PDA

View Full Version : New webcams and videos

Mike D
12-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Folks, in the coming weeks we will be introducing new content to our website. This will include a new webcam and some extra views and timelapse movies from our existing cams.

We are starting a membership drive for the premier of the "Presidentials" cam. For more info, see http://www.mountwashington.org/news/release.php?id=10

Also, our members will soon be entitled to weekly vidcasts from the summit, closeup images of the ravines, and the aforementioned timelapse movies.

http://www.mountwashington.org/news/release.php?id=10

Bill O
12-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mike, that sounds like great news. Should be very exciting.

AlpineHikerFan71
12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Good Evening Mike,
Happy New Year almost to be. Thanks for the great news. This is going to be extremely interesting and look forward to the differ views, the different vid cams should be most awesome. I am now a proud member as this was one of my Christmas gifts. Thanks for the great news and job well done by all of you.

bruno
12-29-2006, 08:45 AM
dis great webpage jus' got BETTER!!!! i heart webcams!! first thing i look at every mornin'!!!!! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! thanks dudes!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Brad
12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
This is very good news. I look forward to having more cameras and images!

post'r boy
12-29-2006, 05:55 PM
i agree wif bruno!!!!:D ;)

fifteendays
01-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Following up on Mike D's preview, here are some specifics on the new web content...

For the general public, a new webcam on Bretton Woods will offer an amazing view of the western slope of the Presidentials at the conclusion of an online membership drive. The "Bretton Woods Challenge" kicks off in the coming days, and after 250 new members, we'll "flip the switch" and make it live. We estimate that it will take 4-6 weeks, based on similar drives we have done over the last few years. This brings our Webcam Network to five cams, with more to come in the future.

For MWO members (this is the cool part), we'll be launching new "Premium Content" in mid-January. For the Ravines webcam, the North View webcam and the new Presidentials webcam on Bretton Woods, MWO members will have access to four new images from each cam. These cams are pan-tilt-zoom webcams, and can be pre-programmed to capture a number of images. All of these new images will update like the existing webcam images presently do.

We'll also be serving up some beautiful time-lapse videos from those same three cams. We'll be offering a sunrise video from the Ravines cam, a sunset video from the Presidentials cam and (I believe) another video from the North View. We may also offer a panoramic shot from the Presidentials cam as well.

MWO members will also have access to a weekly vidcast from the summit staff-- recorded, edited and developed by the summit crew.

We certainly will continue adding content to MountWashington.org for the general website-browsing public. However, as a reward for supporting this great institution, we hope to offer MWO members just a little bit more. We feel that our members, those who have chosen to contribute financially to the mission of the Observatory, deserve a deeper, richer experience on our website. If you're a member, thanks. If not, I can't think of a better time to join!

Once the new Premium Content launches, MWO members will need to sign up for a MWO Web Account and then link it to their membership. In this new set-up, members will now have access to their membership records and will be able to update mailing addresses, change phone numbers, view expiration dates, etc.

I am personally excited about this-- it's been a long time in the making. I hope you are as well. Even though I work here, I'll definitely be checking out that alpenglow in the daily sunset vid from Bretton Woods!

All the best in 2007,
Scot
MWO Staff

tkahike
01-01-2007, 05:10 AM
Sounds good.

Brad
01-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree this is worth waiting a few days for. As a member i am all set. If you are not a member yet, sign up.

Charlie
01-01-2007, 03:26 PM
i got my membership as a Christmas gift and cant wait for the new views :D :D

Bill O
01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
That new cam looks awesome. It should open a whole new window to observing the weather on the summit. Clear on one side of the mountain and cloudy on the other. I know the observers will find this very useful since they will be able to see if a clearing is imminent.

Now all we need is 250 new members to get the ball rolling. I wonder if my dog wants a membership...

We could really use some more shameless pumping in the observer comments.

Brad
01-04-2007, 06:11 AM
For those who have not seen the sample image - here it is

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/presidentials/presidentials-challenge-med.jpg

They have a old Ravines image (from Dec 11th) saved where the real camera image will end up being. I want to see the real image get started. If you are not a member, go to the web site and do sign up - now! Maybe I should sign up my cat as a member to help ...

Can you image this image next fall when the leaves on the trees are turning?

Brad
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
We are up to 28 new members for the challenge. 11% of our goal. Tell your friends - sign them up!

I posted links and information on some very active forums frequented by folks all over the country. What can you do to spread the word?

Brad
01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
We are 1/4 of the way there. We have 61 new members signed up. Lets get rolling and ask friends why they have not signed up.

Bill O
01-15-2007, 12:15 PM
When the members-only/premium webcam views go live we should make huge advances. When non-members go the site and realize they can get more webcam views by joining they will be more likely to become members.

Oh, not to mention all the time-lapse videos that are going to become available too.

Brad
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
When you look at the new image, what is that clearing (in the snow) down to the left?

Where is the camera mounted? I really like this perspective and can't wait for the images to get turned on!

Patrad Fischroy
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Not entirely sure, but from playing around with google earth I think it is the Cog Railway base. The attached image is a view from it. I was looking at a point about 44deg 15 min N, 71 deg 28 min W and looking almost due East. The view from that is pretty similar.

Brad
01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I went to www.brettonwoods.com and captured an image off the site. It looks like the camera is up on the slopes looking across the valley. What a sight!

http://images19.fotki.com/v365/photos/1/1002902/4071997/BrettonWoodscam-vi.png

And the description on the MWO site now says

"From the Top o'Quad Restaurant at Bretton Woods Mountain Resort, this webcam offers one of the most photographed views of the Presidential Range."

Mike D
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
The snowy clearing in the foreground is part of the MW Hotel's property, perhaps the golf course, but I wouldn't know about such things. The Cog Base is the smaller clearing above the 'l' in "Sample". You can see the first section of tracks departing vertically from it.

Torden
01-18-2007, 11:59 PM
That is the golf course. The MW Hotel is just a smidge off to the left of the picture.

Brad
01-19-2007, 05:53 AM
That is the golf course. The MW Hotel is just a smidge off to the left of the picture.
In the sample cam image there are 3 trees in the large snow clearing heading towards 1 o'clock in the image. If you look at the Bretton Woods Resort image with the 2 skiers those 3 trees are to the right of the man. The Mt Washington Hotel can be seen in between the two people.

I think this places the view pretty well.

fifteendays
01-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm happy to announce that we're just about ready to roll out the new "Premium Content"... look for it mid-morning on Monday!

Here's what you'll find...

On the Ravines Cam, MWO members will get FOUR new images (updated every 15 minutes) including zoomed-in views of Tuckerman Ravine, Huntington Ravine, Gulf of Slides and the Northern Presidentials. Also, you'll find an amazing daily time-lapse sunrise video of Mount Washington as the sky brightens, the clouds whip over the Rockpile and the early-morning colors shine on the mountain. Most days, the clouds come right over the summit, right over Wildcat. It is such a stunning vantage point.

On the North View Cam, members will get FOUR new images, including zoomed-in views of Mount Adams, Mount Madison, Mount Jefferson and a shot of "Home Stretch" on the Auto Road and the upper portion of the Cog Railway. Members will also enjoy TWO daily time-lapse videos, including a sunrise vid and sunset vid.

On the Observation Deck Cam, we're offering MWO members a daily sunrise time-lapse movie. That cam has been in place for a long time, and it's an interesting view at how the early morning looks over the course of an hour or so.

The West View Cam will also offer a new time-lapse sunrise video... when freezing fog doesn't pile up lots of rime ice. Since the prevailing winds blast that side of the building, it's tough to keep that window clear. That's obviously an issue, and we're talking about ways to fix it. Since rime ice even builds up on our pitot anemometer on the tower (heated to 300 F) in some cases, keeping that window clear will continue to be a challenge!

When the Presidentials Cam is launched at the conclusion of our "Bretton Woods Challenge" membership drive, the general viewing public will get a beautiful view of the western flank of the Presidential Range. MWO members will also have access to FOUR additional zoomed-in views of Mounts Eisenhower, Jefferson, Monroe and Washington. The best part-- members will get an absolutely stunning daily time-lapse video of the entire range as the sun sets over Bretton Woods. I've seen a couple of these so far... seriously breathtaking stuff.

And finally, we'll be offering MWO members our new weekly video update, the Mount Washington ObsCast. The crew will be shooting footage of Saturday's forecasted big winds, so don't miss it! I believe it will be available in the Weather pull-down menu in the main navigation bar at the top of every page (except the forum area).

So there you have it! All kinds of new stuff. And it will all be very cool as long as we're not mired in fog... then we'll all have to be patient for a day or two! Unless you enjoy fog-- you'll have lots of new ways to look at it.

Here's the process... On Monday morning, check the individual webcam pages. When you see the thumbnails of the new images at the right of the page, we're up and running! You'll first need to establish an MWO Web Account if you don't already have one. Then, you'll need to link your MWO Web Account to your membership record. Have your membership card handy so you can enter your 5-digit membership number. Then... enjoy!! If you don't have your membership number handy, there will be a link to email our membership office so you can obtain it. Or you can always call us for that info.

We've been talking about this concept for literally five years and we are so excited to offer this to our members. Nearly 4,000 people from 45 states and 5 foreign countries should all plan on a very unproductive morning in the office on Monday...

Thanks for all your support and please offer feedback in the forums as we roll this thing out.

All the best,
Scot
MWO Staff

AlpineHikerFan71
01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm happy to announce that we're just about ready to roll out the new "Premium Content"... look for it mid-morning on Monday!

Here's what you'll find...

On the Ravines Cam, MWO members will get FOUR new images (updated every 15 minutes) including zoomed-in views of Tuckerman Ravine, Huntington Ravine, Gulf of Slides and the Northern Presidentials. Also, you'll find an amazing daily time-lapse sunrise video of Mount Washington as the sky brightens, the clouds whip over the Rockpile and the early-morning colors shine on the mountain. Most days, the clouds come right over the summit, right over Wildcat. It is such a stunning vantage point.

On the North View Cam, members will get FOUR new images, including zoomed-in views of Mount Adams, Mount Madison, Mount Jefferson and a shot of "Home Stretch" on the Auto Road and the upper portion of the Cog Railway. Members will also enjoy TWO daily time-lapse videos, including a sunrise vid and sunset vid.

On the Observation Deck Cam, we're offering MWO members a daily sunrise time-lapse movie. That cam has been in place for a long time, and it's an interesting view at how the early morning looks over the course of an hour or so.

The West View Cam will also offer a new time-lapse sunrise video... when freezing fog doesn't pile up lots of rime ice. Since the prevailing winds blast that side of the building, it's tough to keep that window clear. That's obviously an issue, and we're talking about ways to fix it. Since rime ice even builds up on our pitot anemometer on the tower (heated to 300 F) in some cases, keeping that window clear will continue to be a challenge!

When the Presidentials Cam is launched at the conclusion of our "Bretton Woods Challenge" membership drive, the general viewing public will get a beautiful view of the western flank of the Presidential Range. MWO members will also have access to FOUR additional zoomed-in views of Mounts Eisenhower, Jefferson, Monroe and Washington. The best part-- members will get an absolutely stunning daily time-lapse video of the entire range as the sun sets over Bretton Woods. I've seen a couple of these so far... seriously breathtaking stuff.

And finally, we'll be offering MWO members our new weekly video update, the Mount Washington ObsCast. The crew will be shooting footage of Saturday's forecasted big winds, so don't miss it! I believe it will be available in the Weather pull-down menu in the main navigation bar at the top of every page (except the forum area).

So there you have it! All kinds of new stuff. And it will all be very cool as long as we're not mired in fog... then we'll all have to be patient for a day or two! Unless you enjoy fog-- you'll have lots of new ways to look at it.

Here's the process... On Monday morning, check the individual webcam pages. When you see the thumbnails of the new images at the right of the page, we're up and running! You'll first need to establish an MWO Web Account if you don't already have one. Then, you'll need to link your MWO Web Account to your membership record. Have your membership card handy so you can enter your 5-digit membership number. Then... enjoy!! If you don't have your membership number handy, there will be a link to email our membership office so you can obtain it. Or you can always call us for that info.

We've been talking about this concept for literally five years and we are so excited to offer this to our members. Nearly 4,000 people from 45 states and 5 foreign countries should all plan on a very unproductive morning in the office on Monday...

Thanks for all your support and please offer feedback in the forums as we roll this thing out.

All the best,
Scot
MWO Staff
Scot,
This is the most exciting news in awhile for me, I am very excited and cant wait to check out all the new goodies we get to play with. thanks to you and your staff to make this even happen and hope we hit that goal real soon.
thanks again:)

Brad
01-21-2007, 08:06 AM

All the best,
Scot
MWO Staff
Suggestions:

WD-40
PAM spray
RainX
or just leave the window open

Is LL Bean providing funding for all this extra work? Their sponsorship of the web cameras is noticed and appreciated.

Brad
01-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Here is a view from the summit looking at the new Presidentials web camera. The view the other way has to be wonderful! Sunrise this morning must have been awesome.

Lets get new members lining up at the door so this new camera can be turned on...

http://images14.fotki.com/v386/photos/1/1002902/4445389/20070121_093414_west-vi.jpg

Brad
01-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Dear Boss,

I am sorry but today is The Big Day on top of Mt Washington. Since I can not be there in person I will be following along using the new camera images and member content. I know you think I already look at the web camera images way too much. But, today is special. Once the new content is on I have a "hold" on my calendar. I am not to be disturbed. I am way too busy to get work done.

Once things settle down (maybe in a few days) and I understand all the neat new stuff that will be available to members, then I will be back to work. I am not sure it will ever be the same though. With all the additional videos and a new camera coming online I will have more MWO stuff to watch during the day. I am sure you will understand.

Count this as "employee satisfaction".

Your loyal employee,

--------
I was thinking of sending this off today once I get to work.

Rich
01-22-2007, 02:33 PM
:D The new content is very cool! :D Thanks! I'll look forward to my daily visits even more!

Now...how can we get all those "non-members" that we see viewing the forums to become members so we get that Presidential cam online! :confused:

-Rich

Brad
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
:D The new content is very cool! :D Thanks! I'll look forward to my daily visits even more!

Now...how can we get all those "non-members" that we see viewing the forums to become members so we get that Presidential cam online! :confused:

-Rich
Yes - and the zoomed in images off that camera should be really great.

Bruce P
01-22-2007, 03:07 PM
I just checked out the new content for members. Linking my membership number to my MWO Account was easy to do and the new cam images are great! Good work and well done to everyone involved with getting everything up and running!

AlpineHikerFan71
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
that video of the sunset on the north view cam is just magnificent. You can see the shadows creep in and sun setting, just awesome:D

KD Talbot
01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I've got to agree. These are awesome and the next best thing to being there. Thanks to all involved in creating this.We armchair quarterbacks will have much to discuss from here on.
KDT

Brad
01-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Dear Boss,

I am sorry but today is The Big Day on top of Mt Washington. Since I can not be there in person I will be following along using the new camera images and member content. I know you think I already look at the web camera images way too much. But, today is special. Once the new content is on I have a "hold" on my calendar. I am not to be disturbed. I am way too busy to get work done.

Once things settle down (maybe in a few days) and I understand all the neat new stuff that will be available to members, then I will be back to work. I am not sure it will ever be the same though. With all the additional videos and a new camera coming online I will have more MWO stuff to watch during the day. I am sure you will understand.

Count this as "employee satisfaction".

Your loyal employee,

--------
I was thinking of sending this off today once I get to work.
The work day is wrapping up. It was good I had several conference calls on the schedule today and that I have 2 displays to work off. So, work was on one display and MWO web cameras were on the other. What a great day! Thanks to all who worked so hard to pull this off. Now we need folks to work on a clear sunny day tomorrow so we can watch sunrises and clouds rolling by. I love it!

Brad
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
The North sunset video today was great! The clouds kept on flowing over the peaks. Very very cool.

Brad
01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Yahoo!!!!!!

We are up to 143 new memberships! Keep on coming. Lets pick up speed. Sign up before all the places are gone. Only 107 places left to go. You would not want to miss out on the chance to turn on the new camera. Once we get to 250 new members and you do not sign up you will never be able to say that your membership helped turn on the awesome Presidentials camera.

You must join now before the opportunity is gone for a lifetime - or even longer.

Brad
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Your chance to make history is coming to a close.

If you sign up for the current Mt Washington Observatory membership drive now, you will help us get the new Presidentials web camera turned on and available for the public to see. And you will also be a member of a select few (250 to be exact) who can say you were the ones to get the camera online.

We now have 163 new members out of the 250 needed. Only 87 available new membership slots to enter the record books. Sign up now. Please .....

Brad
05-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Can someone give us information on how the sunrise and sunset videos are put together?

The duration of the video is 90 minutes.

Do you capture individual images? If so, what is the time interval?

When you have the images what software do you use to put them into a video stream?

Any special tools you use?

Mike D
05-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Beginning just before sunrise or about 90 minutes before sunset, the image server begins collecting pictures from each camera on a 30 second interval. After 90 minutes of this, each image set is bound together like a flipbook by a set of programs called ImageMagick. The resulting video is then uploaded to our web server. The number of different technologies that make the timelapse movies possible is astounding, and each has its special role in the process.

Can someone give us information on how the sunrise and sunset videos are put together?

The duration of the video is 90 minutes.

Do you capture individual images? If so, what is the time interval?

When you have the images what software do you use to put them into a video stream?

Any special tools you use?

Brad
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I did my sunrise video from this morning with 5 second interval images - running for 1 hr 50 mins - each image 0.5 seconds apart and no gap in between - using Adobe's Photoshop Elements. The result was a 9 minute long video. Tomorrow I will try a 10 second interval to see if I get what I like.

Brad
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
The Presidentials camera is back and running! It is wonderful to see again. Maybe we will get a cool sunset video tonight. Thanks to everyone for getting this rolling again.

Brad
07-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Several of the videos and zoomed in images are not up to date. Can someone check them out and get them running again?

Brad
07-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Several of the videos and zoomed in images are not up to date. Can someone check them out and get them running again?
The sunrise videos have been updated for today successfully. The zoomed in images are still not current.

Check out the West sunrise video! Very nice view throughout the time sequence. Part way into the Ravines sunrise a set of clouds go by from north to south that almost look like a low flying airplane.