PDA

View Full Version : First time girl

memills
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a first time forum, first time hiker. Take it easy on me now....
I've been reading everyones accomplishments and BOY! I really like the way you all look out for one another. Your hikes and your pictures have been terrific. I know it's not without alot of work and preparation.
I'd like to hike the Ammonoosuc trail to the Crawford Path, then to the summit...
Yes, I know everyone says their fit and ready and yes I'm going to say the same thing...but what you've all taught me is to be safe and listen to my body. Oh and pay attention to the weather too. If I don't make it to the summit for whatever reason it will still be there the next time...
I'd like to go in June, or July. I wouldn't be going alone, that'll be silly...
Is June or July better? I thought coming in from the west side would be less crowded, and I'd get there more gradually.
Thanks for your input.

Bill O
03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Go in June then go back in July if you don't make it the first time.

You may run into some snow patches in early June, but nothing serious. Patches that can be easily negotiated with regular shoes. Unless of course they get a lot of late season snow.

climbabout
03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Welcome - a more gradual(although a slightly longer trail) from the west would be the Jewell trail. I did that trail with my youngest son who was 9 at the time.
Good luck
Tim

Brad
03-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Welcome. I like to take first timers on the west side. It is a lot more gradual. Normally I do Ammo up and Jewell down. If you can get a reservation at Lakes of the Clouds hut - go up to the hut on Ammo, stay the night and hope for a sunset and/or sunrise, then summit the next day and down the Jewell. That is a very special way of doing the trip first time and mid June thru July is a great time to do it.

TrishandAlex
03-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Everything Brad said. Welcome! :)

Steve M
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Welcome memills! One thing I will caution you about in advance....Once you have hiked this mountain you will be hooked for life. I haven't met anyone who hasn't. Have fun and be safe!:)

Rich
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I (hopefully the family) will be going up Ammo on July 25 leaving the trial head around 7. Come on up!

FisherCat
03-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes indeed, welcome to the forums! Will you have the opportunity to hike anything else in the Whites before Mt Washington, kinda like a warm-up?

memills
03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Any suggestions for a warm-up hike?

memills
03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks Steve M,
It seems that all of you have been hiking and loving it forever....I'm soooo excited to go. Especially after seeing the pictures posted and hearing(reading)everyones stories...I can't wait...Oh! I've read the black flies could be bad in June. Is that true?

FisherCat
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
You can find a great variety of 4,000ftrs in the Whites that can get you started, if you want to shoot for them. Mt Tom, Mt Hale, Mt Waumbek, topography wise they won't match Big W but they can get you use to ramblin' in the woods and get you some trail feet.

Charlie
03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
welcome you should come up july 25 ,there will be a lot of people to hike with . look at SEEK THE PEEK .

FisherCat
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
You might also enjoy Mt Jackson and Mt Eisenhower via the Edmands Path on a nice day. It has a deal of exposure but will give you a taste of treeline in good weather. Nice views too!

Brad
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Black flies can be bad in June - yes. That is mainly why I mentioned mid-June and later.

KD Talbot
03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
They're real bad in June, still around in July. I love hiking in September and October when they're gone! Welcome to the board. If you're really serious about hiking in New Hampshire's mountains, get this book. It's the White Mountain Hiker's bible:

http://www.mountwashington.org/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44_6&products_id=28

KDT

Snow Miser
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
welcome you should come up july 25 ,there will be a lot of people to hike with . look at SEEK THE PEEK .

Welcome memills. Yes, you should come do STP. What a great way to hike up the mountain with some of those who know it well.

Charlie
03-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Welcome memills. Yes, you should come do STP. What a great way to hike up the mountain with some of those who know it well.

and you dont even have to know them , i meet up with Brad and Corey in the morning for the first time ever other then talking on this site . we had a lot of talking and even got to meet up with others for the first time that we talk to on this site
so join us

Rich
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
We're up there every year from late June into early July and never really had a problem with the black flies.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
03-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Welcome memills! One thing I will caution you about in advance....Once you have hiked this mountain you will be hooked for life. I haven't met anyone who hasn't. Have fun and be safe!:)

Memills
Welcome to the Forum. I think Steve hit it right on the nose! That's what happened to us years ago. Another suggestion would be to purchase the White Mountain Guide for trail information. Do watch out for the black flies; they can be nasty!
little d

Steve M
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Memills
Welcome to the Forum. I think Steve hit it right on the nose! That's what happened to us years ago. Another suggestion would be to purchase the White Mountain Guide for trail information. Do watch out for the black flies; they can be nasty!
little d

The Black flies got me good last year in July. They seem to bite me on the back of my neck, right at my shirt line and some on my legs.

Jimmy Legs and Little d
03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
The Black flies got me good last year in July. They seem to bite me on the back of my neck, right at my shirt line and some on my legs.

Picture this---27 black fly bites:eek: on the back of my neck; even with a net they stilll managed to get underneath. We were hiking Black Mountain at the time; the second week of June 2000. Never again!
little d

Steve M
03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Picture this---27 black fly bites:eek: on the back of my neck; even with a net they stilll managed to get underneath. We were hiking Black Mountain at the time; the second week of June 2000. Never again!
little d

I think they should rename it "Black Fly Mountain".:)