PDA

View Full Version : Intro

luvtahike
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi there,

I am Luvtahike. I've been lurking for a while. Glad to be on board! Yippee!

I've been blessed with bad knees that got real bad in the fall. Not much hiking since October. Tomorrow I start physical therapy. The goal is to get back on the trail in March or so. My therapist was glad to know that I have a goal date to get back out there. We both think it will help inspire me more!

Your stories, pictures, etc. are awesome. I look forward to reading more over the winter.

Happy hiking!

Denise in S. NH

Charlie
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
welcome

set your goal for seek the peek 09 and you can hike with all of us with bad knees ;)

Brad
01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Denise,

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to your tales of many hikes to come. being in southern NH how did you do with the ice storm in December? Hope no real problems.

luvtahike
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Brad & Charlie,

thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh yeah, the ice storm. We won't forget that for a while. We went 7 days without power. Wasn't too bad the first day, then the temp dropped. Neighbors had a baby so they got a lot of turns with our generator. We finally had a rotating schedule as we had 4 houses sharing our generator. The good news was that by Monday (day 4), the neighbors had all borrowed generators. We had sole use of ours. Then Tuesday(day 5) the youngest started with a fever and vomiting. The rest of the week is a blur. Oh yeah, on Wednesday (day 6) I had to go 60 miles to the knee doctor in the wonderful snow storm. So I left the sick and healthy kids with my parents. Also left the laundry! Everything came back cleaner!

Power came back on Thursday (day 7). Called DH at work to tell him we would be glad when he got home. He told me I could handle swapping everything back over. So he said to turn off the generator. DS did that. Then I was standing at the fuse box with a screwdriver and a dead phone. DH's coworkers were in shock thinking I was going to totally screw this up. (they don't know me and I don't know them!) Called him back on the cell. Then I completed the necessary tasks. All went well! Amazing how quiet it was when all the generators were shut off!

All in all, I am really glad that we are campers. That made it much easier! The coleman stove worked really well and fit nicely on the counter. We got to know our neighbors much better now. That is a good thing! Glad it is over! Haven't eaten macaroni and cheese since then either. It was the easiest to make under the circumstances!

FisherCat
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Good luck to you and your recovery and therapy! Hope it enables you to realize your goals!

MelNino
01-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Ugh, *bad knee sympathies* Mine are pretty messed up as well

Here to healthy, healing knees to all!

Brad
01-15-2009, 06:21 AM
I used to have a bad knee. When i was doing a lot of traveling i would get in the hotel pools and just do light resistance work. No problems any more - with the knee.

CHRIS
01-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the forum. I feel your pain with bad knees.Going up is fine but coming down hurts like Hell!! But it won't stop me I love it to much. Good luck with your therapy and look forward to your trip reports and pictures once you are out there again.

ColdWeatherClimber
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Knee problems - DMSO...... available at feed stores. I had a problem once, applied this stuff to my knee a couple of times, and voila, all gone. Pain was gone too. DMSO is usually used on horses, and not supposed to be used on humans but it works.

mtruman
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Welcome Denise - good to have you join us. Hope you work through your knee problem. Seems many of us here have the same issues (which at least in my case seems to be the price of age coupled with a bit of abuse). The good thing for me has been that increased walking/hiking has actually improved them in the last couple of years. Can't beat that kind of therapy if it works. :)

TrishandAlex
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Denise!! Looking forward to your future trip reports and pictures! Welcome!! This is a cool forum!

Steve M
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Welcome to the forums from me too. My knees are fine but my neck and back goes out from time to time. It can be just as bad as the knees since every movement is painful. I would hate to have to hike off the mountain if my back went out. Anyway, glad to hear you weathered the ice storm well. Got any pics? Feel free to post them far us to enjoy.:)

KD Talbot
01-15-2009, 04:17 PM
from Kingston, NH. Power also out for 7 days. Camping is great, but not in your own livin' room. You got to have somewhere to go home to and be warm and have a hot shower.

I had a bad knee. Had surgery. Now I just use the other one. :)

KDT

luvtahike
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Knees should be better soon. I started PT today. She expects to have me back out on the trail in no time! We have tentatively planned an overnight for mid March or so. She was glad that I have a goal!

There was no injury just born with bad knees, plus put on a few pounds. My dad has a titanium knee and I don't want to end up like that. Thanks for all the sympathy!

KDT, I am in Hampton Falls. I can't believe how many trees are down in some places. We had no damage at our house which is great. I just went to your website. Your photography is awesome. We have paddled some parts of the Powow but not in Kingston. We did the section in Amesbury ending at the dam near downtown. Locally, I love the Squamscott in Exeter. It is fun to watch the turtles.

KD Talbot
01-15-2009, 08:01 PM
we paddle, too! Love them turtles. Caramel and pecan from Sanborn's!

KDT