View Full Version : view from Wildcat on a bluebird day

forestgnome
01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
January 10th around noon...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/050-copywmo.jpg

happy trails :)

KathyC
01-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow, what a perfectly clear day and a perfect photo as usual...:)

No Moose??:mad::(:p

Brad
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh what a photo. I want to do that.

KD Talbot
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
As always! Bet you saw some moose on the way there!

KDT

TrishandAlex
01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Lovely! Please never stop posting your photographs.

forestgnome
01-13-2009, 06:15 AM
As always! Bet you saw some moose on the way there!

KDT

Thanks, all , and what a day! I snowshoed the ski trails to the top and then followed the Thompson Brook drainage down, where there were some fresh moose tracks but I saw no moose. I planned to make it over to Little Wildcat Mtn. but I spent to much time on the summit enjoying the views. :D

mtruman
01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
What a beautiful image. Who says that you can't take an interesting picture on a day with clear blue skies!!!

Patrad Fischroy
01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
What a beautiful image. Who says that you can't take an interesting picture on a day with clear blue skies!!!

Some folks have been known to utter those words or something to that effect

http://www.mountwashington.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4211

Bill O
01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

A major difference is that your photo from January 10th is well exposed with a deep blue sky, bright white snow and an interesting foreground. The webcam photos as referenced are hazy with a milky white sky and have absolutely no character. Go figure! They were taken by a webcam. A third of one of the images is obscured by rime ice.

mtruman
01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

You're obviously watching me too closely - and I still have a positive view of images with blue skies like this one...

JimS
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Alright...so I'm curious of two things here...because this shot is just absolutely epic!

First off...how wide is this shot...it perfectly fills the frame.

Second...if you don't mind me asking, where exactly is this taken from...the platform at the very top, or a bit down the wildcat ridge trail (in which direction). I'm hoping to get a shot like this come february break, and some scouting advice would be much appreciated!

Wow is this amazing!!!

forestgnome
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
FWIW, regarding the clear blue sky in a composition, I tend to put my mountain tops slightly closer to the top of the image and include slightly less sky than the classical standard, especially with a clear sky without clouds. There's a general "rule of thirds" which holds that there should be 1/3 sky, 1/3background, and 1/3 foreground ( or something like that :rolleyes:)

This is just my own personal style and I'm saying that it is better. It just is what it is, but I think that when the sky is clear it is hard for it to be a subject but it makes a wonderful compliment to a subject, such as this beautiful mountain.

Just my $.02 :)

forestgnome
01-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Alright...so I'm curious of two things here...because this shot is just absolutely epic!

First off...how wide is this shot...it perfectly fills the frame.

Second...if you don't mind me asking, where exactly is this taken from...the platform at the very top, or a bit down the wildcat ridge trail (in which direction). I'm hoping to get a shot like this come february break, and some scouting advice would be much appreciated!

Wow is this amazing!!!

Thanks, Jim!

That was taken at 24mm, from the platform just up from where you unload from the lift. ( my first time up there ). I have cropped off just a tiny bit from the right side and bottom.

Keep in mind the shadow that enters the ravines from the left/south. In February, this happens later than now. The Obs folks can probably tell you exactly when the shadows cut across the ravines on a given date, so you can plan your composition. When I started my hike up the slopes around 9:00am, the shadows were already present. Later in the season there are no shadows once the suns rises enough, until sometime in the afternoon.

Let me know if I can offer any help.

JimS
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks.....great to know the summit platform offers that good of a view. And I can do 24mm...

If I shoot it, it'll be sunrise so I don't have to worry about those shadows! It's gonna take some planning and some effort though...so who knows what year it's going to happen in...

CHRIS
01-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Beautiful picture Patrick. Hopefully with more practice I will be as good as you and Jim. Keep them coming I love to see them.

Brad
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Keep in mind the shadow that enters the ravines from the left/south. In February, this happens later than now. The Obs folks can probably tell you exactly when the shadows cut across the ravines on a given date, so you can plan your composition. When I started my hike up the slopes around 9:00am, the shadows were already present. Later in the season there are no shadows once the suns rises enough, until sometime in the afternoon.

Let me know if I can offer any help.
I happen to like the shadow in Tuckermans ravine. It adds definition and depth.

Patrad Fischroy
01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
You're obviously watching me too closely - and I still have a positive view of images with blue skies like this one...

Nah, I am just a chronic reader that sometime remembers too much.

And I agree that the photo is an excellent one. The big thing is that while there are "rules" to photography, breaking them in a competent manner can oftentimes result in a stunning image. As Bill said the webcam had no intelligence behind it in composing and setting its exposure.

KathyC
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
The picture looks close to the Ravines Cam.

forestgnome
01-15-2009, 06:24 AM
FWIW, regarding the clear blue sky in a composition, I tend to put my mountain tops slightly closer to the top of the image and include slightly less sky than the classical standard, especially with a clear sky without clouds. There's a general "rule of thirds" which holds that there should be 1/3 sky, 1/3background, and 1/3 foreground ( or something like that :rolleyes:)

This is just my own personal style and I'm notsaying that it is better. It just is what it is, but I think that when the sky is clear it is hard for it to be a subject but it makes a wonderful compliment to a subject, such as this beautiful mountain.

Just my $.02 :)

forestgnome
01-15-2009, 06:28 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH:eek:

I made a mistake! I meant to say " I'm not saying it's better...
That sounds so upity...not what I meant, and there is no edit button :eek:

I guess the edit button disappers after some time?

forestgnome
01-15-2009, 06:33 AM
I happen to like the shadow in Tuckermans ravine. It adds definition and depth.

I agree 100%! I paid close attention to those shadows all season long last year. I was on the slopes every Sunday afternoon for the "Afternoon Cruise" (noon to close for $20.00...now $25.00).

I do like the shadow for depth, but just a bit of a shadow. The shadows also take a different shape/angle as the year progresses and the sun gets higher.

mtruman
01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHH:eek:

I made a mistake! I meant to say " I'm not saying it's better...
That sounds so upity...not what I meant, and there is no edit button :eek:

I guess the edit button disappers after some time?

Yes, the edit button is only there for a few minutes after the post. I know because I screw up in my post so often that I use it frequently :rolleyes:

I read the initial post a couple of time and realized what you meant to say. We all know that you're not the least bit upity..