PDA

View Full Version : REI rebate thinking crampons

CHRIS
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I just got the email from REI and they said I have $125.99 coming :D. So I was thinking maybe some crampons and I found these but I do not know all that much. Does anybody have these and would you recommend them. I read about the Grivel's but seems Rei do not sell. http://www.rei.com/product/747015

KD Talbot
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Mine are similar. These are step in models. Not sure what you have for boots, but you want them to lock on. Might want to take your boots to REI and try them before purchase. Most winter boots are made to accept these. I think Grivel went out of business. I have some Black Diamond stuff and it is good.

KDT

h2oeco
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I also have Black Diamond, specifically these, http://www.rei.com/product/745464, for use with conventional boots - i.e. Sorel, Columbia, etc. - not plastic boots. They seem good.

Ed

Brad
03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I also have Black Diamond, specifically these, http://www.rei.com/product/745464, for use with conventional boots - i.e. Sorel, Columbia, etc. - not plastic boots. They seem good.

Ed
Ed, those look like what MWO gave us for our day on the summit in Feb. They seemed to fit whatever folks were using for boots.

mk10
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I think Grivel went out of business.

Where did you hear that? I've been looking at GSB 'Grivel-Scarpa Binding' for my next boot/crampon upgrade, but I don't want to adopt a system that will ultimately become defunct with Grivel's demise.

MelNino
03-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Is this from your REI dividend? I think I should be getting one soon,,,,,ha, mine will probably be about $20...which is fine by me.

Brad
03-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Mine just came in - sent to NC and then forwarded to me in Maine. $29 - even a little bit helps. It is in what looks like a catalog. Figure out how to open all the flaps and look for the tab for your dividend.

MelNino
03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Yup, I has tossed it in a pile of "junk mail". Found it :) Getting $10, not terrible

CHRIS
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Well I have not got it in the mail yet. But thier email they sent me said it is suppose to be $125.99.. Thats alot more than I expected but I sure am happy. My wife says I should wait to buy more winter gear till the summer and start buying more gear I want for the summer. I am now thinking a bigger backpack as I want to try to do the Presidentials this summer. As usual she is right..

mtruman
03-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Got our dividend notice this week too. Over $300! Couldn't believe it then realized that we got REI credit cards last year and they give extra points for REI purchases and points for all other purchases too. My wife is now looking at backpacking tents and telling me I'm sleeping on the ground this summer instead of in a bunk at the huts :(

averagejoe
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
For the record, I work at the REI in Reading Ma. Grivel did not go out of buisiness, the just closed down Grivel North America, due to the cost of importing to the states.

For a crampon that works on about any boot I like the Petzl/Charlet Vasak Flexlock @ $149.95, I think.

Or if you have really big feet, and need the long center bars, check out the Black Diamond Contact Strap-on @ $124.95, I think.

Happy shopping folks.

Joe.

CHRIS
03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow 300 that would come in handy. Even thou it don't matter how much you get it seems like you always end up spending more money than you get back. Well at least for me anyways.

mtruman
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Wow 300 that would come in handy. Even thou it don't matter how much you get it seems like you always end up spending more money than you get back. Well at least for me anyways.

Ain't that the truth!

Brad
03-08-2009, 09:58 PM
For the record, I work at the REI in Reading Ma.

Joe.
Joe, it is nice to have you here on the forum. Thanks for coming on.

WinterWarlock
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Where did you hear that? I've been looking at GSB 'Grivel-Scarpa Binding' for my next boot/crampon upgrade, but I don't want to adopt a system that will ultimately become defunct with Grivel's demise.

Grivel did not go out of business, but has realigned their distribution in North America...they've cut off many bigger retailers like REI in favor of smaller companies, like the Mountaineer in Keene, NY and Whittaker Mountaineering (on Ranier). And they're still available in Europe, so a little web searching might do the trick.

They used to have an announcement on their home page, but it seems they've taken it down this year.

Scott

averagejoe
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Ya know, I like to think I'm always right, but I've been proven wrong too many times.

Unless something has changed, this is the way I heard it.

http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/headlines.php?id=51

I'd love to hear otherwise. That would make it easier to get new picks for my tools.

Joe.

Bill O
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Grivel did not go out of business, but has realigned their distribution in North America...they've cut off many bigger retailers like REI in favor of smaller companies...

Sounds absolutely brilliant.

Oh wait, it didn't work out for them.