PDA

View Full Version : 1st snow shoe hike recommendations

CHRIS
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I am looking forward to my 1st snow shoe hike and I was wondering if anybody can recommend any good trails. I will probably be going solo (making my wife nervous:D) but I would like a decent hike with a little bit of milage and some views if possible but I have been looking over my maps and books and I can't decide. So I figured I would post and see what any veteran winter hikers can recomend.

JimS
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Hmmm....easy access, good views...I think Kearsarge North sounds like it's up your alley...

Bill O
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Are you looking to go in the White Mountains? In NH or maybe something closer?

billysinc
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
The Sugarloafs are another good option.

CHRIS
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I would prefer somewhere in the White Mountains.Thanks for the recomendations I will look at the maps tomorrow.

billysinc
01-11-2009, 09:33 PM
The Sugarloafs are in the Whites. They start off Zealand rd.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Doublehead off Dundee Road; you can take either the old trail or the ski trail to the top. Magnificent views from South Doublehead.

mtruman
01-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Cardigan is a good choice (and a bit shorter drive). Multiple trail choices and great views without huge effort. We sure enjoyed it last week.

mojonh
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for the same thing...preferably a 4k'er though. I'll probably be alone as well.

CHRIS
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I have been really thinking of doing the Crawford path up to Mount Pierce as Trish did last weekend with a few people it looks like a good hike on the map not to steep and sounds pretty good in the guide book. But I don't know if I will be able to do this weekend now :( if I stay home I have a chance to make about $1000.00 (more gear or camera stuff:D)so it will be worth staying. Next weekend is my daughters birthday party so now I am looking at the following Sat. arrugh!!!. But when ever I get up there I am sure it will be great.Or if I see there wll be a nice day I could become ill :D and not be able to go to work for a day.

FisherCat
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
There's always Mt Willard too.

Brad
01-14-2009, 05:57 AM
I like the old wooden snowshoes that are a bit wide up front, but not too wide. So, my recommendation is to start with the left foot.

mojonh
01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I managed to get Pierce in early in winter while you could still bareboot it. It's a nice hike and pretty easy for the Presidentials. You probably wouldn't even need snowshoes if there hasn't been a storm in a few days....Crawford Path gets packed down pretty quickly.

Say hi to the gray jays if you end up doing the hike....tell them they owe me a cliff bar :D

TrishandAlex
01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
I managed to get Pierce in early in winter while you could still bareboot it. It's a nice hike and pretty easy for the Presidentials. You probably wouldn't even need snowshoes if there hasn't been a storm in a few days....Crawford Path gets packed down pretty quickly.

Say hi to the gray jays if you end up doing the hike....tell them they owe me a cliff bar :D

Yes, we actually used microspikes on the way up Crawford path and then used snowshoes on the way down via Edmands -- HOWEVER, there were others using snowshoes....so while you may not actually need them for posthole-avoidance purposes, you can still use them to practice with. If you get up there and are too worn out and need a break, then you could take them off and carry them back (as long as the trail is packed enough).