PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article on MW

KD Talbot
01-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not tryin' to be derisive here, but I find this to be a far superior article about MW than the Nat Geo one. Those who know me here will understand why I feel that way.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/travel/escapes/16washington.html

The slideshow with narration is excellent!

KDT

Knapper
01-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I will agree with you there. Although neat to have a story about the mountain in NGM, the writing was on par with stuff we write for the Mountain Ear weekly.

h2oeco
01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
When I got home yesterday afternoon, I had emails from several friends and clients (who were also some of my STP contributors) who had seen the article in the NYT. Seems to have attracted a fair amount of attention. So far, no one has mentioned the NGM article to me...

Ed

KD Talbot
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Sorry if I sound like a detractor but, I was a little confused about the NG story. Was it about MW, or about the writer's relationship to his brother?

KDT

Rich
01-17-2009, 09:43 PM
That was a great, informative article in the times.

Steve M
01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Actually, I was expecting the NG article to be more about the Obs., or at least have the Obs more inclusive with respect to the mountain. I did think it was well written yet not what I was expecting. It also highlighted the dangers of the mountain where the NYT article was more of a good explanation of what to expect if you wanted to hike in winter, as a beginner with a guide.

mtruman
01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
I have to say that I really liked both articles (NG and NYT) although they were quite different in approach. The NG article was certainly a bit more focused on the "sensational" aspects of the dangers of winter on MW and the tragedies of the past. I had also expected more in the NG article on the OBS since it was so prominently featured in the photos. Kind of a surprise.