PDA

View Full Version : Any Apple users here?

Gorque
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
A preview (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary) of the latest MacBook

mtruman
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
A preview (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary) of the latest MacBook

I ate an apple at lunch today - does that count? :rolleyes:

Gorque
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I ate an apple at lunch today - does that count? :rolleyes:That depends, was it a Macintosh apple?

Bill O
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
At least you can scroll to the K, which is more than I can say about this Mac I'm using right now. I can only type an uppercase K.

Stephen HawKing does all his typing via one clicK pad.

mtruman
01-05-2009, 10:52 PM
At least you can scroll to the K, which is more than I can say about this Mac I'm using right now. I can only type an uppercase K.

Stephen HawKing does all his typing via one clicK pad.

MaKes sense. There's no K in Mac...

ColdWeatherClimber
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Yes I have an Apple Macintosh iBook G4 and really like it. Trouble free since March 2006 when I powered it up the first time. Try that with a PC.

Gorque
01-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Yes I have an Apple Macintosh iBook G4 and really like it. Trouble free since March 2006 when I powered it up the first time. Try that with a PC.Twas just a joke. No need to get all up in arms about a parody. Perhaps this will make you feel better. :) VISTA (http://blimptv.net/mostpopularV1.html)

Steve M
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
The most apples I use are at Thanksgiving. They are great in pies.

KD Talbot
01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
All the bad puns must mean you guys are hangin' out with Brad.

Someone here used to have the signature:

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at them.

10 years trouble free. What's a virus?

KDT

Brad
01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
All the bad puns must mean you guys are hangin' out with Brad.

KDT
Geepers - folks are picking on me here - too.

M_Six
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I love the iMacs and MacBook Pros. First thing I do is BootCamp them and install WindowsXP. They actually run XP better than dedicated Windows machines. The MacBook Pros are nice machines. Lightweight and sturdy.:cool:

Steve M
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Geepers - folks are picking on me here - too.

Were not poking fun, just commenting on your contagiously witty personality.:)

I had a mac once and it was so foreign to me. Most of the time I just sat there staring at the thing. I have been a pc user for so long I don't know anything else. And I am very good at keeping them running very smoothly.

Brad
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Several years ago my wife was doing contract work for a company in NC. After working there for several weeks she realized why the Adobe products looked a bit different from what she was used to - she was working on Apple. It really did not matter to her which was cool.

KD Talbot
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
"First thing I do is BootCamp them and install WindowsXP"

For the life of me I can't imagine why. Mac OS 10+ is the easiest OS to use and most trouble free in the UNIVERSE. Windows sucks! Not a matter of preference, a matter of fact, from one who is forced to use windows at work and has the pleasure of using Mac OS 10 @ home.

KDT

MelNino
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Some people convert to other religions for their SOs.

I converted to Apple for mine :)

dixiemax
01-07-2009, 07:02 PM
i'll 2nd that...mac os 10+ is the easiest and most trouble free there is!!
in using macs for the last 15 years, i've never had a problem with anything.
love my mac! and apples too!

For the life of me I can't imagine why. Mac OS 10+ is the easiest OS to use and most trouble free in the UNIVERSE. Windows sucks! Not a matter of preference, a matter of fact, from one who is forced to use windows at work and has the pleasure of using Mac OS 10 @ home.

KDT

Gorque
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Do any of you Apple owners build your own rigs?

M_Six
01-07-2009, 08:27 PM

KDT

The university where I work has a Windows Active Directory network and has license agreements with Microsoft. We run MS Office, Exchange, and other MS products. We can add Mac OS's to the AD, but it's a pain, and the Mac users in my department know absolutely nothing about the OS, so they're no help when it comes to troubleshooting. Mac OSX may be ok for a stand-alone laptop or PC, but it's no fun trying to fit it into a Windows environment.

BTW, I've been using Windows for more than a decade and I have no issues at all with it. My personal PC (Pentium III dualie) has run 24x7 since we moved here 7 years ago and it's still running the Windows XP I originally installed on it.

Whether you like Windows, Mac, Linux, or Unix, it's all preference. I find Mac OSX to be non-intuitive and frustrating to use, but I wouldn't state as a fact that it's inferior to Windows. It's just a different flavor, and one I don't happen to like. Like arguing Ford vs Chevy.

UncleFester
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I work in web design and graphics, and whenever a newbie asks me whether they should use a mac or a pc i say the same things: It's not the wand it's the magician, or it's not the stove that makes a great chef.

Stick with what ya know, it's tough trying to re-learn.

Bill O
01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, this thread literally has nothing to do with Mount Washington, but you do need a computer to use the forum and access the MWO site so I guess we can keep it going.

What is it like running Windows on OS X Leopard? Is it an easy setup/installation? I tried doing it with an earlier version of Boot Camp / OS X and it was a pain, but now that Boot Camp is included in OS X maybe it is easier.

What about iWork? The 2009 version looks like it could really replace MS Office. What are the drawbacks I am missing? I do quite a bit of work on Excel. I have little need for Outlook so I wont be missing that.

KD Talbot
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
"Well, this thread literally has nothing to do with Mount Washington"

Yep, it's right up there with cat poop, but I suppose there is a cat on Mount Washington.

"Like arguing Ford vs Chevy."

True.

KDT

Brad
01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Picky, picky, picky. That is why this is called the General Discussion area.

M_Six
01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Boot Camp doesn't run Windows on top of OSX. It splits the hard drive and runs Windows natively, by itself. It sets up a dual boot where you can pick which OS you want to boot up. It works great for folks who prefer one OS over the other but need certain aspects of the other OS, like my Mac users who prefer to use Outlook with our Exchange server or SPSS for stats. They can boot into Windows for those and use Mac for everything else. We have Windows users who like the graphics/photo/video features of Mac OSX. They boot into Mac OSX to use those features and then go back to Windows for everything else. Setup is basically simple once you start the Boot Camp Assistant. It's actually easier and more streamlined than installing a fresh copy of Windows on a Dell machine.

Just to keep this somewhat on topic, what OS do they use at the Observatory?

Bill O
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Mostly Windows. Maybe some Linux here and there.

I think I actually had problems with Parallels not Boot Camp.

h2oeco
01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
There's also a Mac Pro at the summit and one in the valley, for video work, etc.

Ed

mtruman
01-09-2009, 09:16 AM

Yep, it's right up there with cat poop, but I suppose there is a cat on Mount Washington.

True.

KDT

Interesting that a discussion of Windows would wind up with a reference to cat poop in it. Not that I'm saying anything here :rolleyes:. Just to be clear, I'm a Windows user and always have been. Never owned a Mac (even though when the first Mac was announced I was working for an Apple development company and went to the rollout). Just because I use and develop on Windows doesn't mean that I have to like it though and that it shouldn't be compared to cat poop.

KD Talbot
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
I wasn't comparing Windows to cat poop, I was comparing threads that have nothing to do with MW. But, now that you mention it... ;)

KDT

BlueDog
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Do any of you Apple owners build your own rigs?

That's the nice thing about Macs.. they come pre-built! :)

Brad
01-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I have had worms in some of my apples though.

Gorque
01-09-2009, 12:21 PM
That's the nice thing about Macs.. they come pre-built! :) Only Macs are sold built? I wonder what Mikey Dell sells then? Last I checked, no fruit in his boxes. :D

mtruman
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I wasn't comparing Windows to cat poop, I was comparing threads that have nothing to do with MW. But, now that you mention it... ;)

KDT

I know, but I couldn't resist. And I also expected this response :)

BlueDog
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Only Macs are sold built? I wonder what Mikey Dell sells then? Last I checked, no fruit in his boxes. :D

But when the packing looks like a cow... what comes out the other end might stick just as much. :p

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/20673.jpg

M_Six
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Only Macs are sold built? I wonder what Mikey Dell sells then? Last I checked, no fruit in his boxes. :D

Mikey Dell's been selling cat poop lately. ;)

Bill O
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
But when the packing looks like a cow... what comes out the other end might stick just as much. :p

My Gateway laptop has been going strong for five years now.

Steve M
01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I won't have a store bought name brand PC. I always build my own. I get a lot more bang for my buck and I know what I have when I'm done.

Gorque
01-10-2009, 07:36 AM

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/20673.jpg

What's inside is the stuff that real men prefer, red meat and in various varieties and cuts. :D

Gorque
01-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Mikey Dell's been selling cat poop lately. ;) He has? I see he sells Vista, XP, and Linux, but no Panther's, Tiger's, or Leopard's, oh my! :D

The last box I bought was in '95. Home made is the way to go for savings, quality and in variety. In about an hours time, the box is up and running and in about another hour the OS is installed. 2 hours of labor and over $500.00 in savings. And it's even easier now than it was 10 years ago. No dip switches to set for voltage, cpu, or memory, as it's all done in the BIOS now. :)

Are you Apple folk able to build your own as well or are you only allowed to buy pre-built?

Brad
01-10-2009, 08:32 AM
My biggest issue is those updates that come overnight from Redmond. They seem to mess up a system that was running just fine. I have sent 2 systems back to the manufacturer for support only to find it was not a hardware problem - it was the SP3 update from Microsoft.

Gorque
01-10-2009, 08:47 AM
My biggest issue is those updates that come overnight from Redmond. They seem to mess up a system that was running just fine. I have sent 2 systems back to the manufacturer for support only to find it was not a hardware problem - it was the SP3 update from Microsoft.I switch auto-update to off. :)

Steve M
01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I switch auto-update to off. :)

Good idea. Auto updates from Microsoft can be a big problem. I have fixed several computers for people who got an update that crashed their system.

ColdWeatherClimber
01-12-2009, 10:35 PM

True.

KDT

More like arguing Ford VS Ferrari.... the Mac being the Ferrari.

Gorque
01-13-2009, 08:42 AM
More like arguing Ford VS Ferrari.... the Mac being the Ferrari.

Ford: inexpensive to purchase, inexpensive to operate, reliable and supported by a vast network of dealerships.

Ferrari: expensive to purchase, expensive to operate, unreliable, dealerships few and far between.

Yup, great analogy. :D

ColdWeatherClimber
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
You really are an argumentative type aren't you?

PCs are notoriously buggy, lose data, get viruses, are SLOW, and generally poor performers all around. Macs don't get viruses, are stable and trustworthy to a fault, but yes you pay a bit more for them. The price for a MAC is well worth it for the headaches you will NOT experience as a Mac owner.

BlueDog
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
As seen in a recent gizmodo article on Windows 7...

*pours gas on the fire then runs away *

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/01/win7bsod_01.jpg

mtruman
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
I think that it's darned nice of them to shut down to prevent damage to the computer :rolleyes:

Good news is if you don't turn the computer back on the message won't show up again and the problem is solved

Just a poll - how many of the Mac users here have a Process Explorer window open on their second screen (like I do on my PC right now) trying to find a memory leak :mad:

Gorque
01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
You really are an argumentative type aren't you?"Pot to kettle. Pot to kettle. Come in kettle."
*Kettle here*
"You're black" :D

PCs are notoriously buggy, lose data, get viruses, are SLOW, and generally poor performers all around. Macs don't get viruses, are stable and trustworthy to a fault, but yes you pay a bit more for them. The price for a MAC is well worth it for the headaches you will NOT experience as a Mac owner.Oh really? My 2+ year old pc is not buggy, hasn't gotten a virus, is FAST amd is generally a good performer all around. ;) And Macs do get viruses. linky (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/apple_mac_av_advice/)

So please don't get militant with me because you got fleeced in paying more for a product that at the end of the day does the exact same thing that a PC can do for much less. :p

ColdWeatherClimber
01-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry guy, but I took computer engineering classes in college, worked on PCs, and generally learned to hate them over time. Discussion over, I am not debating you over an inferior product.

Gorque
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Sorry guy, but I took computer engineering classes in college, worked on PCs, and generally learned to hate them over time. Discussion over, I am not debating you over an inferior product.Nor would I want to debate over an Apple myself. :D

What's next? You're 6' 4", weigh 230 lbs and can break bricks with your pinky? :eek:

Trekker
01-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey KDT - we're a little switched . . . I have the Mac at work and the frustrating PC at home . . . (hardly ever turn it on at home . . . too many issues)
And Uncle Fester - like you, I work in the graphic arts industry. And yes, I agree that it's the person using the machine, not the machine, that makes the difference, but I'm surprised that you didn't mention that 99% of the graphics industry considers the Mac the norm.
All in all it IS all in what you get used to . . .

Gorque
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
My wife is also involved in the graphics industry (she works for the Taunton Press (http://www.taunton.com/)) and she is constantly switching back and forth during the day between her Mac and her PC.

KD Talbot
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I use the mac for graphics at home and the pc for spreadsheets at work. We use pc's at work because they're cheap.

KDT

h2oeco
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
...We use pc's at work because they're cheap...KDT

You get what you pay for... :-)

Gorque
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I use the mac for graphics at home and the pc for spreadsheets at work. We use pc's at work because they're cheap.

KDTMy wife uses the PC at work because she finds Outlook to be a more feature rich email program than Entourage. The other reason is whenever the Mac saves an Excel spreadsheet, it's of no further use to the PC's due to some type of data corruption in the way that the Mac OS saves a file. So considering that the world of business runs on PC's......:rolleyes: