PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router Dummy

Flippin
02-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Looking to purchase a wireless router for a mac book. Mac is about 2/3 years old. Currently running through an ethernet cable to the Comcast modem.

Any advice on an affordable good router? Security and speed are most important.

This will be for 1 laptop (maybe two once in a while) in a small apartment.

Thanks

Steve M
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I have one of these and I have not had any problems with it. You can set it up with security so no one else can use it and it has a built in firewall.

Check it out here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

Brad
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Over the years we have probably had 10 wireless routers from different manufacturers - different technologies - different maximum speeds. We have used Linksys, D-Link and Buffalo. They all work - they do what they are supposed to do. But the features and how easy they are to set up is quite different. Whenever I have tried a different manufacturer for some crazy reason I end up going back to Linksys.

For price reasons I would stick with a 802.11g product as Steve pointed out. The prices are good and they come with external antenna. The newer -N products have nice fast speed but to get the external antenna the price goes way up. We have a -N unit from Linksys now and it does not have an external antenna - for us we have weak signal in several places in the house - mainly my office.

For a small apartment internal or external antenna would not make a difference. Steve's recommendation is a good one. i have been tempted to junk my -N unit and go back to a G unit. Then I would have all sorts of options for high power antenna I could add on.

spyboy
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I would go with the GL version (WRT54GL) over the G (WRT54G) because the GL is a linux kernel. This means you can patch the firmware to third party ones. I'm currently using Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) which gives you a ton of custom settings to tweak your router. Plus it has nice graphs showing your bandwidth usage, and logs for daily, weekly and monthly upload/download totals.

Kirk

h2oeco
02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I also use and like Linksys. I've had various versions of their routers over the years, as have clients, and have had no problems.

Ed