PDA

View Full Version : Pemi Loop Jan 24

dangergirl
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi! We are doing the Pemi loop Jan 24 and are planning on finishing in 3 days but bringing food for 5 days. Any advice? We did a dry run in the summer and my only concern is the trail between garfield and lafayette. I am not sure if it will be difficult to find/follow. Also, any reccomended spots to camp? I am assuming there should be a 2 foot base of snow by now. I am really excited! Our plan is to start by doing it counter clockwise. :)

KD Talbot
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I wrote some stuff over on the Galehead thread for you, so check there, too.

There is supposed to be a good place to camp at 3300' on the way to Bondcliff, but you'll probably try for Guyot Shelter the 1st night, correct? Between Garfield and Lafayette would be your next bivy if all goes well.

I don't think there is quite 2 feet of snow. At least not around Galehead. This could and probably will change before the 24th.

Last year I was with a very experienced group on Garfield, (I felt like complete rookie!) They could not find the Garfield Ridge Trail to hike towards Galehead. There was about 8 feet of snow last year as opposed to much less this year, though.

Not much else I can give in the way of advice, you two seem much more experienced than I am at this sort of thing, though I might have more mountains under my belt! ;)

KDT

krummholz
01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Good luck on your adventure! I would definitely bring along the USGS quads. The South Twin and Franconia quads show that the trail west of Garfield stays on the ridgecrest almost the whole way to Lafayette. So if you notice a lot of ground higher than you, you probably need to climb up to the spine of the ridge. But before you get to Garfield it's a little more tricky. East of Garfield the trail is more devious, as it sidehills around the two knobs that NH 100 Highest people know about. Bring the maps, and keep them in a nice zip-lock bag so that they don't get wet.:)

dangergirl
01-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks! Keep the info coming! Does anyone have any info on current conditions up there?

KD Talbot
01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
but keep an eye on this:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I see on one of the threads a lot of people are bailing out of long hikes this weekend because of the extreme temps. Watch the weather close for nest weekend, should be better.

KDT

ColdWeatherClimber
01-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! You two have an excellent time and take lots of pictures :)

dangergirl
01-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Here is our plan.
Day one: make it to guyot camp area. set up camp and spend the night. If we are moving really quick then camp near galehead hut.
Day two: make it over Garfield and find camp as close to lafeyette as we can
Day three: Hike out or spend night at liberty springs camp area if we are too beat to keep going.
Day four: go to dinner and celebrate!!

My biggest concern is navigation and traveling from Garfield to Lafayette.

ColdWeatherClimber
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I was wondering if you did a pre-winter recon trip and took waypoints with your gps to use for a whiteout... If not, triangulating yourself with major landmarks will help if not whited out.

dangergirl
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
we did a practice run (clockwise) this summer and put a few key points into it. We will be putting in important trail intersections into the GPS manually before going out there. Because of how remote this will be we want to be as prepared as possible and figure out all escape routes just in case we need to bail. :)

dangergirl
01-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Well, I heard NH got a lot of snow. So, my question is: Does anyone know the conditions of anything in the Pemi loop? I am planning on a lot of trail breaking. Any updates throughout the week will be greatly appreciated.
Our new plan is to see how day 1 goes, set up camp, and make a decision. If we are unable to make it to the Guyot camp areas by the end of day one I think we will just do an out and back hike. I am thinking that the ridge between Garfield and Lafayette will be a trailbreaking nightmare. If we get to that point and it seems unbearable we will just have to bail. So, if anyone has any conditions to post please do!
Thanks! - K :)

KD Talbot
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
A large group of us are heading for the Twins next Saturday. I can guaranty that South Twin to the Gale River/Garfield Ridge junction will be packed out. This will be about 1/20th of your route. :D

KDT

dangergirl
01-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks! Any bit helps! :) Hopefully after this weekend the whole loop will be packed out! :)

TrishandAlex
01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Kristina, please give us a TR post when you get a chance -- hope you made it back safely. I know the weather wasn't ideal for your Pemi Loop, just hoping you're safe and warm right now.

dangergirl
01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi! It was the second coldest weekend we have camped in! We decided that we weren't in the mood for dealing with the wind and the very cold weather. We also ended up packing too much stuff and our packs were too heavy. We had a great time camping below bondcliff and had a blast hiking up to bondcliff the next day and being whipped around by the wind! It was soooo cold out and we just didn't feel like being on the ridgeline in those conditions.
We salvaged the weekend (and our egos) by having an incredibly fun hike up Chocura on Monday! What an awesome peak! We hiked it this summer via the Piper Trail. We did the Hammond trail this time and it was so much more scenic! I think Chocura is my favorite New England mountain so far. The views are spectacular and the summit is just really cool!
It was very cold on Chocura too. We didn't stay long on the summit but did get a bunch of cool photos! We will be returning this winter to try the pemi again. It usually takes us 2 attempts before we finish most of our trips! :) - K

dangergirl
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Here are the pics! http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfolcik/sets/72157613051879960/

CHRIS
01-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Great T/R and amazing pictures. Thank you so much for sharing. Looks like you guys had a great time and nice clear days even thou it was cold.

mtruman
01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
What a fantastic trip! Not finishing the Pemi this try sure shouldn't seem like a failure. Bondcliff has always been on the top of my list since the first time seeing the cover of the old WMG but that's nothing compared to what you guys had this weekend. Just spectacular! Chocoura looks like it was equally great. Thanks for sharing the experience. I really hope you get your second shot at the Pemi this winter. I'm sure next time will be even better...