PDA

View Full Version : Hike and Ride

Flippin
01-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Good Morning everyone. Im trying to find a some good places that can be hiked and then skied down. Wachusett in Mass is pretty good. Nice trails up the back side to hike up. Does anyone know of any other good ones that rent too too far from Boston? I dont want to just hike up the side of a ski slope, but I want to ski down one.

Thanks

Bill O
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
You want to hike up a ski mountain and snowboard down the ski runs? But you want to hike up a "foot" trail opposed to the actual ski run?

Sounds miserable. Most people who hike to ski try to stay as far away from ski areas as possible. Otherwise they just pay to use the resort.

Flippin
01-07-2009, 10:48 AM
You get the great workout of the hike and the quietness of the trail, then you get the openness of an established ski slope. Plus the adventure of dodging maniacs. Its a win win.

Where would you recommend for a good hike and ride? I would say skiing/snowboarding levels are intermediate so I wouldnt feel safe skiing down something too intense.

But thank you for your opinion

Bill O
01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
If you're not an advanced skier I guess your method makes sense. You don't find wide open backcountry skiing for intermediates on the east coast.

I guess its just a matter of looking. I'm sure most ski areas have trails going up the back.

billysinc
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I hear of people who hike up then ski down the east side of Cardigan which is less than 2 hours from Boston. I don't how true that is but a guy I talked to said he's done it.

UncleFester
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
One time at Killington, the wind was so bad the top half of the mountain was closed, so I decided to hike me and my board up to the top because it don't look so bad. By the time I got to the top i was sweaty and exhausted, of course i had on the wrong boots to be hiking in, but all the snowboard clothing didn't help because i was more insulated than usual. Also carrying that board was a lot of extra weight.

All that for one run down was not worth it.

mtruman
01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I hear of people who hike up then ski down the east side of Cardigan which is less than 2 hours from Boston. I don't how true that is but a guy I talked to said he's done it.

Cardigan was originally built as a back country ski lodge by the AMC. There are 50 miles of trails (both cross country and downhill). There were a bunch of people when we were there last weekend who were hiking up and either skiing or snowboarding down. The trail network is perfect for that. The hiking trails are well packed and can usually be hiked up in just boots (no showshoes or traction needed) and the trails are single use (skiing isn't allowed on the hiking trails and hikers aren't allowed on the ski trails) and the hiking and ski trails all connect in multiple locations so there are lots of options for getting up and down. There seems to be a pretty good combination of levels in the ski trails in terms of difficulty. You can get the basic info on Cardigan here: http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/cardigan/index.cfm

There's some additional good info on NH back country skiing (including a video of a couple of the Cardigan trails) here: http://hikethewhites.com/ski.html

Bill O
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
...By the time I got to the top i was sweaty and exhausted, of course i had on the wrong boots to be hiking in, but all the snowboard clothing didn't help because i was more insulated than usual. Also carrying that board was a lot of extra weight.

All that for one run down was not worth it.

Skiers and riders can get away with that since they have an escape route, but lots of hikers and ice climbers get themselves into trouble on Mount Washington doing that. They get hot and sweaty climbing then they reach an exposed ridge and flash freeze. They don't usually turn directly into popsicles, but you'd be amazed how quickly you can become hypothermic and lose dexterity.

donnellyvj
01-07-2009, 01:45 PM
The Long Trail runs up the skiers right of Pico in Killington, VT. It starts right across the street from "The Inn At LongTrail" and is pretty well traveled. This one is very easy to find and will take right to the top of Pico Peak. You can pick from 4 or 5 trails ("summit glades" is a great trail). Most of the good backcountry people like to keep to themselves though. This is TOP SECRET STUFF you know. Good luck and have fun with whatever you find.

krummholz
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Jay Peak is another obvious one. Take the Long Trail from Route 242. Cannon of course via the Kinsman Ridge Trail. Wildcat via Wildcat E Trail (but you'll need crampons and ice axe for that one).