PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins...

BlueDog
02-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Was a beautiful day down here in VA. At least 60 degrees out if I had to guess. So, I decided to pull the cover off the motorcycle and take a ride over to historic Harpers Ferry, WV to visit this place:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATC%20Bldg.%20in%20fall%20012.jpghttp://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/VC%20up%20front%2002.JPG

If you can't tell or don't know... it the headquarters for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Located at the end of a blue blaze trail through the historic streets.

Reason for going there was that they just got in the 2009 AT Data Books and the 2009 Thru Hikers Companion Books! Picked up my copies of both and getting excited to do my first section hike next weekend! It won't be a long hike, three full days, to cover the 46 miles of the Maryland part of the trail.

Trying to make good on my 2009 Hiking Goals from another post.

MsCntry
02-07-2009, 10:07 PM
That sounds awesome Erich!! Joe and I have the main map of the whole trail, a ton of books, and a lot of planning under our belts already. Right now it is just a future dream though. More like if we ever win the lottery, because we plan to start in Georgia in March, and do the full through hike to Maine. We just have to save a lot of money and set up all the plans of who will look after the animals, the house, the bills, send supplies to us along the trail, yadda yadda yadda LOL. Good luck on your hike!!:D

MelNino
02-08-2009, 08:27 AM
ahhh, the AT....awesome.......I would just be happy getting pieces of it done (still haven't done all of CT portion)

krummholz
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Is there still a frozen custard place in Harper's Ferry? (I'm talking about the real frozen custard that's made with eggs, not soft-serv ice cream.)

BlueDog
02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Yup! Custard place is still there! In fact when I went by there on the way to the ATC HQ there were a bunch of people outside with cones like it was a summer day. I couldn't believe it.

krummholz
02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Yay! I'll always remember a time I was visiting Harper's Ferry with some representatives of ATC clubs, and we were walking through town, and all of a sudden I saw the frozen custard place and abruptly turned off, and everyone followed me!

Jimmy Legs and Little d
02-09-2009, 07:27 AM
BlueDog, yesterday my wife and I did a section of the AT from I-70 to Alternate 40 and back; a total of 10 miles, in preparation for our trip to New Hampshire from 2/20 to 2/27/09. We have to do two more hikes to "get in shape" and were thinking about doing more sections of the AT in Maryland next weekend. If your're interested let us know (what section you plan on doing). Harpers Ferry is one of our favorites. We especially like doing the Maryland Heights and Loudon Heights loops combined. And yes the custard is great. We like to stop there halfway through our hike, which also includes the ATC.

Jimmy Legs

TrishandAlex
02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Congrats on the prep stages! Always great fun.

Harpers Ferry brings back wonderful memories. I used to go there with friends of mine when I was a teenager -- we would climb up the hills/mountains around there (bushwhacking). Then there was a place close by that we could dunk ourselves in the river.

Happy hiking!!!

Trish

BlueDog
02-09-2009, 11:06 AM
BlueDog, yesterday my wife and I did a section of the AT from I-70 to Alternate 40 and back; a total of 10 miles, in preparation for our trip to New Hampshire from 2/20 to 2/27/09. We have to do two more hikes to "get in shape" and were thinking about dooing more sections of the AT in Maryland next weekend. If your're interested let us know (what section you plan n doing). Harpers Ferry is one of our favorites. We especially like doing the Maryland Heights and Loudon Heights loops combined. And yes the custard is great. We like to stop there halfway through our hike, which also includes the ATC.

Jimmy! I plan on being out there this coming weekend. Plan is to start in Pen Mar Saturday morning, then end up in Harpers Ferry by Monday evening. Friend of mine and his wife are joining me and you two are most certainly welcome to come along for part or all of it!

I didn't realize you were in this area. I actually live on the opposite side of Loudoun Heights from Harpers Ferry. So, anytime you want to hike let me know! After this weekend I think the next portion will be to start in Harpers Ferry and head south, maybe to Front Royal.

Congrats on the prep stages! Always great fun.

Harpers Ferry brings back wonderful memories. I used to go there with friends of mine when I was a teenager -- we would climb up the hills/mountains around there (bushwhacking). Then there was a place close by that we could dunk ourselves in the river.

Its a great little town. Gets a bit crowded in the height of summer. The hike up Maryland Heights sounds like where you went. That overlooks the town from the opposite side of the river. I go kayaking just down river from here alot and the Potomac is quite shallow up this end. So there's still some good places to cool off. :)

Jimmy Legs and Little d
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
We'll see how everyone's plans progress before the week is over and be in touch. Possibly we could meet at Pen Mar (Satuday) or another section (Sunday).