PDA

View Full Version : Everest Junkies: Looks like China is officially closing the North side again

BlueDog
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Article from Adventure Blog reports that China is gonna close Tibet to all foreign access again this year. Checking on Alan Arnette's site, most teams this year were not taking a chance and are climbing the South side. Who knows what this will mean for the teams that planned full traverses and the one planned to do a double traverse.

Tibet Closed Indefinitely to Foreigners (http://www.alanarnette.com/alan/everest2009.php)
China Closes Tibet to Foreigners (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/tibet/4688657/China-closes-Tibet-to-foreigners.html)

MelNino
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the links, Blue. Interesting read.

Bill O
02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Hillary would be jumping for joy. If only nepal would do the same.

I'd speculate that next year will see trips plummet. Only because most trips this year were prepaid.

BlueDog
02-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Bill... not sure I follow. Why would Hillary be happy at half the mountain being closed down, and for what appears to be purely political reasons?

TheNatrix
02-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I think he is referring to Hillary's view that guided trips up Everest do not respect the mountain leaving trash and oxygen bottles in their path.

"This is hardly mountaineering in the full sense of the term; it is more like a conducted tour.''

(he has some other hilarious quotes about it too, just not sure where they are)

Brad
02-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I just finished watching the National Geographic special from a few years ago with Hillary and Tensing Norgay's sons climbing Everest. (I am in the process of converting old VCR tapes to DVDs.) The program included old footage and it was well done.

BlueDog
02-22-2009, 10:12 AM
I think he is referring to Hillary's view that guided trips up Everest do not respect the mountain leaving trash and oxygen bottles in their path.

"This is hardly mountaineering in the full sense of the term; it is more like a conducted tour.''

(he has some other hilarious quotes about it too, just not sure where they are)

Ah... too bad that 'trash removal' isn't their motivation. :( Wonder if Hillary would still be in favor if he knew it was propose was most likely to break the Tibetan people that work as the shepras.