PDA

View Full Version : another picture of the calf bull moose in the Swift River

forestgnome
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
This one is kinda cute. I used the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop Elements II for the first time, after Jim Salge provided this link to a tutorial.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/dodge-burn/

Thanks, Jim!

This is my first try at this technique. I have dodged the dark part of the image (calf/subject), but I have not burned the light part (snow).

before...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/139-copy1.jpg

after...

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l190/forestgnome/139DB1.jpg

happy trails :)

JimS
01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I commented over at VFTT, but I'll tell you here as well that the improvement is huge!

The contrasts on the from the camera shot are just too strong between the white snow, and the dark moose with no light on it. You exposed it perfectly for the highlights, and can resurect the shadows with a digital version of this classic technique. Great work.

Did you find the technique easy to work with?

Jim

mtruman
01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I got so caught up looking at the image details (which are excellent after the adjustments) that I almost lost sight of what a great picture this is. The look on his face is priceless!

Brad
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I got so caught up looking at the image details (which are excellent after the adjustments) that I almost lost sight of what a great picture this is. The look on his face is priceless!
Jim's expressions are the subject of countless stories.

mtruman
01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Jim's expressions are the subject of countless stories.

I thought Patrick was the only moose here...

Brad
01-14-2009, 01:18 PM
I thought Patrick was the only moose here...
One is never quite sure about Jim.

Can this technique be done in Adobe Elements? Or just in Photoshop?

JimS
01-14-2009, 03:34 PM
One is never quite sure about Jim.

Can this technique be done in Adobe Elements? Or just in Photoshop?

On my teacher's salary...I only have elements...
So yes, it can also be done in photoshop ;)

mtruman
01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
On my teacher's salary...I only have elements...
So yes, it can also be done in photoshop ;)

This tutorial looks really god and seeing Patrick's results (as well as all the examples from Jim in the past) I'm definitely going to give it a try. I've only got Elements as well since I never felt enough commitment to the complexity of full blown Photoshop. Nice to know that this sort of tuning is possible with the more basic tools.

KathyC
01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
More amazing moose shots. Where on the Swift River are these moose?

JimS
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
More amazing moose shots. Where on the Swift River are these moose?

In my experience...there aren't any moose in the Swift River ;)

forestgnome
01-15-2009, 06:21 AM
This calf and his mama crossed the river just about a mile upstream from Lower Falls. After he made it across the river he had to get up the bank, across the road, and then up the bank again to where mama was waiting. I went up the road to warn the occassional driver because he was hesitating to cross once he got up the bank. I warned a mini van with a big family and explained it was a baby trying to join mama. They were thrilled to see their first moose. Then the calf climbed the guardrail and stopped in the road so I went over and hearded him out of the road and up the bank. Everyone cheered and then went on their way. :D

Then I donned the snowshoes and climbed the bank and the tracks told the tale that they were indeed reunited and their racks led away into the forest.

happy trails :)

Brad
01-15-2009, 06:24 AM
We knew it. Patrick was out hiking with a mama moose and a calf. The three came to a road and Patrick stopped traffic while the moose crossed the road. Then the three headed up the trail together.

What a day and you certainly made the car people's day.

RI Swamp Yankee
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Was Patrick the one licking salt off the road? :rolleyes: