PDA

View Full Version : Cold Kitty

M_Six
01-14-2009, 05:52 PM
This guy lives in a makeshift shelter we built for him. You can see it behind him. We bought a nicer shelter (to the right), but he won't use it. He likes his Tupperware/blanket hovel. It has a heating pad inside specifically made for outdoor cats. When he's in his shelter, the pad heats up and keeps him toasty. He loves to sit and stare into our house to drive us nuts, though. We'd let him in, but we have three indoor cats and this guy is named Meanie for a reason.

http://bimmermail.com/meanie.JPG

KD Talbot
01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
He's even got an "M" for Meanie on his forehead! Looks like our "Ferris", gone, but not forgotten. He was mean, too.

KDT

Bill O
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Seems mean until you realize that every other animal lives outside in the winter. I bet he has gotten pretty good at controlling his temperature. What other little tricks has he learned to stay warm on the coldest nights?

Making a nest with a blanket and curling up into a small ball seems to be the most effective.

forestgnome
01-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Great pic, and that's very nice that you made the heated shelter for him. :D

Patrad Fischroy
01-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Seems mean until you realize that every other animal lives outside in the winter. I bet he has gotten pretty good at controlling his temperature. What other little tricks has he learned to stay warm on the coldest nights?

Making a nest with a blanket and curling up into a small ball seems to be the most effective.

Probably his best trick is to convince suckers like you and me to feed and provide what little shelter he needs to survive/thrive.

Not that I don't completely approve of your efforts.

krummholz
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
What amazes me is that felines are found everywhere from boreal regions (Canadian lynx) to the mangrove swamps of the Bay of Bengal (Sundarban tigers). I guess the tigers have fur that's a bit shorter, but enough to account for such a huge range of temperature? (Up to maybe 110 degrees for the tigers, down to maybe minus 50 for the lynx.)