PDA

View Full Version : cold picture this morning

CHRIS
01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
I do not have any mountains around me so I have to shot what I can till I get North. I was driving by the beach today and seen the tug coming so I thought lets shoot it near the light house. I did a little adjusting and cropping. Any feed back would be great. Yes it was COLD.. I tried to get the sky a little bluer but I could not and I do not have a polorizing filter for this lens yet. I am going to get the Coking filters as soon as I get my 16-35 lens first.
I have a little more saving to do.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb96/CRIVERHD12/Boats%20and%20more/080308003.jpg

Be_Prepared
01-17-2009, 04:42 PM
That looks like Butler Flats, in New Bedford Harbor, right? Nice photo. Hard to believe that light has been there since 1898. The tug going by is a nice feature. Interesting note, one of the tugboats that helped with towing the plane down in NY on the Hudson is homeport in NB.

CHRIS
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes it is In New Bedford Harbor and I do believe it is Butlers flat. I never realized it has been there that long.There was a tug from New Bedford harbor at the Hudson plane crash it was Conrad Roy. I know who it is because I used to deliver welding supplies to him.Are you from the area?

Be_Prepared
01-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes it is In New Bedford Harbor and I do believe it is Butlers flat. I never realized it has been there that long.There was a tug from New Bedford harbor at the Hudson plane crash it was Conrad Roy. I know who it is because I used to deliver welding supplies to him.Are you from the area?

They had a celebration about 10 years ago for the 100th anniversary of that light. My wife grew up around there. We now live not far away in the same neighborhood as Conrad, (Jr & Sr) a couple harbors east of there. What a great area. Only problem is, it's too flat:-) But, that's what we have the White's for!

We have some family still living in the south end of New Bedford. A few years back, we had a little family sailing race with a rag tag collection of boats from a Capri, sunfish, laser, to me on a windsurfer. We were sailing from the east beach side of NB, to a friends place on Sconticut Neck in Fairhaven. Well, I was looking good on the windsurfer, although the laser was giving me a run for my money... until the wind shifted, then died... I was on a windsurfer in the shipping channel near Butler Flats Light, with no wind... My brother in law saw me out there floating "in harms way" and came over on his Whaler to pick me up, laughing at me the whole way:). Fun fun fun!

CHRIS
01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I have lived here my whole life and now I live in Dartmouth near Padnaram. I try to get up north as much as I can with the hopes to move there someday.(have to talk wife into it ;) ). I have friends and relatives that live on Sconticut Neck. My wife loves the ocean but how ever I love the mountains. She is winning right now.

Brad
01-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Chris,

But you are close to both right now. Just a bit further to go for you. I grew up in RI and later had customers in "Fall Rive" and New Bedford.

mtruman
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Chris,

But you are close to both right now. Just a bit further to go for you. I grew up in RI and later had customers in "Fall Rive" and New Bedford.

There's a lot to be said for living near both as Kirk reminded me last fall after I posted seaside pics while bemoaning not being in the mountains that weekend. RI and S.E. Mass are really pretty great spots to live and we have to be grateful to only be a few hours from the mountains. I realize that even more when I read many of the posts here from folks who are so much farther away. Makes me feel fortunate indeed.

CHRIS
01-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Yea you are both right. There are alot of places to go and do around here and I know I can pretty much be anywhere in the whites within a few hours but it would be so much better living there (to me anyways).

Brad
01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Yea you are both right. There are alot of places to go and do around here and I know I can pretty much be anywhere in the whites within a few hours but it would be so much better living there (to me anyways).
We vacationed in Maine for 21 years and loved every chance we had to get there. Then we bought a lot, designed our cabin and built. At the time I was working in NY and we commuted every weekend. Very quickly we shifted our focus from NY to Maine and sold the big house in NY. We have been registered Maine-iacs ever since. For the past 12 years my work has been NC based. So, my commute is just a little longer. Being in RI would be so wonderful to be closer to the mountains and lakes.

M_Six
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
We used to live in Bridgewater, MA. I grew up in Weymouth, MA. When I first went away during my military years, being away from the ocean was the hardest thing. Whenever I came home, I'd go straight down to the beach in Hull to just stand there and take it all in.

I miss North Conway as well. We spent most of the summers during my youth at Eastern Slopes campground or Jigger Johnson campground. I miss the Saco and Chocorua Lake and Sabbaday Falls and Glen Ellis Falls and the other places we swam as kids.

Now I live in an area so flat you can see the horizon for 360 degrees in some places. It's depressing sometimes. Glad I have you folks to keep me grounded. Keep the pics coming.

forestgnome
01-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Nice shot! Are those loons? I think are loons are drab in color at this time. My brother often sees them on the ocean in RI in winter.

BYW, the sun sets over the ocean from Point Judith , RI, around the winter solstice. For a couple weeks before and after Dec. 21st you can catch nice sunsets on the ocean.

Brad
01-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Those sure do look like loons. As they go down the coast for the winter then change colors and from what we have been told, they do not do the same calls as we hear on the lakes up north.

CHRIS
01-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I seen them in the picture after I put it on my laptop. When I have a chance I will try to get back down there and see if there are any there and get a picture or two. Probably won't be till Saturday thou.

mtruman
01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I got another reminder today why living close to the ocean is great - we got to go snowshoeing on the beach! I hadn't even considered the idea before but we decided to go to a nearby park that has trails through the woods and is on the bay for a nice winter hike. After a mile of beautiful trails through snow frosted trees we wound up on the beach. About 9 inches of new snow from yesterday with only 2 sets of cross country ski tracks through it (which had to be really cool too). The bay is mostly frozen over and the water was covering layers of broken green ice at the shore. Looked like a micro scene of something you'd see in shots of the Alaska coast (but a lot warmer). It was just amazing. Of course I was too dumb to bring the camera along. Not once today did I wish I was on a mountain instead of where I was. There are so many things to like about New England... :)

Brad
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I can remember one winter when I was a kid and that bay froze over solid. never happened again all the years I lived there.

forestgnome
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Mark, very nice! That sounds like a beautiful day on the beach. I always loved the beach off-season as much as summer.