PDA

View Full Version : Brake for moose in winter!!!

forestgnome
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Caution is good anytime, but in winter the moose don't just cross the road, they stand there for a long time licking the salty pavement :eek:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/141copy1.jpg

happy trails :)

Brad
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I drive 70,000 to 80,000 miles a year and have yet to see a moose in the road.

spyboy
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
That's not something I'd be wishing for.

I drive 70,000 to 80,000 miles a year and have yet to see a moose in the road.

Brad
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I know. Friends found one on the Maine turnpike a few weeks ago driving back from Boston. Totaled the car - they were okay.

Steve M
12-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Caution is good anytime, but in winter the moose don't just cross the road, they stand there for a long time licking the salty pavement :eek:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/141copy1.jpg

happy trails :)

Looks like a forest fire behind the Moose.

CHRIS
12-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Really cool picture. I wish I could see as many moose as you do. Last time we were up north for the Stp was the only time in my entire life we got to see five. One walked right beside my truck. It was great.

mtruman
12-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Really cool picture. I wish I could see as many moose as you do. Last time we were up north for the Stp was the only time in my entire life we got to see five. One walked right beside my truck. It was great.

You're still one up (or 5 up) on me. We get up to NH 5-6 times a year including fall and winter, spend a couple of weeks in Maine each year and I still haven't seen a single moose. We did the "rolling moose tour" from AMC Highland Center twice and came up empty both times (even though they saw them on just about every other tour around the same time). When I was at Highland last October I had signed up for another one and decided at the last minute not to go. I joked with a group of guys from Chicago that were going on the tour and had never seen moose that I'd drop out so that they would have a chance. Next morning at breakfast I checked with the driver and of course they saw two that just "hung around while they took pictures". I've pretty much given up. My family calls me "moose repellent". I suspect that I could even keep moose away from Patrick. Of course if he is actually a moose himself as Brad suspects then I'll never see him either :rolleyes:

CHRIS
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
It was great seeing them. We seen two on the way back from the after hike dinner and I almost rear ended one on the way to the Ammo trail. I was looking up at the summit and it was still dark and when I looked down there was one running in front of my truck thank god going the same way. It was maybe 20 feet in front. I am glad I was only going about 15-20 mph. It scared the crap out of me but was awsome. Here is one we seen on the way home from dinner.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb96/CRIVERHD12/SEEK%20THE%20PEEK%2008/nhvacaandstp076.jpg

KathyC
12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I've seen a few along the Kanc. No luck this past October though...:(

TrishandAlex
12-30-2008, 11:31 PM
When Alex and I hike, we leave so early that we almost always see one or two either by the side of the road or ON the road. We didn't see one this morning, but we did a few weeks ago. Two of them, standing in the middle of the road, licking salt, exactly like the one forestgnome took a picture of. I always drive slllooooowwwly in NH (drives my husband crazy) because I'm paranoid about hitting a moose.

LRKimo
01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Do you mean "on" the road or on the side of the road? If you would like to see one on the side of the road, check where the moose tours go. There are roads we take city folks on for "moose trolling" and we always see moose. Sometimes they are even "on" the road.