PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a new member

jcm
12-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Myself and two friends hiked up Washington on Sunday afternoon. I bailed about 150-200ft shy of the summit due to the wind, but they decided to go for it and made it successfully - apparently the wind speed had fallen enough by then to make it ok. I did Washington in February and also as part of the Traverse in the summer, so I wasn't really all that bothered about not making the summit this time :)

Anyway. I'm considering another ascent in the New Year, and possibly seeing if it's possible to get a tour of the Observatory (I'm going to join the MWO).

Jon.

BlueDog
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Welcome! Sounds like a great hike.

The best time to get a tour of the Observatory is in July. More precisely, the 25th (http://www.seekthepeak.org/) is actually the perfect day for a full tour of the place.

:D

Knapper
12-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Jon-

You can tour the obs any time of year. But if you want a winter tour you:

1. Must be a current member.
2. Contact someone in the valley or the summit well before your hike to schedule a possible visit.
3. Once confirmed, contact us the day of and let us know you are coming or if you turn around.

Summers, you do not need to do 2 or 3 unless you are a large group. If it is just you, you just go to the basement museum and check in and sign up for a tour at the top of the hour. If you are not a member in the summer, you can sign up before the tour.

Hope this helps and you get to visit some time in the coming year.

Cheers

Bill O
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
And by winter Ryan means anytime the building is closed to the public.

TrishandAlex
12-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Welcome, Jon! This is a wonderful forum, lots of friendly, knowledgeable folk here.

Brad
12-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Jon, welcome to the group. This is a great place to stop each day and see what is happening.

ColdWeatherClimber
12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the MWOBS Forum. An interesting place :)

Steve M
12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the forums!