PDA

View Full Version : STP/New Media Teleconference

fifteendays
01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi folks,

We need some technology help!

MWO Marketing Coordinator Cara Rudio and I would like to invite those of you who work (or play) in the I.T. world to join us on a conference call to talk about ways to utilize new media in our fundraising efforts. Specifically, we want to talk about Seek the Peak 2009.

Last year, there were STP widgets, there was some talk of developing an iPhone app for STP, there were photos shared... and I'm sure that's just the beginning. We also want to talk about how to utilize Facebook, MySpace, Linked In, etc. for STP. We want to try and harness the enthusiasm and the collective expertise in these forums to help us continue growing the event and the fundraising impact it has on the Obs. In this economy, STP is more important than ever.

Got some knowledge to share?
Care to lend us your expertise?
Join us on our STP New Media Teleconference!

Thursday, February 3
3:00 PM (ET)

If you are interested, please send me a Private Message in the forums or email me at shenley -at- mountwashington.org and I will get back to you with the teleconference phone number and passcode.

By the way, we're almost there with the STP website and should be ready to go very soon, possibly as soon as next week. Thanks for your patience.

All the best,
Scot Henley
MWO Executive Director

Charlie
01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Brad where are you they need your help :)

BlueDog
01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me! PM sent.

Brad
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
PM is sent for me. I will see if Corey McEntyre and my son can join. They each bring different perspectives. If I had known a bit earlier we could have had Corey sitting in Gray Knob hut thinking about this - he is in the hut tonight.

mtruman
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
PM sent. Count me in.

Brad - does Gray Knob have very sophisticated new media support? On a lighter note, hope Corey doesn't freeze up there. Shouldn't you be with him?

Brad
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I am not sure how Corey can handle this without me. We will hear the tales afterwards - his version and mine. There is very little media support at Gray Knob. It looked like the summit of MW was a lot warmer this morning than here at the cabin and the North camera view is awesome.

Brad
01-21-2009, 11:26 AM
It would be really cool if all the STP hikers had a SPOT unit - all showing locations on one Google map of the Presidentials. The map should have 2 versions - where everyone is right now - and another to trace all the routes to where they are now.

SPOT, are you listening? This would be a great marketing sponsorship opportunity for you.

BlueDog
01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I am >this< close to buying one of those things! But I agree.. good opportunity for sponsorship... however, they should just get forum members to carry them. ;)

KD Talbot
01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
SPOT is spotty in the Whites at best. Most I have heard of who have tried to use them in the Whites have given up and closed their accounts.

They do seem to work well on water, but are not engineered to work in mountainous terrain. Advances in the technology may change this, but for now I don't believe they will work the way you would hope them to.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26710

KDT

Brad
01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Maybe this opportunity would give them incentive to improve the product.

mtruman
01-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I remember when we were following Karl on his AT trek last year that there were a lot of missing sections while he was in the Whites. Was never sure if it was the coverage or that the unit wasn't on (which was reportedly the issue in some other sections. Perhaps now we know. Too bad - I think that this would be really cool for STP as well.

fifteendays
01-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks to those who have replied to our new media conference call invitation-- information on the teleconference will be sent out shortly. So far, we have 6 people, so it's a solid group already.

If you have IT expertise, especially in the social networking world, please join us. We want to take Seek the Peak to yet another level, and we're looking for some technological ideas/advice/insight on how we can utilize technology to get the word out. See the first post in this thread for details.

A little sneak preview on STP-- hikers will be able to upload photos and videos to their STP hiker pages! (I may need to edit that statement... it may just be A photo and A video, singular... but we're working on it!)

We're looking forward to the call!

Scot
MWO Exec. Director

BlueDog
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
SPOT is spotty in the Whites at best. Most I have heard of who have tried to use them in the Whites have given up and closed their accounts.

They do seem to work well on water, but are not engineered to work in mountainous terrain. Advances in the technology may change this, but for now I don't believe they will work the way you would hope them to.

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26710

KDT

Interesting, since it works on satellite signal. Wonder if they are using an older GPS chipset. My GPS works great up there, but with most GPS, you do need to tell it what region of the country you are in in order for it to lock in to the closest satellites. If I don't do that after having used it down here in VA, it takes forever to lock in.

Older chipsets also had trouble with ground cover and such. My Garmin Colorado has been able to get a full solid signal in stormy weather, full summer foliage in the woods, etc.

mtruman
01-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting, since it works on satellite signal. Wonder if they are using an older GPS chipset. My GPS works great up there, but with most GPS, you do need to tell it what region of the country you are in in order for it to lock in to the closest satellites. If I don't do that after having used it down here in VA, it takes forever to lock in.

Older chipsets also had trouble with ground cover and such. My Garmin Colorado has been able to get a full solid signal in stormy weather, full summer foliage in the woods, etc.

The thing with SPOT is that it has to send as well as receive. I wouldn't have thought that this would be an issue either. Pretty scary though if a PLB type device doesn't work well in the mountains. If it's bad in the Whites what is it like in other more remote locations? Not much of a safety net...

h2oeco
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
From what I've read, SPOT is not a "real" PLB. I spend a lot of time out on the water, and a fair amount of time offshore. On many boats there is an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon), the modern ones contain a GPS, transmit location info, and a personally identifiable signal, all via satellite, plus a local homing signal on 121.5Mhz. They do all of this in about three minutes or less, and they work worldwide. The terrestrial equivalent is a PLB from ACR or the like. These have all the same functions, but are relatively small and light. The disadvantage is that they are only for use in a real emergency, and only call SAR resources (no "phoning home"), also, they are quite a bit more expensive than SPOT (but no monthly or yearly fee). I suspect, but don't know, that these would work just fine in the mountains.

Ed

Steve M
01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I hope you all have a great teleconference and a lot is accomplished. Y'all are way over my head when it comes to the latest technology, but if it benefits STP, then I can't wait to see the results!

Charlie
01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I hope you all have a great teleconference and a lot is accomplished. Y'all are way over my head when it comes to the latest technology, but if it benefits STP, then I can't wait to see the results!

im with you on this one steve
all i can do is try to get a lot of money for STP

CHRIS
01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Same here sometimes I have to ask my kids what to do. Dah feeling stupid. I also hope this helps get the STP web sit up soon to start raising money.

mtruman
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
im with you on this one steve
all i can do is try to get a lot of money for STP

And hopefully if we can figure out the right approaches we'll help you to raise even more. This is exciting stuff!

Great Guinness Ghost
01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I fear, that time is being lost for fund raising on all this "new technlogy" that a lot of my donors won't care about. In this down economy, and with the holidays passed, we should be up and running even if it's with last years' setup. It seemed to work well. Yes, I can still collect monies, however, those who wish to use their credit cards (most), I have to say" I'll get back to you."
I wish you luck but let's get this thing fired off!

Patrad Fischroy
02-03-2009, 02:53 PM
The thing with SPOT is that it has to send as well as receive. I wouldn't have thought that this would be an issue either. Pretty scary though if a PLB type device doesn't work well in the mountains. If it's bad in the Whites what is it like in other more remote locations? Not much of a safety net...

Came across an interesting device today
http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/dailynews/2009/feb/03/news2.html

Similar to spot, same limitations as it uses what appears to be a cell phone signal to transmit out. So it would be of limited use in the Whites or other back country locations. But so "Dick Tracy"

mtruman
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
The conference call was great today. Lot's of good ideas and discussion. Really looking forward to seeing the new site soon and working through some of the other ideas.

I threw together a document with a bunch of thoughts on ways to improve the fundraising aspects of STP both related to new media and in general which I sent to Scot prior to today's call. I added a few new items at the bottom since I sent it as well. The doc is viewable in Google Docs here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd88tnfb_15hcpmvhct. All comments and input welcome.

BlueDog
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
The conference call was great today. Lot's of good ideas and discussion. Really looking forward to seeing the new site soon and working through some of the other ideas.

2nd that! It sounds like the new STP site will be worth the wait, an lots of good ideas came out of the call!

CHRIS
02-04-2009, 07:11 AM
That was alot of great ideas Mark. Hopefully some of them will be available as soon as the site opens up. I know for one I had a hard time trying to figure out how and where to try to get donations so anything that can help would be great. Keep up the good work everybody and hopefully we will be seeing it soon.

hobbes
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Following up on the call yesterday, there was a request to access one's pledge via an RSS feed. Will the format below work for those interested in this? And should the number of pledges be limited to the last ten, or would you prefer that all be included? The <item>s will be displayed in reverse chronological order.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
<title>Seek the Peak Hiker Pledges</title>
<link>http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=PageName</link>
<description></description>
<language>en-us</language>
<ttl>60</ttl>

<item>
<title>Tue, 3 Feb - Sponsor Display Name</title>
<description>Sponsor Comments go here</description>
<pubDate>Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:23:00 EST</pubDate>
<guid>http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=PageName</guid>
</item>

<item>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

BlueDog
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't think you need the date in the <title> field since the PubDate should show up.

I don't see the donation amount. I'd like:

<Sponsor Name> - <Amount>
<Message>
<Date>

hobbes
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I thought there was something missing;) Below is the revised version.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
<title>Seek the Peak Hiker Pledges</title>
<description></description>
<language>en-us</language>
<ttl>60</ttl>

<item>
<title>Sponsor Display Name - $10</title>
<description>Sponsor Comments go here</description>
<pubDate>Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:23:00 EST</pubDate>
<guid>http://www.seekthepeak.org/view.php?p=PageName</guid>
</item>

<item>
</item>
</channel>
</rss>

BlueDog
02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
looks good to me!

mtruman
02-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Following up on the call yesterday, there was a request to access one's pledge via an RSS feed. Will the format below work for those interested in this? And should the number of pledges be limited to the last ten, or would you prefer that all be included? The <item>s will be displayed in reverse chronological order.

Thanks for getting right on this! Looks good to me too with the last updates. I'd like to have the entire list of pledges (or you could make that optional through a parameter).

hobbes
02-05-2009, 10:11 AM
RSS feed is now live. Look for the feed icon next to "My Sponsors" on your hiker page.

The last 10 pledges will be displayed. To get the full list add "&n=0" (without quotes) to the end of the feed URL. For example:
http://www.seekthepeak.org/rss.xml?p=ecomalley&n=0

Enjoy!

mtruman
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
RSS feed is now live. Look for the feed icon next to "My Sponsors" on your hiker page.

The last 10 pledges will be displayed. To get the full list add "&n=0" (without quotes) to the end of the feed URL. For example:

Enjoy!

Awesome - this is perfect! Also an opportunity to point out the Ed is already in the fund raising lead on day one :). Here we go playing catch up again...

BlueDog
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Enjoy!

Oooo... what about pulling in the current total with each new sponsor? :)

So then you have a feed that comes in:

Joey Bagodonuts - $10
"good luck paulie!"
Feb 5, 2009
Current total is - $20

Either way, thanks for the work hobbes! I've already added it to my start-up page.

hobbes
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Oooo... what about pulling in the current total with each new sponsor? :)
The online pledge total is actually included as an easter egg;)

CHRIS
02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I need to know if I am doing something wrong with the rss feed. The only that shows is the first person that donated. I set it up to check every hour but the only way I can see everything is when I click on the arrow next to the date and time of my first. Is this the way it should be? I am not that great with computors so please bear with me.

BlueDog
02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Title needs to be updated on the hiker.php page:
<title>Support a STP7 Hiker!

mtruman
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I need to know if I am doing something wrong with the rss feed. The only that shows is the first person that donated. I set it up to check every hour but the only way I can see everything is when I click on the arrow next to the date and time of my first. Is this the way it should be? I am not that great with computors so please bear with me.

I've been accessing the feed in multiple RSS readers and am working on a desktop widget that will display the feed along with countdown timer and other goodies. Haven't had any problem with it in any of the access methods I've used so far. What feed reader are you using?

hobbes
02-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks BlueDog; fixed.

JimS
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
The online pledge total is actually included as an easter egg;)

I have never been good at finding such eggs...any hints?

hobbes
02-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I have never been good at finding such eggs...any hints?It's targeted at those processing the RSS feed for use in widgets/apps/etc. You would have to look at the RSS feed source to see the online pledge total.

Brad
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
My son and I have been using Google Latitudes are a bit. It runs on our cell phones as an expanded version of Google maps. People we define as friends can see on their phone or on a computer where we are. (My son just headed into the Akron-Canton airport)

So, the question is - how can we leverage this technology for STP? My friends will be able to see where I am on the mountain - if I have a cell signal. Could MWO set up an e-mail address to be added to my friends list on Latitude? Could the STP web page be able to show where the hikers are?

Anyone looked at this from a technical standpoint?

hobbes
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
There is no API as of yet for Google Latitude that I know of. Until one is released, you'll mostly be limited to using what they offer (i.e., phone app and iGoogle).

If someone wants to develop phone apps for submitting coordinates to an Obs' web service, it may be possible to display hikers locations on a common map for STP (i.e., a hiker swarm map).

Brad
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Maybe we can not get something going by STP09. But, if we could get a technical contact at Google, it would be interesting to see if we could produce a "hiker swam map".

I have 5 friends on my Latitude list. Today you have to scroll through the individuals to see where each one is. The idea of one map with all of them on it would be really nice. Google should be able to add a feature to "show all friends on one map".

hobbes
02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Brad - you may want to look into GeoTwitter ...

h2oeco
02-19-2009, 10:13 AM
It would nice if offline donations could be recorded in more detail online - i.e. - one could enter the name/nickname and amount of each offline donation, and have it show in the list of donors. This could be a simple one page form, with a name/nick name column, and an amount column, with multiple entries possible via one submission. To me, this would be an improvement for a couple of reasons - 1) donors get recognition, 2) Might encourage other donors - "peer pressure" - i.e. Bob sees that Sue gave, and then feels obliged to donate as well, 3) more feed updates - just a blog, more updates are better than fewer updates.

Ed

Brad
02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
My daughter happens to be close by me in NC right now and I see that we are both showing up on my Latitude map. So, if multiple people all add an e-mail address at MWO and we are all hiking MW those who have a data signal will have their locations updated on the one map. Cool.

So, displaying that single map of the Presidentials would show us all. Periodically update the Google map and then have it displayed on the MWO or STP site.

When you toggle through your friends list the name of the location icon shows up. This has promise.

hobbes
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Ed - You could add the name of individuals making offline donations to your page's text write up.

CHRIS
02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
WOW Ed is wooping everybody :eek: I need to learn his trick. (hint hint)

h2oeco
02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Sorry - no tricks really - just talk to a lot of people, via phone, email, or in person. Don't be afraid to ask - if you don't ask, you won't get.

Ed

Steve M
02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Sorry - no tricks really - just talk to a lot of people, via phone, email, or in person. Don't be afraid to ask - if you don't ask, you won't get.

Ed

So true, thanks for the encouragement. Last year I sent out a mass email to everyone on my list and did far better than the year before. I'm going to be asking my customers as well this year.;)

Brad
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I used the News Release provided off the STP site - made a few changes - and sent it in to our local weekly newspaper, The Bridgton News. They asked for a photo - which I provided. It was printed in today's paper - almost 1/3 page spread.

It was too large to fit on my flat bed scanner, so I cropped a lot of the picture off to show what they printed.

http://images44.fotki.com/v1488/photos/8/8235/2995949/TBNews20090507086-vi.jpg

Charlie
05-10-2009, 09:43 PM
nice good job