to get to outside of our regular NE locations. The rest of your plans sound great as well.

BlueDog
12-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Now I'm really jealous - particularly about Yosemite. That's #1 on my list of where I want to get to outside of our regular NE locations. The rest of your plans sound great as well.

Now's the time to start making plans. :) Just need to fly yourself out there. I've got just about everything else figure out! I'll be a good training hike for StP 09!

mtruman
12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Now's the time to start making plans. :) Just need to fly yourself out there. I've got just about everything else figure out! I'll be a good training hike for StP 09!

Training for STP on Half Dome huh? Isn't that perhaps a bit backwards? Actually, who cares! Problem is if I went to Yosemite without my family they'd never forgive me. Even my daughter would happily get out and hike every day there. Sure wish I could make it work this year but I'm really afraid it isn't in the cards. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and trip report(s) though. Based on how many you took in one day at STP this year I figure a few days in Yosemite is worth about 5000 or so :D. That kind of scenery makes putting the camera down really difficult. I think I took about 500 or so in one day at Zion. Definitely pack plenty of memory cards...

Jimmy Legs and Little d
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
As it stands now, we are planning a winter hiking trip to New Hampshire for February and would like to possibly have a second trip too. We have hiked 27 of the 48 4,000 footers and figure it may take a few more years to complete. But we are in no hurry.
It would be much easier if we lived closer to our favorite mountains.
In late spring we are planning to go to Nevada (our niece is graduating from college - Reno State Univ) and would like to hike more of the Sierra Mountains near Lake Tahoe. We have summited Mt. Rose, hiked but didn't make it to the top of Mt. Tallac (didn't have our snowshoes) the Buettes and others.
And return in the fall to continue our 48 list.
little d

spyboy
12-27-2008, 07:39 PM
My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking :(

Kirk

6 miles a day is an excellent goal. I managed to average 5 a day in 2007 (1700 for the year) but fell way off this year since I didn't have time for my daily 4 miles at lunch at work each day. Probably wound up averaging about 20 miles a week this year. Somehow managed not to put the weight back on that I dropped in '07 (30 lbs) though.

billysinc
12-27-2008, 09:15 PM
My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.

TrishandAlex
12-27-2008, 09:26 PM
My goal for 2009 is a simple one. To try and meetup with some of you guys and gals for some fun hikes.

Sounds like a plan. :)

TrishandAlex
12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Wish I could but my wife and daughter are going to be there and they won't be off skiing this year since we only have a couple of days. T/F/W in the winter may be a bit of a stretch for us this year (particularly my often grumbling 14 year old). If she was only half as ambitious as Alex... I think that the plan is to do Cardigan on Saturday anyway since it's the only full day we'll have. Wish timing was a bit different since I'd really love to join you. Long range forecast sounds pretty good for next weekend (not that I really put any stock in any forecast more than 24 hours out).

Oh well, we'll meet up again another time. Have fun on Cardigan! That's such a nice mountain, what fantastic views!

krummholz
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Hiking goals:

--Finish NH 100 Highest. I've got nine to go! (Probably the worst is to go back and get Middle Hitchcock. Did South Hitchcock but was so sick of the conditions that we bailed out without going over to Middle.)
--Climb a couple of Colorado Fourteeners. Probably in the San Juans.
--On the same trip, climb Truchas Peak in New Mexico.
--Do some hiking in the Adirondacks and western Maine.

mtruman
12-27-2008, 10:39 PM
My friend is a weight loss doctor that hates prescribing pills to patients, he said everyone should get a pedometer and try to work up to 10,000 steps a day. I asked how many miles that was and he said it's about 6. I used to walk 2-4 everyday and dropped 20 lbs in 2 months (plus eating better).

I'm not fat, I'm just bulking up for winter! And now I think I should start debulking :(

Kirk

Yup, 10,000 steps a day is the "standard goal" for the pedometer. That's normally counting all your regular "getting around" as well as specific fitness walking. When I was counting miles it was just the specific walking for exercise miles. A wore a pedo all the time the first year and found that I averaged about 14,000 steps a day at the 5 mile average (at my stride I get about 2000 steps a mile so there were about 2 extra miles in there for just getting around). You're absolutely right though - if you really do this on a regular basis and get just the 10K the weight is going to come off and you're going to feel great. Of course if you can manage to do it on some nice trails in the woods or better yet on a mountain it's just going to be that much better...

Steve M
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Hiking goals for 09,

Get to a place I can hike....and hike.:)

KD Talbot
12-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year. :)

KDT

Patrad Fischroy
12-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I will walk along the forest trails and marvel at the beautiful wildflowers. I will watch the last of the snows melt off of the mountains. I will listen to the water trickling over the rocks and wonder how long it will be on the earth before it is lifted back into the heavens to fall again. I will lay in an open field and listen to the birds. I will sleep under the stars and moon and when I awake I will watch the sun climb above the horizon. I will feel it warm me as I watch it cast shadows on the surrounding mountains, and I will watch them disappear as the sun claims the sky. I will watch clouds form and dissipate around the mountaintops. I will watch butterflies dance through the air. I will dive into a cold, deep mountain stream. I will be glad that I am alive. Those are my hiking goals this year. :)

KDT

Amen...

And, on a lighter note, don't forget the nekkid 48 :D

CHRIS
12-28-2008, 03:44 PM
That was awesome KDT. I plan on doing alot more hiking in 2009 as I hope to get up north at least every other weekend. I also had lost over 40 pounds :D watching what I ate with the help of my wife and walking a minimum of 5 miles every night after dinner sometimes more when I got into the zone. But of course for one reason or another I stopped walking every now and then and then completely and all of a sudden I don't know where it came from but 20 pounds came back :confused:. I have made a plan to start on Jan. 1st going back to all my old routines and I hope to loss the 20 pounds plus some more by spring.

mtruman
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Kevin, your goals make anything else that any of us could say sound a bit hollow. As Patrad said - Amen, indeed Amen.

dangergirl
01-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi! I have lots of goals, lets see if they come through!!!
Here they are:
Winter Pemi Loop
Winter Presi Traverse
Lots of ice climbing (lead a WI3+)
Learn to backcountry snowboard safely
Lead some friends to the top of Mount Washington in the winter
Take an avalanche course
Alaska 8 day mountaineering course on the Ruth Glacier (in June)
Plan and execute an unguided summit attempt of Mount Rainier in August (5 friends are joining me)
Lots of rock climbing (lead a 5.8)
Run the Vermont 50
Run the Nipmuck Marathon
Do 2 mountain bike races
Do 2 dirtbike races
Get over my fear of kayaking
Take a meteorology course
Put a deposit down on a guided trip up Denali in 2010

Charlie
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
i will set only 1 that way i will do it

to make it to the top for Seek The Peak 2009 ;);)

Brad
01-01-2009, 09:03 PM
i will set only 1 that way i will do it

to make it to the top for Seek The Peak 2009 ;);)
And I will see you do it.

FisherCat
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
1) 5 days of trailwork in June
2) Finish my WM 48 4K's, just 3 left-Owl's Head, Isolation, and Waumbek
3) 2 of those will be hit (Isolation & Waumbek) by one week on the Cohos Trail
4) Trailwork on the Cohos Trail, mostly blazing in the northern sections
5) a long weekend of hiking and trailwork in July
6) more trailwork in August
7) a week of skiing and one snowshoe up MT Tom in February
8) more hiking and a day or two of trailwork in October

TrishandAlex
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
1) 5 days of trailwork in June

Thanks, FisherCat, I had left out something very important!

The week after Alex and I finish the NH 48, we will volunteer for trailwork and make that a regular part of our year from there on out.

WinterWarlock
01-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Wow - this is an ambitious crowd! For me, I'd like to

- Complete at least fifteen more ADK 46rs, putting me halfway through
- Hike in NH and Maine
- Lose 20 pounds
- Visit one National Park this year (did Yosemite last year)
- Improve my xcountry skiing

That should keep me busy enough!

Happy New Year everyone.

Scott

spyboy
01-05-2009, 09:21 AM
If you don't have alot of time to head out west, go to Acadia National Park in Maine.

- Visit one National Park this year (did Yosemite last year)

WinterWarlock
01-05-2009, 09:23 AM
If you don't have alot of time to head out west, go to Acadia National Park in Maine.

It's definitely on the list for '09...trying to put together a one week vacation in Maine, and Acadia is high on that list. Any specific recommendations in Acadia?

mtruman
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
It's definitely on the list for '09...trying to put together a one week vacation in Maine, and Acadia is high on that list. Any specific recommendations in Acadia?

There is some much good stuff in Acadia that it's impossible to list it all. We've spent a week camping there in August the last two years. I posted a really long trip report with a bunch of pictures of our favorite places here: http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4109. The short list of specific recommendations would be Mount Desert Campground for a place to stay, biking the carriage roads (anywhere is good but the ones around Jordan Pond, Eagle Lake and Witch Hole Pond are my favorites) and hiking any of the many mountains with long open ridge walks as listed in the TR. We've stayed away from hiking Cadillac just because I don't feel the need to get to the summit and find the hoards of people that drove up. You should go to the top for sunrise though - not many things more spectacular. If you paddle then a kayak in Somes Sound or around the islands off Bar Harbor is a must as well. Oh, and don't forget all of the fantastic restaurants in Bar Harbor. Like I said, impossible to list everything. The best thing about this location in general is being able to camp in an isolated beautiful waterfront campsite, hike a gorgeous mountain in the morning, stop in town for a nice late lunch and a drink, take a bike ride on the carriage roads in the afternoon, go back and paddle the kayak before dinner and then sit by the shore to watch the sunset. Lots of places to do these individually but no place else I've ever been where you can do them all in the same day.

luvtahike
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
There is some much good stuff in Acadia that it's impossible to list it all.

My family spent a week in Acadia this fall. We loved it and plan to go back next year. The kids loved most of the trip too. We didn't hike much (I'm dealing with knee issues) but plan on doing much more on the next trip. The biking was awesome!

We did some geocaching there too. That led us to some neat places we wouldn't have seen otherwise!

A highlight of the trip was the incredible sunset from the top of Cadillac. It was amazing. There were a lot of people there and everyone was just awed!

A definite MUST DO!

The Beans!
01-16-2009, 11:05 PM
A few years ago, Jason and I were so good at making the time for doing the things we love. We even managed to fit in all of the NH 4000 footers in one 5 1/2 month period- that was a lifestyle I loved. Always outside...

I miss that. Unrealistically, my hiking goal for 2009 would be to quit my jobs and hike forever, wherever. Realistically, I just want to hike more than twice this year! It's no wonder I've been suffering from migraines and stomachaches. It's lack of fresh air! Maybe we'll start working on our VT and ME 4000 footers this year....

mandrewsears@yahoo.com
02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
i am new to this site.i live in minnesota and its been my ambtion to hike from washington state to southern alaska.anyone who can help with info or direction please reply.i would like a companion as well but must be female.the testosterone factor would drive me nuts and im not that way.i would like to set out early spring.if anyone knows of an intermediate route please share.i am kinda knew to the hiking seen,so to speak,i did a lot of it as a young man,and want to re explore before im to old.the northwest is,i think ,the most beutiful and challenging terrain there is.

BlueDog
06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Forgot I had this thread bookmarked. So, now that we are half way through 2009, summer has officially started and the days are now officially getting shorter... how are folks doing on their goals?

Mine were:

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots.

So far, I've got #1 and #4 done. Only 30 days till #3! Need to think about a good time to work on #5.

mtruman
06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Forgot I had this thread bookmarked. So, now that we are half way through 2009, summer has officially started and the days are now officially getting shorter... how are folks doing on their goals?

Mine were:

Yosemite National Park to hike up Half Dome, Clouds Rest and other spots.

So far, I've got #1 and #4 done. Only 30 days till #3! Need to think about a good time to work on #5.

You're going to be in the right location for STP. What the heck, just do #5 the next day. :eek:

BlueDog
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
You laugh... I actually had the crazy thought to do it the day before!