PDA

View Full Version : FREEZING SPIT Experiment

btb31
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I see that the predicted low tonight is around -35 degrees. That's awfully close to what I believe is the magic temperature at which spit freezes before hitting the ground. I've done some research on this silly topic but it seems no one knows for sure at what temperature would spit hit the ground already frozen. I believe it was tried at the south pole and -50 seemed sufficient. But what I'm wondering is, is -35 cold enough? Maybe tonight is the opportunity to find out?

I would think the experiment is to stand upright and spit (allow some spit to drop out of your mouth) facing down. If it hits the ground and spreads out, it was not frozen prior to. If it hits like a cube, success!

mtruman
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
The problem is that there's a 35-60MPH wind forecast at the same time which presents a bit of a problem. Not to mention having to expose your face while spitting which would have pretty dire consequences in these conditions.

M_Six
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
The problem is that there's a 35-60MPH wind forecast at the same time which presents a bit of a problem. Not to mention having to expose your face while spitting which would have pretty dire consequences in these conditions.

Especially if it didn't clear your lips. ;):eek:

Steve M
01-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Were you able to pull off your experiment? If so, what were your results?:)

Knapper
01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
We did not get to the anticipated 35 below. Had we been in Errol, Berlin, Whitefield or anywhere north of the notches, 35 below would have been the norm. But we did get to 25 below, in the clear, under clear skies. I tried the "spit test" in a wind sheltered area and can confirm that at 25 below, the spit hit the ground still in a fluid like form and it took about 30 seconds or so to freeze solid. If we get lower this year, I will try to try again. Thats it for now though.

Brad
01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
What was the temp for the throw boiling hot water in the air experiment?

ColdWeatherClimber
01-16-2009, 02:39 PM
You could throw water in the air in Texas in august and it will boil..... One reason why I want to move back north.

Knapper
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
What was the temp for the throw boiling hot water in the air experiment?

Temperature, although key, is not the only factor to consider when doing boiling water to snow. We were doing it yesterday with only 18 below. The other things to consider are RH, particle size, water temperature, the purity of the fluid, and the type of fluid your using (coffee, water, gatorade, etc). Yesterday was dry allowing for warmer temperatures where as when we did it with the infrared camera, it was 37 below in the fog.

Steve M
01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
You could throw water in the air in Texas in august and it will boil..... One reason why I want to move back north.
Take it from a NE transplant...I feel for ya, man!:(