PDA

View Full Version : Something scary woke me up

UncleFester
01-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I live in a pretty rural part of ct with some farm fields around me. Last night I was woken up by what I can only describe as a wolf howling and really loud whimpering sounds like something being killed.

Any idea what that might have been? Do coyotes howl like that?

I got my super bright halogen light and shined it into the trees where the noise was and it immediately stopped. That was the freakiest thing I've ever heard. :eek:

CHRIS
01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Maybe it was Bigfoot with a belly ache :eek:.

Bill O
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Coyotes howl like that.

mtruman
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Definitely coyotes. We've had some of the most blood curdling sounds in the woods behind our house including howling, yelping and the screams (sorry if that's a bit graphic) of things that they are obviously killing. Not something that you want to wake up to in the middle of the night...

UncleFester
01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Seriously, not much scares me, but being woken by those sounds is not something i want to hear again.

Out of curiousity, we have a lot of wild turkeys and deer in our yard, is this what the coyotes could have been dining on?

Definitely coyotes. We've had some of the most blood curdling sounds in the woods behind our house including howling, yelping and the screams (sorry if that's a bit graphic) of things that they are obviously killing. Not something that you want to wake up to in the middle of the night...

Rich
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Seriously, not much scares me, but being woken by those sounds is not something i want to hear again.

Out of curiousity, we have a lot of wild turkeys and deer in our yard, is this what the coyotes could have been dining on?

Mmmm, those are delicacies to coyotes!!

You didn't happen to watch "30 Days of Night" last night on Starz, where the members of an Alaskan town must fend off hungry vampires during their month of darkness, did you? Well, I did! I thought I heard howling all night too!

mtruman
01-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Possible but more likely something small like a rabbit. You can't believe the sound that they make when they are in pain.

JimS
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree with above, and will add one more thought...

Coyotes make some impressive sounds, so that's most likely.
Rabbits and Hares are known to make wretched sounds under stress, so that is a possibility.

But...

The scream of a fisher cat is the most eerie sound I've ever heard...

BlueDog
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Down here in the more rural area of Northern Virginia, the coyotes then to dine on chickens, fox and rabbits. They are free game to shoot if on your property as well.

billysinc
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Like Chris says, I gotta believe it was Bigfoot being abducted by a UFO. Those things sceam like heck when they're being taken.

But it could also be a coyote.

I saw one running down the median strip of Rt 295 in Warwick a couple of weeks back. Definately an attention getter.

I was camping on Mt Tom alone a couple of years back and heard similar screams not too far away. Didn't sleep much after that.

UncleFester
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I've heard the sounds of bigfoot doing an "probing" of an alien, that's a bad sound too ;)

Like Chris says, I gotta believe it was Bigfoot being abducted by a UFO. Those things sceam like heck when they're being taken.

But it could also be a coyote.

I saw one running down the median strip of Rt 295 in Warwick a couple of weeks back. Definately an attention getter.

I was camping on Mt Tom alone a couple of years back and heard similar screams not too far away. Didn't sleep much after that.

Brad
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Interesting thread. Yesterday around 4:30 PM I was walking the dog and stopped to talk to a friend who drove by. As we were talking we heard a howl that stopped both of us - and the dog. It was a coyote up in the woods maybe 1/2 mile from us - could have been even just 1/4 mile away. Turns out several neighbors have seen him wandering around. He is living in a pile of stumps up in a clearing.

Our house is very tight. A snowmobile could drive by the house and we would not hear it. Plus, I am hard of hearing. Last night as I was working in my home office I could hear the howls.

KD Talbot
01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Without hearing the sounds my 1st guess would be Fisher. I couldn't find a sound bite MP3, but there is some stuff on youtube. Their scream is likened to a dying woman or child. If you hear it you will never forget it, I'll tell you that much.

They'll kill things as big as porcupines and ground nesting birds like turkeys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSbfLzNqao

KDT

Uncas
01-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I live in a pretty rural part of ct with some farm fields around me. Last night I was woken up by what I can only describe as a wolf howling and really loud whimpering sounds like something being killed.

Any idea what that might have been? Do coyotes howl like that?

I got my super bright halogen light and shined it into the trees where the noise was and it immediately stopped. That was the freakiest thing I've ever heard. :eek:

WoW, hey I run the site www.damnedct.com Please visit and leave a comment under our cryptozoology(sp) section.

UncleFester
01-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Went on youtube, it was definitely a coyote I heard.

JimS
01-06-2009, 03:56 PM

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's
and His hair was perfect ...

KD Talbot
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
You could learn a lot from that werewolf. :eek:

KDT

donnellyvj
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Without hearing the sounds my 1st guess would be Fisher. I couldn't find a sound bite MP3, but there is some stuff on youtube. Their scream is likened to a dying woman or child. If you hear it you will never forget it, I'll tell you that much.

They'll kill things as big as porcupines and ground nesting birds like turkeys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSbfLzNqao

KDT

And Cats. A fisher cleared my neighbor hood and the surrounding ones of outdoor domestic cats. I heard this happening one night and it didn't sound nice at all. I quickly ran inside. If you have cats keep them insde for a bit. We had missing cat signs up all over the place. It was sad.

Brad
01-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Went on youtube, it was definitely a coyote I heard.
I listened to a couple of videos. I heard a coyote howling for sure.

Steve M
01-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree with above, and will add one more thought...

Coyotes make some impressive sounds, so that's most likely.
Rabbits and Hares are known to make wretched sounds under stress, so that is a possibility.

But...

I have heard different people living in CT tell me about the fisher cat. From what I understand they are ferocious animals.

billysinc
01-06-2009, 10:54 PM
I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's
and His hair was perfect ...

I wish I had hair.:eek:

Patrad Fischroy
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I

Is that when he hits his foot with the shovel on a trail maintenance tour?

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=fishercat

MelNino
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Never seen a fisher cat in CT.....saw many coyotes before (and lost a cat to one :( )

About the turkeys, I saw a wild turkey walking down the streets of West Hartford, CT right before Thanksgiving! :) I see 'em when I'm driving all the time, never saw one in the major town :)

mtruman
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
We have Fisher Cats in the woods near us as well (although I've never heard them right in back of the house like I have the coyotes. The sound of a pack of coyotes howling or killing some sort of prey is definitely scary - but it is nothing compared to the sound of a single Fisher Cat. If you hear it once you definitely remember it.

Brad
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
This would be a bit scary to wake up to also.

Patrick? Are you okay?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2009/01/10/brunetti.loose.moose.kxly