PDA

View Full Version : Twitter!

mlaughran
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi! Would somebody please twitter live updates from the Observatory of the conditions of the moment, and/or life on the rock pile? That would be so cool! (For more info, check out twitter.com!)

Thanks!!

spyboy
02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
I've already asked for that and everyone laughed at me :(

I do think it would be great to see automated posts every so many minutes with the current conditions.

Kirk

Feuerkopf
02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
The idea is great. I'd be a follower. ;)

Bill O
02-23-2009, 08:20 AM
They do, but instead of 250 or so characters they write observer comments every other day. Sometimes more.

They actually have quite a bit of work on the summit and rarely have extra time to fill the world with their daily minutia.

Why would you Tweet to four million people when you could Facebook to hundreds of millions? From a going concern standpoint why would you drag people away from your website to a third party? Maybe you could tease people on Facebook or Twitter but the main goal is to bring people to www.mountwashington.org

spyboy
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Because you can setup Facebook so the status updates come from Twitter. That way you get more followers.

Also, it doesn't have to be something the OBS write, it can be automated to just list out the current temps & wind speeds.

Feuerkopf
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, yesterday and today I mentioned MW-OBS several times, because my daughter belongs to the "stranded Germans". ;)

MsCntry
02-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I am always talking about MWOBS as well. If I am talking to other hikers that have never heard of it, I tell them about the website, as well as the forum so they join and have more contacts to hiking conditions and such!!;)

mtruman
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Seems like the technology is pretty close to existing already. Since there is already a web page with frequent updates for summit weather conditions it shouldn't be too hard to grab the data from that and turn it into tweets.

RI Swamp Yankee
02-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, yesterday and today I mentioned MW-OBS several times, because my daughter belongs to the "stranded Germans". ;)
Welcome to the MWO forum Feuerkopf. Sounds like she had quite an adventure. Hope she had a good experience here in the USA.

Brad
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I am sure the poor stranded Germans got some great pictures!

Feuerkopf
02-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the MWO forum Feuerkopf. Sounds like she had quite an adventure. Hope she had a good experience here in the USA.

I am sure the poor stranded Germans got some great pictures!

I can assure you my daughter's got lots of impressions and good experiences.
Concerning the USA she isn't really a "newbie" as she spends a lot of time over there.

The photos she sent us are spectacular, but so are most of the photos and videos on the MW website. Gorgeous place to be.

I have to admit, I'm glad she could leave the summit finally. We miss her.:o

Trekker
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, Feuerkopf, I can assure you that David and I will miss her, too. We were the volunteers at the Observatory that week (Feb 18th-25th) and had an awesome time cooking, cleaning, and socializing with all of the folks from Germany - as well as the folks from the EMS Climbing Trip that made it up in that great storm. I can't think of a better place to be stranded - or more fun group to be stranded with.
No matter how many times I've visited the summit (too many to count) - it seems unique and different each time. And yes, "spectacular" and "gorgeous" are words that I routinely associate with it.
We hope they ALL had as wonderful a time as we did!!