PDA

View Full Version : Monday MegaStorm!!

MelNino
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
LOL, I love names of these storms.....sounds like a really bad weather-disater movie you'll find whilst channel surfing on a Sat afternoon.

But yes, bring on this MegaStorm, I'm working from home

M_Six
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Not terribly unusual for New England to get late winter/early spring storms. Remember the April Fool's Day storm back in the late 90s? My pickup truck was completely buried. The good thing is that the snow is usually gone quickly. I hope the ski areas get a bunch. They could use a season extender.

MelNino
03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
That's what so funny about these storms, esp in CT.....the state seems to forget that yes, this IS New England, and *gasp*, it snows here, even until March or April!

Bill O
03-02-2009, 07:53 AM
March is one of the snowiest months of the year for New England.

8.7" as of 7:30 am.

Brad
03-02-2009, 08:00 AM
We have about 4" here in Maine right now. No problem getting out to get Dunkin Donuts coffee.

JimS
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I generally hate the media spin on storms in New England. They have a general formula...and most of it is negative.

1) Name the storm something catastrophic.
2) 1 day before hand, go to a busy groceria and show a dirth of yogurt.
3) 6 Hours before start hourly cut ins to supernanny showing maps of impending doom, as well as cut aways to bob from the town DPW loading trucks with his extra, sleep deprived crew.
4) 1 hour before, begin reminding idiots that their car goes fast, but stops slowly, showing footage from last named catastrophic storm.
5) Storm begins, place reporters precariously on the side of the road talking about a terrible commute. Nows a great time to lean into spray from a plow!
6) Halfway done, usually stock reports on lost business, slow commute, traffic accidents and so on.
7) Nearly done: interview people at a gas station talking about how inconvenient snow has made their lives, like having to leave 10 minutes earlier for work.
8) Storms over...continue reports on how inconvenient life was for the past 8 hours.
9) Talk to officials about budget shortfalls due to this unexpected phenomena known as snow in New England.
10) Name your next storm and repeat...

Oh...I love snow...and good thing, because if I didn't go out in it and had to listen to media coverage all day...

smithtim
03-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I generally hate the media spin on storms in New England. They have a general formula...and most of it is negative.

1) Name the storm something catastrophic.
2) 1 day before hand, go to a busy groceria and show a dirth of yogurt.
3) 6 Hours before start hourly cut ins to supernanny showing maps of impending doom, as well as cut aways to bob from the town DPW loading trucks with his extra, sleep deprived crew.
4) 1 hour before, begin reminding idiots that their car goes fast, but stops slowly, showing footage from last named catastrophic storm.
5) Storm begins, place reporters precariously on the side of the road talking about a terrible commute. Nows a great time to lean into spray from a plow!
6) Halfway done, usually stock reports on lost business, slow commute, traffic accidents and so on.
7) Nearly done: interview people at a gas station talking about how inconvenient snow has made their lives, like having to leave 10 minutes earlier for work.
8) Storms over...continue reports on how inconvenient life was for the past 8 hours.
9) Talk to officials about budget shortfalls due to this unexpected phenomena known as snow in New England.
10) Name your next storm and repeat...

Oh...I love snow...and good thing, because if I didn't go out in it and had to listen to media coverage all day...

LOL

since I'm from Florida I geuss I should add something here about tropical storm media coverage..... but I've got the same situation as you as I'm gone out the door with a surfboard in hand as soon as the wind goes offshore

mtruman
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
We got about 8" in central RI. Got a chance to give the snowshoes another workout today. This has been a great winter so far if you like snow - and it looks like it's not over yet. :)

corey.mcentyre
03-02-2009, 08:06 PM
We have about 4" here in Maine right now. No problem getting out to get Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Except you didn't give your passenger time to get up and out the door to join you. All I saw was your car zipping off down the road. :-(

KD Talbot
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Did he bring you a donut?

KDT

Brad
03-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Except you didn't give your passenger time to get up and out the door to join you. All I saw was your car zipping off down the road. :-(
Zipping down the driveway after sitting there waiting for any sign of life from inside the house. After waiting so long I gave up and left.

RI Swamp Yankee
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
...waiting for any sign of life ....
Signs of life BEFORE getting coffee, that seems to be asking a lot. ;)

Brad
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I waited to later today and he did appear.

corey.mcentyre
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I waited to later today and he did appear.
...frantically waving his arms at the window so Brad would see that, yes, he did require caffeine and doughnut substances to continue with his day. ;-)

Brad
03-04-2009, 05:47 AM
...frantically waving his arms at the window so Brad would see that, yes, he did require caffeine and doughnut substances to continue with his day. ;-)
These southern boys are a little slow.

MsCntry
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
We only got 8 inches here in Tamworth. Most of it was in the morning. I was out running errands by 1pm :)