PDA

View Full Version : Need trail help coming out of Huntington

sjm
02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi all,
I have been reading these fourms and they have helped us the past couple of winter climbs on Mt Washington.

This will be our second attempt in Huntington Ravine( we summited twice from Lions Heads prior)
we have our eye on South Gully but will most likely
be coming up Escape Hatch as last year that was challenging enough!

we didnt summit from there last year but would like to come out of the hatch and head to to summit

I couldnt determine a route last year..any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
we are climbing one day this fri-sun depening on weather and conditions,

Bill O
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Since there aren't many objective hazards above the Ravine just head for the summit in the most rational and direct way possible. You're allowed to do that in the winter.

I'd shoot for the route with least amount of exposed rocks. A direct path to the Nelson Crag Trail is what the summer route does. If the Escape Hatch puts you more in line with the East Snowfields I would take that route. Less scrambling along the Chandler Ridge that way. I've always thought that under the right conditions the East Snowfields could slide so be aware of that.

sjm
02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
we ended up coming up South Gully and breaking out on a route to the right the runs between South and Odells
Pretty steep climb, but lots of fun- got to top and saw a straightline to summit but decided a we were pretty beat after the climb and headed down Lions Head

will try again next year

thanks again for the help