gpetrics
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Wondering what you guys think.

Location was about 5000 ft on the auto road Sunday March 1 2009
http://math.dartmouth.edu/~gpetrics/panoBW2.jpg

JimS
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow Greg!

That is a fantastic B&W Pano! Magnificent!

Can we put that into the photojournal?

Hope all is well!
Jim

gpetrics
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
absolutely jim... email me if you need anything (higher res or whatnot).

JimS
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
No Need...it's up!

Thanks...

Brad
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I like the tone of the picture. Kind of ominous and watch out for what I can dish out to you!

mtruman
03-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Beautiful shot! Just curious how you arrived at the location. Hiking or one of the day trips up the auto road?

JimS
03-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Knowing Greg (he's one of our former interns (2004 I believe)) he likely skinned up the road, took a few runs on the snowfields, had breakfast, made it down by noon.

gpetrics
03-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Beautiful shot! Just curious how you arrived at the location. Hiking or one of the day trips up the auto road?

Jim would be correct about almost everything except the "down by noon" part--that was actually about the time we left the car :D

my girlfriend and i got a late start since the skiing wasn't great, and were skinning up the old jackson road from pinkham at about 11:30. we intersected the toll road shortly thereafter, and enjoyed the calm winds, cool temps, and beautiful views during the rest of the climb to the summit. after a snack we skidded down the east fields, and had planned on dropping into right gully, but were afraid of the ice that had just been...um...massaging our feet :D ...so we carefully traversed north across the alpine garden to rejoin the auto road, where I snapped the shots that went into this pano at about 3ish. we then skied the remainder of the auto road (~5 miles) to the road where we hitched back to pinkham... of all vehicles, a tour bus picked us up and let us stand on the stairs for the 2ish miles back!

a really fun day considering the snow was not ideal for sliding. the weather on sunday was simply amazing. Thanks for the comments everyone, and thanks Jim for putting the photo up on the MWO site!

PS. we didn't get a hard time, but does anyone know if the auto road people are sticklers for the so called "trail pass" you need to be on the auto road? we didn't even know anything about it until we saw the sign at the AT/auto road junction warning you that you should have said pass. Being already several miles up the trail we didn't feel like going back to purchase one, and the lodge at the bottom of the road was shut down by the time we got to the base had we wanted to make amends. thanks