PDA

View Full Version : Major coldwave around Jan 17?

treant985
01-09-2009, 03:52 PM
In his most recent blog post (http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=weathermatrix), Jesse Ferrell at accuweather.com talks about how some models are showing a pretty major cold wave coming to the NE in about a week (Jan 17).

It almost certainly won't get this cold, since the model can't account for a lot of factors, but it currently shows that NYC could reach -13F, with places in eastern PA hitting -30F!

Any of the more-abled meteorologists out there taken a look at the long-range forecast to see what kinds of temps might be seen in NH, ME, and upstate NY?

Bill O
01-09-2009, 04:10 PM
-13F in NYC would be amazing, not to mention a major disaster. I imagine the city would totally shutdown.

I have heard about this coming cold wave. A few days ago it was mentioned in a weekly weather newsletter I subscribe to. Over the past couple days I've heard it being downplayed as well.

As for actual temps, I have no idea. I do know that its been extremely cold in Alaska. -40 to -60 for the past few days.

Bill O
01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
The 15-day pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey "forecast" at Accuweather doesn't buy it. They have a low of 9F where I live next Saturday.

Edit: I renew my disapproval of Accuweather. NYC NWS is forecasting a high of 15F on Thursday, Accuweather comes in at 22F. I'm convinced that no real people actually do any forecasting there.

treant985
01-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Yea, a lot of the mainstream forecasts show cold air--but nothing even close to record temps.

Still, it'd be amazing if this kind of air actually comes down. I'd really look forward to seeing what kinds of temps would happen in places like Saranac Lake and of course MWO.

Charlie
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
bill you are right i dont think a lot of the TV weather people know how to predict the weather because all they say all the time is that the predictor says the weather is going to do ????. also the one is so hooked on there supper Doppler

last week we were to get hit with a big storm and a lot of places closed and we got rain
now today they started with we are to get oner 6" of snow tonight it is down to 1-3 :rolleyes: by morning who knows

JimS
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I just looked at the long range models through the period...and sure thing...it looks mighty cold. 850mb temps (~4000 feet depending on thickness) are set to go as low as -33C. I don't think I remember seeing that last winter...and I've never seen below -39C. So, if this plays out, the summit could be looking at some mid -30s F. Will be worth watching how this plays out...

Mos output is chiming in at -29 already..so another reason to think -30s are possible!

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=KMWN&sta=KHIE

But were still a week away, and a lot can change...

TrishandAlex
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
-13F in NYC would be amazing, not to mention a major disaster. I imagine the city would totally shutdown.

I'm curious as to why NYC would shut down -- I lived in Chicago for quite a while, and -13F degree days in the winter were not unheard of. I would assume if Chi-town can handle it, then so can the Big Apple. They're not used to that kind of cold there, no, but hopefully people would suck it up and wear tons of layers.

Shall be interesting to see what happens, indeed!

Brad
01-10-2009, 08:13 AM
When I checked the summit this morning it was at +1F and here at the house in Maine is was -11F. This is probably the coldest we have seen so far this winter. The dog said it was probably too cold for the walk this morning. He was 50% correct so I had to carry him back.

Bill O
01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm curious as to why NYC would shut down -- I lived in Chicago for quite a while, and -13F degree days in the winter were not unheard of. I would assume if Chi-town can handle it, then so can the Big Apple. They're not used to that kind of cold there, no, but hopefully people would suck it up and wear tons of layers.

Shall be interesting to see what happens, indeed!

NYC shuts down when it gets into the single digits. So I can extrapolate that temps below zero would be even worse. The city's infrastructure just isn't (and shouldn't be) built for 1 in 50 year events.

For starters, the commuter rails and elevated subways aren't built for those temps. They struggle with warmer temps. Many water mains would freeze. Again, it becomes a problem in NYC below +10F.

You're right, life would certainly go on, but business activity would be substantially slowed. That's what I mean by shutdown.

Also, just because one city can handle a specific weather event doesn't mean another can. Its an infrastructure issue. Taipei gets hit with several severe typhoons every year. They pick up the branches and go to work the next day. Similar storms like that in the United States destroy cities and take years to recover from. Another good example would be Chicago and heat. Several years ago a heat wave in Chicago killed hundreds of people while similar temps in Dallas are just a daily part of life.

krummholz
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
It's interesting to distinguish between what is the psychological part of the adaptation to weather conditions and what is the technological part. It still amazes me to consider that my father worked in an office building in Washington, DC, that had no air-conditioning until the early 1960s. He would wear his "summer suit" to the office--it was a light seersucker fabric--and just go in and do his day of work. Actually, our family home in Arlington, VA, never had air-conditioning either.

Obviously, when you look back anywhere in history beyond the past few decades, you can have the same sense of amazement. Or think about many places in the world in the year 2009 that lack modern conveniences.

KathyC
01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
I have to work next Saturday and half my day will be outside, not looking forward to that.:(

As for NYC, I can see the city from my town and I think they'll do just fine.

Bill O
01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
As for NYC, I can see the city from my town and I think they'll do just fine.

With a low of +17F forecast for next Saturday I think they'll do just fine as well.

treant985
01-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Some of the primary forecasts are starting to adjust. weather.com is showing a low of 6F, with accuweather showing a low of 7 and another of 6.

The NOAA map currently goes through next Thurs night, where they show a low of 11 for NYC. They show plenty of -20s and some -30s for NH and ME.

Brad
01-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes, some of it is us adapting. When I went to school in England I saw houses and the school with plumbing pipes going own the outside walls - outside. Normally that is not a problem. Well, we had a cold snap and pipes burst. They were not set up for freezing weather.

In the same way NYC buildings are not set up for this forecast level of cold.

mtruman
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks like the forecast for next weekend in RI is following the cold trend. Saturday currently shows a low of -12 and a high of +1. Can't wait :(

mainerjonn
01-11-2009, 08:11 AM
there is no reason why nyc can not handle below 0 temps.....it has many times and will again....i grew up there and the city does not have that many problems when it gets that cold......but here in maine we just like it more

Bill O
01-11-2009, 11:15 AM
there is no reason why nyc can not handle below 0 temps.....it has many times and will again....i grew up there and the city does not have that many problems when it gets that cold......but here in maine we just like it more

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/below0degdays.html

It's only been below zero 8 times in the last 50 years. When was the last time you lived in NYC and it was below zero?

Has anybody seen the Extreme Weather book by Burt? It has a great section about the cold outbreak in 1899 that was responsible for the still standing all-time record lows in many cities around the country. Many of them 5-10 degrees colder than the next coldest day.

Brad
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Jon,

Speaking of cold. I was out off your beach last night waiting for the moon to rise. It was cold out there! Turns out I was a bit early.

When I was all set up - I figured I needed to move more to the south. Off I went a little ways. waited. Then off to the south some more. Waited. Then I saw the moon starting to come up and I ran with my tripod and camera pack even more to the south to get the pictures I was trying for.

Yes, it was cold out there.

Brad
01-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Well the MWO web site says it is +2 F on the summit right now. Our local weather says it is -2 F here in town and at the house the outside temp is +0.6 F. The summit is warmer.

JimS
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
The coldwave is just starting to resolve in the short range models...and it looks COLD! The NAM model MOS is calling for as low as -33F right now. Cool things start to happen at those temps at the summit!

Interestingly...it looks like a huge cold bottleneck north of the mountains, whereas the southern part of NH should just get below zero through the cold wave... -20s to near -30F are in store for whitefield/berlin.

Brad
01-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I have seen a forecast now for Thursday night of -12F and another at -19F. Just 2 days ago the forecast was for around zero. When is it too cold to snow?

Bill O
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Saranac Lake is showing -30F Friday morning. I wonder what a temperature of -30 at SL translates to at the extreme points around the state. The isolated, high altitude sinks.

treant985
01-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Saranac Lake is showing -30F Friday morning. I wonder what a temperature of -30 at SL translates to at the extreme points around the state. The isolated, high altitude sinks.

Do you know of any particular spots that might be of interest? I looked up the coldest readings from NY to see if any spots showed up consistently. I'm not sure if they still make readings at some of these places, though:

-52: Stillwater Reservoir, 2/9/1934
-52: Old Forge, 2/18/1979
-48: Mckeever, 2/9/1934
-47: North Lake, 2/9/1934
-47: Stillwater Reservoir, 2/16/1943
-46: Stillwater reservoir, 12/29/1933
-46: Stillwater Reservoir, 12/20/1942
-46: Gabriels, 12/21/1942
-45: Franklinville, 2/9/1934
-45: Wanakena Ranger School, 2/9/1934
-45: Gouverneur, 1/4/1981
-45: Big Moose, 1/16/1994

I'm sure there are others, since it looks like not all data was in there. For instance, Saranac Lake is only shown for 1948-1966, over which time their minimum was -40F.

treant985
01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Looks like readings are still taken at Stillwater Reservoir and Old Forge but the Old Forge ones rarely get called into the NWS, so we may not know their readings til the send in their report and it gets posted online (which will be months from now).

mtruman
01-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks like the pattern must be shifting. Colder forecast than originally predicted up north but considerably warmer than the forecast from a few days ago for southern NE (or RI at least). The original forecast was for as low as -12 with highs in the single digits. Now the low is showing as +3 for Thursday night (coldest shown in the next few days) and nothing lower for a daily high than +15. Has the whole system just shifted further north?

Bill O
01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Looks like readings are still taken at Stillwater Reservoir and Old Forge but the Old Forge ones rarely get called into the NWS, so we may not know their readings til the send in their report and it gets posted online (which will be months from now).

What about comparing some of those other locations to SLK for a few cold days in the past. See what the differences were.

Bill O
01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks like the pattern must be shifting. Colder forecast than originally predicted up north but considerably warmer than the forecast from a few days ago for southern NE (or RI at least). The original forecast was for as low as -12 with highs in the single digits. Now the low is showing as +3 for Thursday night (coldest shown in the next few days) and nothing lower for a daily high than +15. Has the whole system just shifted further north?

I haven't seen a consistent forecast for the same location for more than six hours. It has certainly warmed in our area as well, but if the right microscale conditions develop all bets are off. If you get clear skies and the winds go calm all bets are off, temps could go much lower than forecast.

The same doesn't apply to the summit of MWN. It is going to be cold there regardless of winds and sky cover. Looks like a solid chance of going below -30F on the summit.

treant985
01-14-2009, 10:47 PM
If you get clear skies and the winds go calm all bets are off, temps could go much lower than forecast.

We've already seen this some in MN. The forecasts for even the coldest spots (Embarrass, Babbitt, Ely, International Falls) have been around -30F for the last two days. Granted, the point forecasts aren't that great for these extreme spots, but almost all of them hit -40F or colder. Embarrass was -47F this morning and still wasn't the coldest (Babbitt hit -48F).

It'll be really interesting to see what happens tonight and Thursday night. Maybe we'll see our first -50F in a few years.

Brad
01-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Web sites list us at -13 F right now. On my son's outside thermometer mounted near the house it is -8 F.

Bill O
01-15-2009, 07:22 AM
My weather station in VT just spiked down to -13. Sitting at the lows of the day.

mtruman
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
The current summit forecast for tomorrow shows "wind chills 80-90 below rising to 60-70 below by sunset". Yikes :eek::eek::eek:. At what level do these temps potentially affect operation of the OBS? Is it possible to still go outside to clear ice and do the other normal duties in these conditions?

Steve M
01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
The current summit forecast for tomorrow shows "wind chills 80-90 below rising to 60-70 below by sunset". Yikes :eek::eek::eek:. At what level do these temps potentially affect operation of the OBS? Is it possible to still go outside to clear ice and do the other normal duties in these conditions?

It would be cool if they had a retractable dome so they could close in the tower just long enough to deice the instruments.:)

hobbes
01-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Perhaps a sound wave generator could deice the tower from ground level?

Of course this would have to be done from upwind so the sound waves don't get blown away ;)

M_Six
01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
This is how cold it is here today. When this cold wave hits Mt. Washington, look out. :eek:

http://www.bimmermail.com/major-cold.JPG

Knapper
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM

There hasn't been a wind chill that has affected operations here. The thing to keep in mind is those are wind chill values not actual ambient air temperatures. Wind chill only affects exposed skin so the key is to make sure there is nothing exposed by either having another person inspect you or using a mirror to inspect ourselves as I do at night. The thing is, we are so bundled up so that after 0, it all feels the same. And since wind chills do not affect instruments operations, we still have to deice. Temperatures have never affected operations. Winds and thunderstorms on the other hand...

KD Talbot
01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Ryan or someone can help me out. I've been lookin' for that picture (pre- Ryan) of all the Obs crew outside in 100 below windchills, women in t-shirts and men bare-chested, (or was it the other way around?). :o

I bet they weren't out long, but they did it. Must have been on a dare. From say, a volunteer.

KDT

Steve M
01-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Ryan or someone can help me out. I've been lookin' for that picture (pre- Ryan) of all the Obs crew outside in 100 below windchills, women in t-shirts and men bare-chested, (or was it the other way around?). :o

I bet they weren't out long, but they did it. Must have been on a dare. From say, a volunteer.

KDT

Gee, I wonder who that volunteer could be?;)

MsCntry
01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Right now it is -11 here in Tamworth, NH and it is forecast to get to -16. Freakin BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:eek:

KD Talbot
01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Balmy 3 above here. It's a northern thing.

KDT

MsCntry
01-15-2009, 08:25 PM

KDT

Supposed to be a high of 5 above tomorrow. I have to drive to York, Me because the workman's comp people love me to drive close to 100 miles one way just to see their Dr. :rolleyes: Dumba$$es

JimS
01-15-2009, 08:33 PM

KDT

For sure...I'm what, 10 miles north of you...and below zero ;)

Bill O
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
MWN seems to be underperforming right now. KSLK is down to -22. Same as Mount Washington.

Bill O
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Island Pond, VT reported -32F this morning.

treant985
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Island Pond, VT reported -32F this morning.

First Connecticut Lake hit -31F. The coldest from the NE that I could find was -38 at Big Black River, ME, in Aroostook Co., although I don't think there's a population center nearby. Coldest from a populated place seems to be -33 at Allagash, ME.

Coldest overall was -47 at Garrison, ND.

MsCntry
01-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Well it was forecast to get to -19 tonight. As of 2:15am it is -27 in Tamworth, NH!!!:eek: http://bestsmileys.com/cold/11.gif

JimS
01-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Berlin and Whitefield are both sitting at -36. I bet a few colder valleys up near Pittsburg are below -40.

All this while the mountain sits at a balmy -26.

Concord broke it's daily record at -20...but it warms up quickly south of there...Manchester is -9

I am one of the warm spots in the state at -6!

Bill O
01-16-2009, 05:50 AM
We hit -22 in VT, but it has since warmed up. SLK only got to -26.

Steve M
01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Brad, what is the temp on the lake in Maine? I tried to view the dock cam but it seems to be off line.

MsCntry
01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
We woke up at 7:30am and our temp sensor read -32. I was supposed to leave for the Dr by 9am, and here it is 9:30 and neither vehicle will start. I think our temp sensor is reading the wind chill as well. Weather.com says it is -15 with a feel of -30.

Brad
01-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Our internet connection has been down for a while. It seems to be back running again. we hit -29 F here this morning.

Bill O
01-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I think our temp sensor is reading the wind chill as well. Weather.com says it is -15 with a feel of -30.

Thermometers do not read the windchill.

weather.com provides data from a nearby airport, which may or may not be nearby. 15 degree temperature differences are not uncommon during weather like this.

MsCntry
01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Thermometers do not read the windchill.

weather.com provides data from a nearby airport, which may or may not be nearby. 15 degree temperature differences are not uncommon during weather like this.

Well it isn't a thermometer though. It is actually an indoor weather station with an out door sensor that reads temp and humidity. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. The closest big airport is Manchester, and the smallest close one is probably Center Harbor 20 miles away.

treant985
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Well it isn't a thermometer though. It is actually an indoor weather station with an out door sensor that reads temp and humidity. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. The closest big airport is Manchester, and the smallest close one is probably Center Harbor 20 miles away.

To measure wind chill, it must be able to measure wind speed. If it doesn't measure wind speed with an anemometer, it can't do wind chill.

Here's a list of the coldest readings I've found from the NWS:

ME:
-50 Big Black River (a new all-time state record if confirmed)
-48 Ninemile Bridge
-47 Allagash
-45 Dickey
-45 Masardis
-44 Clayton Lake
-44 Comstock Township
-44 Grand Isle
-44 St. Aurelie

NH:
-39 Berlin
-38 Errol
-38 Whitefield

VT:
-42 Island Pond Airport
-38 Lancaster
-37 Sutton

Bill O
01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Oops, I thought you meant your car thermometer was displaying the windchill.

Bill O
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Here's a list of the coldest readings I've found from the NWS:

What about IL? I heard they were approaching the state all-time record low.

If the -50 doesn't verify the -48 ties the record.

treant985
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
What about IL? I heard they were approaching the state all-time record low.

If the -50 doesn't verify the -48 ties the record.

Lowest I can find for IL is still just short of their record. Maybe some more readings will come in:

-35.4F near Mt. Carroll
-35.0F at Mt. Carroll itself
-32F at Dixon

NWS has put out a statement about the reading at Big Black River:
AT 0730 AM EST THIS MORNING A USGS GAGE AT BIG BLACK RIVER RECORDED
A LOW TEMPERATURE OF -50F. THIS EXCEEDS THE CURRENT STATEWIDE
RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -48F SET ON JANUARY 19TH...1925 AT VAN
BUREN. THIS REPORT IS CONSIDERED UNOFFICIAL UNTIL A REVIEW OF THE
EQUIPMENT AND DATA BY THE STATE CLIMATE EXTEREMES COMMITTEE AS TO
THE VALIDITY OF THIS REPORT. IF THE COMMITTEE ASCERTAINS THAT THIS
IS INDEED A VALID REPORT...A SEPARATE PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
WILL BE ISSUED AT THAT TIME.

KD Talbot
01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
ripped off! It was only -12 here at 5am. :cool:

KDT

Bill O
01-16-2009, 05:17 PM
-14F on Long Island!

That proves what a difficult forecast these extreme events are. People in this area aren't buzzing around the weather though. We had some other excitement.

KD Talbot
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm not a big believer in "miracles", but I might agree that what happened on the Hudson could be considered one.

I was a crash rescue firefighter in the AF in another life and for everyone to survive an ordeal like that is very rare. There are almost always some fatalities. Although just as rare is everyone dying.

Yes, I'm drifting, but you started it! ;)
KDT

treant985
01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Forecasts are calling for some places in Maine to be just as cold on Saturday morning as they were on Friday. I wonder if we'll see another spot come close to -50F? It'd be amazing for the state record to stand for 84 years, then have it fall twice in two days.

The lowest from NY that I could find for Friday was -31 at Schroon Lake and Newcombe. National low at a populated area seems to be -47 at Allagash, ME, barely beating -46F at Babbitt, MN.

treant985
01-16-2009, 07:37 PM
...someone asked earlier about Pittsburg, NH. It came in at -35F.

Bill O
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
In this area things are falling in place for tonight to be colder than last night. Four degrees colder air temp and dewpoints are about 10-15 lower than last night at this time. Westhampton Airport on Long Island is already at -7F. The Pine Barrens of LI and NJ get an A+ at radiational cooling.

treant985
01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
In this area things are falling in place for tonight to be colder than last night. Four degrees colder air temp and dewpoints are about 10-15 lower than last night at this time. Westhampton Airport on Long Island is already at -7F. The Pine Barrens of LI and NJ get an A+ at radiational cooling.

It's fun to watch the readings from Westhampton. As soon as the winds increase, the temp shoots up. When it calms down, it drops suddenly. Textbook cold-air drainage/radiational cooling situation. In mountainous areas (like the Sinks in UT), I've seen temps increase by 30 degrees in 20 minutes when the wind picked up and displaced the cold air that had pooled.

Bill O
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
It's fun to watch the readings from Westhampton. As soon as the winds increase, the temp shoots up. When it calms down, it drops suddenly. Textbook cold-air drainage/radiational cooling situation. In mountainous areas (like the Sinks in UT), I've seen temps increase by 30 degrees in 20 minutes when the wind picked up and displaced the cold air that had pooled.

Is there real-time data from the sinks in UT? Those are some of the coldest places in the country.

h2oeco
01-16-2009, 10:37 PM
9 F here on the coast of NJ, which is cold for us since we're so close to the ocean... Colder tonight than last night...

Ed

treant985
01-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Is there real-time data from the sinks in UT? Those are some of the coldest places in the country.

Nope; I've been working with a meteorologist in the area to try to get one put in, but nothing yet. One was there for a few months as part of a study a few years back, but it was only there for a few months. Nonetheless, in that brief time, it still recorded a -50F temp and that's also when the temp increased by 32.6 degrees (from -33.5 to -0.9) in 20 min around midnight when the winds picked up.

It's tough to get into Peter Sinks (the coldest one) once snow starts falling, so most measurements are made by hand by my friend Tim (the meteorologist mentioned above) at Middle Sink, which is right beside Peter Sinks but runs 5 degrees warmer. He recorded -53F on 1/4/2009 when the next lowest temp in the lower 48 was -35F at Chinook and W Yellowstone, MT.

I have better pics but they're hard to read the index of the alcohol thermometer, so here's one from a bimetal thermometer:
...the alcohol thermometers' image is below as an attachment but it's hard to read at that size.

Bill O
01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
When I was living in SLC (98-2002) I know the middle sink was just a few degrees off the all-time lower 48 low. I think it was students from Utah State that did the readings and I could swear it was in 2001 or 2002. I kept kicking myself because I know the Peter Sink was colder that night and nobody was there to record it.

treant985
01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
When I was living in SLC (98-2002) I know the middle sink was just a few degrees off the all-time lower 48 low. I think it was students from Utah State that did the readings and I could swear it was in 2001 or 2002. I kept kicking myself because I know the Peter Sink was colder that night and nobody was there to record it.

Middle Sink hit -62F on 1/30/2002. Probably too dangerous to get into Peter Sinks, although it probably was still a few degrees short of -70F.

Brad
01-17-2009, 06:51 AM
It is -22 F here in Maine this morning.

Steve M
01-17-2009, 08:50 AM
18f here in Monticello, Florida this morning. Doesn't sound bad until you see how these Florida natives take it.

Rich
01-17-2009, 09:05 AM
At 7 it was -2.7 in southern CT.

treant985
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Looks like temps in the NE were warmer than Friday, but for places farther south, they were colder than Friday. Doubt we set any records like we did on Friday...

mtruman
01-17-2009, 10:05 AM
It was 0 here both yesterday morning and this morning. My wife misread the thermometer when she got up and thought it was 12 instead of 1.2 and almost changed her mind on going for our usual walk. Got her and the dog both to give and an join me and it was just beautiful out in the snowy/icy woods. Can't say that I'm not looking forward to it warming up a bit in the next few days though...

RI Swamp Yankee
01-17-2009, 10:55 AM
From Fryeburg, Eastern Slopes Regional Airport
(serves North Conway too)

1-17-09 06:54 am Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -22

1-16-09 06:54 am Calm 10.00 Fair CLR -31 (Friday morning)

TrishandAlex
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM
-22 in Campton at 6:30, when I headed off to Cannon for a hike.

Yes, I did manage to summit, only because I was completely sheltered the whole way.

God bless chemical hand and body warmers.

BBRRRRRRRRR!

Well, I had thought Alex and I were going to hike tomorrow....but it looks like we might hike down the road a few miles to a place for breakfast. That'll have to do, since there's no way I'm taking her up a mountain in temps that mimck today's.

Brad
01-17-2009, 03:25 PM
We did Kearsarge today and it was awesome. Very clear to the east and south - clouds and foggy to the west and north. Only saw one other person on the way up. 5 came into the fire tower as we were there and we saw more folks as we came down. It was a nice day to be outside.

KathyC
01-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I worked outside yesterday for about 5 hours. My body was covered and warm, but my face, hands and feet were exposed. I had gloves but kept needing to take them off to write (the ink kept freezing).

My hads are aching today and my face feel swollen, It's all puffy and red. I'm actually hurting all over from lifting stuff.

MelNino
01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, compared to all your tales, we are a "warm" 26 in CT....light snow....chance of snow through Tues (cue drivers forgetting how to drive)

Brad
01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
From the NWS

SXUS71 KGYX 190911
RERCON

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
411 AM EST MON JAN 19 2009

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT CONCORD YESTERDAY...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 10.3 INCHES WAS MEASURED AT CONCORD NH
YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 7.7 INCHES SET IN 1994.

$$

SXUS71 KGYX 190909
RERPWM

RECORD EVENT REPORT
409 AM EST MON JAN 19 2009

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT PORTLAND YESTERDAY...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 11.5 INCHES WAS MEASURED AT PORTLAND YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11.2 SET IN 1979.

$$

NOUS41 KGYX 190855
PNSGYX
MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-192040-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
355 AM EST MON JAN 19 2009

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 14 HOURS
FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED
TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS
AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR
HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/GRAY

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
(INCHES) MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY...
LISBON FALLS 15.0 723 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
DURHAM 14.3 656 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE AN06
AUBURN 11.0 710 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
LEWISTON 10.6 502 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
POLAND 9.0 1049 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE AN27
TURNER 8.0 702 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...
BRUNSWICK 18.0 856 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
GORHAM 16.3 714 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
PORTLAND-N DEERING 14.0 1015 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU26
YARMOUTH 13.5 534 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
CUMBERLAND CENTER 13.3 604 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU01
GRAY NWS OFFICE 12.9 707 PM 1/18 SPOTTER LIGHT SNOW/ 13 DEG
SCARBOROUGH 12.3 854 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
WESTBROOK 10.5 245 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU07
NORTH BALDWIN 10.0 333 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
NORTH SEBAGO 10.0 511 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
RAYMOND 10.0 719 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU02
SOUTH PORTLAND 10.0 430 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU132
BRIDGTON 9.4 552 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE CU05
FALMOUTH 9.0 527 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...
WILTON 12.5 640 PM 1/18 SPOTTER VERY LIGHT SNOW FALLING
NEW SHARON 8.0 917 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...KENNEBEC COUNTY...
GARDINER 10.5 918 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
AUGUSTA 10.0 620 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SOUTH CHINA 9.4 916 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...KNOX COUNTY...
HOPE 11.0 435 PM 1/18 SPOTTER MDT TO HVY SNOW 31 F

...LINCOLN COUNTY...
NOBLEBORO 8.0 332 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...OXFORD COUNTY...
HIRAM 11.5 450 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
OTISFIELD 8.0 513 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
BETHEL 7.0 527 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...SAGADAHOC COUNTY...
TOPSHAM 9.0 332 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
MADISON 10.0 722 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
JACKMAN 6.0 721 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...WALDO COUNTY...
BELMONT 12.0 918 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
MONROE 10.0 724 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
THORNDIKE 8.0 918 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...YORK COUNTY...
HOLLIS 13.4 511 PM 1/18 NWS EMPLOYEE YO01
PARSONSFIELD 13.0 721 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SANFORD 13.0 449 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SPRINGVALE 12.5 528 PM 1/18 SPOTTER YO125
ACTON 12.0 334 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
KENNEBUNK 12.0 441 PM 1/18 SPOTTER YO106
SACO 12.0 737 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SOUTH BERWICK 11.0 635 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
CORNISH 10.1 519 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
YORK 8.2 458 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
KITTERY POINT 6.0 349 PM 1/18 SPOTTER LT SN/ 19 DEG

NEW HAMPSHIRE

...BELKNAP COUNTY...
BLACK CAT ISLAND 11.2 1230 AM 1/19 SPOTTER
ALTON 10.5 353 PM 1/18 SPOTTER SNOW ENDED
LACONIA 9.7 557 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
GILFORD 9.5 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
TILTON 8.0 335 PM 1/18 SPOTTER 19 F

...CARROLL COUNTY...
SANDWICH 14.0 724 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
NORTH CONWAY 12.5 718 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
WOLFEBORO 10.5 432 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
CENTER CONWAY 10.0 359 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...COOS COUNTY...
GORHAM 12.5 400 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
PINKHAM NOTCH 11.5 1100 PM 1/18 GPSIII NH1PI
LOST RIVER 6.5 1100 PM 1/18 GPSIII NH1LO
TWIN MOUNTAIN 5.5 1100 PM 1/18 GPSIII NH1TW
WHITEFIELD 4.0 1115 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
COLEBROOK 2.5 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
LANCASTER 1.5 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...GRAFTON COUNTY...
FRANCONIA NOTCH 7.0 1100 PM 1/18 GPSIII NH1FR
BRISTOL 6.5 215 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
ENFIELD 5.0 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...MERRIMACK COUNTY...
CONCORD 10.3 100 AM 1/18 OBSERVER
HENNIKER 8.0 600 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
NORTHFIELD 7.0 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...ROCKINGHAM COUNTY...
GREENLAND 12.0 726 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
WEST HAMPSTEAD 10.8 702 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
HAMPSTEAD 10.2 340 PM 1/18 SPOTTER LGT SNOW 20 F
ATKINSON 9.6 340 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
DERRY 9.2 410 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
STRATHAM 8.5 601 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
LONDONDERRY 7.0 220 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SALEM 5.0 1100 PM 1/18 NHDOT

...STRAFFORD COUNTY...
STRAFFORD 12.0 448 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
SOMERSWORTH 11.5 507 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
DOVER 11.0 847 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
ROCHESTER 11.0 313 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
BARRINGTON 10.5 300 PM 1/18 SPOTTER
DURHAM 8.0 1100 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

...SULLIVAN COUNTY...
SUNAPEE 7.0 350 AM 1/19 SPOTTER 2 IN OVERNIGHT
WASHINGTON 6.3 314 PM 1/18 SPOTTER

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 190527
RERCAR

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU, ME
1227 AM EST MON JAN 19 2009

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT CARIBOU ME...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -30 DEGREES WAS SET AT CARIBOU ME YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -28 SET IN 1982.

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 182129
RERCAR

RECORD EVENT REPORT
428 PM EST SUN JAN 18 2009

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -30 DEGREES WAS SET AT CARIBOU ME TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -28 SET IN 1982.

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 181243
RERCAR

RECORD EVENT REPORT
700 AM EST SUN JAN 18 2009

AT 2:06 AM ON SUNDAY, JANUARY 18TH, THE TEMPERATURE AT THE CARIBOU
MUNICIPAL AIRPORT FELL TO A LOW OF -30 DEGREES, SETTING A NEW RECORD
LOW FOR THIS DATE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD, -28 DEGREES, WAS SET IN 1971
AND TIED IN 1982.

DAILY LOW TEMPERATURE RECORDS WERE ALSO SET ON JANUARY 17TH (-33
DEGREES) AND JANUARY 16 (-37 DEGREES).

THIS -37 DEGREE READING ON JANUARY 16 WAS A RECORD MONTHLY MINIMUM
AS WELL, ECLIPSING THE PREVIOUS ALL TIME JANUARY LOW OF -33 DEGREES
FROM 1995.

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 180526
RERCAR

RECORD EVENT REPORT
1226 AM EST SUN JAN 18 2009

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -33 DEGREES WAS SET AT CARIBOU ME YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -27 SET IN 1979.

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 171617
RERHUL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
1112 AM EST SAT JAN 17 2009

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT HOULTON ME...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -31 DEGREES WAS SET AT HOULTON ME TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -27 SET IN 1979 AND 1974.

$$
010-011-015>017-029>032-160051-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
0955 AM EST FRI JAN 16 2009

**********POTENTIAL STATEWIDE RECORD MINIMUM TEMPERATURE*************

AT 0730 AM EST THIS MORNING A USGS GAGE AT BIG BLACK RIVER RECORDED
A LOW TEMPERATURE OF -50F. THIS EXCEEDS THE CURRENT STATEWIDE
RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -48F SET ON JANUARY 19TH...1925 AT VAN
BUREN. THIS REPORT IS CONSIDERED UNOFFICIAL UNTIL A REVIEW OF THE
EQUIPMENT AND DATA BY THE STATE CLIMATE EXTREMES COMMITTEE AS TO
THE VALIDITY OF THIS REPORT. IF THE COMMITTEE ASCERTAINS THAT THIS
IS INDEED A VALID REPORT...A SEPARATE PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
WILL BE ISSUED AT THAT TIME.

$$

SXUS71 KCAR 162131
RERCAR

RECORD EVENT REPORT
0427 PM EST FRI JAN 16 2009

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT BANGOR ME...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -25 DEGREES WAS SET AT BANGOR ME TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -20 SET IN 1994.

Steve M
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow! That is the longest single post I have ever seen! Besides pics of course.:)

Brad
01-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow! That is the longest single post I have ever seen! Besides pics of course.:)
I had a dream - that you all needed the information - even though it is not right. We had 12 inches in the storm yesterday and then another 3 inches last night.