PDA

View Full Version : the drive up

shortmike
05-27-2006, 06:01 AM
does anyone know if they are going to open up the auto road to private cars today? id really like to drive up on monday but if they dont open it up past 4.5 miles theres no point of going.

bruno
05-27-2006, 08:23 AM
does anyone know if they are going to open up the auto road to private cars today? id really like to drive up on monday but if they dont open it up past 4.5 miles theres no point of going.

hey mike!! don't DRIVE duder! hike that rascal!! ya see way more and you'll feel real good what with all that spruce-scented oxygen goin' to yer brain! strap on yer boots and yer rucksack and get to it!!! we don't need no stinkin' cars!!!:eek: :eek: :) :) :eek: :)

MelNino
05-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Bruno...what trail do you recommend going up?

bruno
05-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Bruno...what trail do you recommend going up?

hey mel!
dude, there's so many good 'uns. but if ya never hiked up before go up the west side and hike the amanoosuc--jewell loop. a true classic! man i dig that hike. i think it's around 9 or 10 miles.

on the east side (if yer purty sure of yerself and steepness doesn't bother ya though it's only kinda steep for about 20 feet or so:eek: ), take the huntington ridge trail to the alpine garden and then acrost it and up.

for a longer but real wild and watery hike go up the great gulf trail and past spaulding pond (great spot) and up the headwall to the top. lot's of hikin' besde rushing water and all. then loop it by goin' down the wamsutta trail. i think this is about 13 or 14 miles.

i really don't recommend tuckerman's ravine in that it gets all the tourists and all.
:) :) :) :)

if ya never been, yer in for a real treat!!! have fun!!!:) :) :)

MelNino
05-27-2006, 09:57 AM
THanks!! we're gonna be in the area for a week and plan to go up at least twice.....though I do want to explore some other local trails ;-)

shortmike
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
ive hiked it a few times including tucks and the autoroad its self. am taking my father and brother in law up for a ride and neither could even make it a mile without dieing althought that would be an idea. lol. was actually up tucks about 3 weeks ago and hiked a couple of times to do some boarding.