PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done the Obs overnight trek with EMS?

BlueDog
03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking about signing up for the overnighter the last weekend of this month.

The EMS site says they supply some of the technical equip. Anyone know what this includes? I've got winter hiking boots, but not sure if they fit the requirements. Living in VA, I haven't had reason to buy microspikes, crampons, or snowshoes. On the plus side, I believe I have all I need as far as layers, clothing, coats (I'd finally get to break in my Mountain Hardwear Subzero!)

JimS
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
EMS will usually include book/crampon/axe/harness/rope rental with the course or event. When I've taken lessons with them, this was all included...

These are great skill building trips, and the guides are generally fantastic! Highly recommend!

Arthur Dent
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I have been at the Obs when Joe Lentini and others from EMS have brought clients up for an overnight and they are very capable guides that pay attention to detail. You won't have to worry. If you do have any questions calling EMS directly would be the best way to get the correct answer.

climbabout
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I've done it probably 10 times with them - last time about 3-4 years ago. It's a great experience to be able to stay in the obs overnite. Probably gives you a better chance to summit due to them being able to set a slower pace as well as not having to make the descent until the following day. Unless it has changed, they supply all technical gear and instruction in cramponing, descent techniques, self care and self arrest. They'll provide you with plastic double boots, crampons and ice ax - harness and helmet not needed for this trip. You supply the rest - proper clothing, gaiters, etc - it's all listed on the program page on their website.
Good luck.
Tim

BlueDog
03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Excellent!

I've been over their gear list and I think the boots was mainly the item that wasn't clear. I think gaiters are the only thing I don't currently have.

It is indeed the overnight, climb up one day and down the next, trip I'm looking at.

soldsoul4foos
03-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Could someone kindly provide a link? :D

BlueDog
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Gladly....

Mt Washington Observatory Overnights (http://emsclimb.com/mountaineering_obs.html)

Check out the 80 mph winds on one of last years trips!
This incredible trip combines the challenge of climbing the Northeast's highest peak, Mount Washington, with the rare opportunity to spend the night on the summit. When the rest of the day-climbers are heading back down, you'll have the privilege of stepping into the heated observatory building for a delightful evening. Dinner can be followed by a visit with the observatory staff to see how they monitor the "Worst Weather in the World."

On the second day you will watch the sunrise from the summit, have breakfast and then climb back down the mountain. An amazing adventure!

h2oeco
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Last year, during my volunteer week in March, I cooked for an EMS overnight hiking trip, and another one was cancelled/had to turn back to due weather. The guides seemed friendly and knowledgeable, and the hikers themselves seemed to be good people as well. I'll be at the summit as a volunteer from March 25th to April 1st.

Ed

soldsoul4foos
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I ws looking at the volunteer program as well myself. Looks like a great way to see the summit in exchange for providing services as well.