PDA

View Full Version : When is it too late in the day to begin climbing Washington?

tsuehr
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Ideally one would get a very early start, but is say noon too late to begin? I suppose the goal is to avoid darkness?

climbabout
01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
That's up to the individual and many factors such as how fast you are, the weather, visibility, etc... In winter time, I think it would be prudent to want to be back down to the base of the winter route (bottom of the steep part) by dark - the rest of the TR trail can easily be travelled by headlamp. But then again, if it's a calm clear, full moonlit night, you could probably climb anytime.
Tough question to give a definitive all inclusive answer to.
Tim

Brad
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
In the winter the days are very short. I have not done a MW summit hike. But other hikes in the winter I find easy to get an early start and use a headlamp. You are dry - it is cold - but you will quickly warm up.

At the end of the day coming down late puts you in colder air when you are wet. I try to stay away from that. So, i would recommend an early start to be down by dark.

In the summer the days are longer but still an early start gives more time at the summit. My goal is to be home for dinner.

AlexFTGU
01-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Ideally....by 8am for lions head..