PDA

View Full Version : Century Club or 300 Club

mtruman
01-16-2009, 04:32 PM
In one of the articles in the new Windswept there is a description of the "300 Club" at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and a comparison to the Century Club on Mount Washington. As hard as the Century Club is to comprehend the 300 Club appears totally insane. Basically it involves going into a 200F sauna on a day that is -100F and then running around the pole (yes, the South Pole) wearing only boots. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Here's a couple of links:

http://theglobalguy.com/antarctica/the-300-club
http://members.tripod.com/~AntarcticNet/300club.html (http://members.tripod.com/%7EAntarcticNet/300club.html)

Any members of the Century Club here have any inclination to try this?

KD Talbot
01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Maybe some of those pansies would like to join me on my Nekkid W48 4K expeditions!

KDT

mtruman
01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe some of those pansies would like to join me on my Nekkid W48 4K expeditions!

KDT

Good point! Maybe not -100, but surely not a quick jaunt around the pole and back to the sauna.

Now according to the MWO FAQ membership in the Century Club in unofficial.

The 300 Club has an official patch (as does the regular 4K club)
http://www.theglobalguy.com/wp-photos/Ant04/300patch.jpg

Perhaps an official patch and membership certificate for the Nekkid W48 4K would help raise the level of participation :rolleyes:

KD Talbot
01-16-2009, 05:08 PM
there's no patch? Those bast_rds!

KDT

ColdWeatherClimber
01-16-2009, 05:44 PM
What is the Century Club?

Bill O
01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
What is the Century Club?

In regards to Mount Washington or college?

ColdWeatherClimber
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Century club on mt. washington. Runnin naked up top in -100 ?? :D

Steve M
01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Century club on mt. washington. Runnin naked up top in -100 ?? :D

you gotta make it all the way around the deck in 100+ MPH winds without gettin knocked on your a_s!:)

mtruman
01-17-2009, 08:01 AM
you gotta make it all the way around the deck in 100+ MPH winds without gettin knocked on your a_s!:)

Here's the text from the official FAQ (for the unofficial club :confused:):

31. What is the Century Club and how can I join?

To join the Century Club, one must brave winds averaging 100 miles per hour while taking a stroll around the rooftop viewing deck, without falling over or holding on to anything for support. On a calm day such a stroll takes merely a minute or two. In 100 mile per hour winds, the walk becomes a potentially dangerous adventure which can last up to 20 minutes before arriving back at the Observatory tower door. Add an icy deck into the equation, and completing this feat becomes quite an accomplishment. Membership in the Century Club is unofficial.

there's no patch? Those bast_rds!

Just doesn't seem right, I know. If you have a list (OK, I guess this isn't really a list) you've gotta have a patch, right? Of course if you had a patch for the NW48-4K where would you wear it?:rolleyes:

ColdWeatherClimber
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Naked? If it takes 20 minutes, that could freeze stuff .....

Patrad Fischroy
01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
A year or so ago, Jeff DeRosa (former observer here)wintered over at the pole. He had a blog then and mentioned this club, he even posted some pictures at the time. Unfortunately he took his blog down a while ago. But I hear he is doing some TV weather. That was reported elsewhere on this forum

KD Talbot
01-17-2009, 06:19 PM
"Naked? If it takes 20 minutes, that could freeze stuff ....."

The Century Club is fully clothed. Very unimaginative.

KDT

Steve M
01-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Naked? If it takes 20 minutes, that could freeze stuff .....

That would be a new thing...I guess you could try it but they will have to turn off the deck cam for that one.

KD Talbot
01-18-2009, 10:10 AM
the deck cam!!!??? Are you kidding me? This could generate more traffic then ever before!! This is brilliant!! The Nekkid Century Club!!

You call it exposing oneself. I call it expressing oneself.

KDT

mtruman
01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
the deck cam!!!??? Are you kidding me? This could generate more traffic then ever before!! This is brilliant!! The Nekkid Century Club!!

KDT

You would :D

Steve M
01-18-2009, 10:52 PM

KDT

Are you suggesting the MWSP should be declared a natralist park?:D

Are we way off topic here?