PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: National Geographic Adventure Needs MW photos by3/18!

crudio
03-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Calling all photogs!

I have been contacted by National Geographic Adventure magazine, looking for photos of "people hiking, exploring, and sightseeing the rare alpine flowers of Mount Washington," and also photos of Lakes of the Clouds Hut and Mizpah Spring Hut, ideally with people in the shot. I followed up with the gentleman who sent the email, and he further specified that the people in the photos should be younger people who look like they live an active lifestyle (no old people or people who look like they don't know what they're doing -- his words!). I do not know anything about the article or column in which these photos will appear.

Thought this might be a nice opportunity for some of you dedicated Obs fans. If you have photos that might work, please email a SMALL SELECTION of your BEST SHOTS ONLY to:

Matt Gillis
Photo Department
National Geographic Adventure Magazine
Email: mgillis@ngs.org

He said he needs them by next Wednesday at the absolute latest. Please send only relevant, high-quality shots (I'd like this to reflect positively on the Obs!), and I'd recommend putting something like "Photos of Mount Washington" in the subject line so your email gets opened. Bonus points if you credit "Your Name, Mount Washington Observatory member"!

(Come on, I had to ask!) =P

Good luck!

- Cara

mtruman
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for putting this message up Cara. I just sent a few photos to Matt (being sure to promote the OBS in the process). ;)

There are lots of great photographers on the forums here and hopefully NGEO will get many good photos to choose from for the article. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Steve M
03-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Great! I'll look through what I have and pass them on.

Thanks for the heads up.

JimS
03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I really don't include people in my landscape shots often enough...as hiking/backpacking/adventure magazines tend to like them. Then again, I don't really shoot for stock, and am much more motivated by scenes that lend themselves to the (hopefully) fine art market...

I sent these along...I'm hopeful, as a little publishing money will ofset the new lens I just bought!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3353537311_f16fa99cbe_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3096/3354360242_9ced9810a3_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3353537431_1aa4b7f243_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/3353537491_aa85796e8a_o.jpg

CHRIS
03-14-2009, 02:18 PM
What new lens did you just buy? I am looking at the Canon 16-35 f2.8. Well saving for it hopefuly a couple more weeks and its mine :).

JimS
03-14-2009, 02:41 PM
What new lens did you just buy? I am looking at the Canon 16-35 f2.8. Well saving for it hopefuly a couple more weeks and its mine :).

That is a great lens, but I wouldn't get the origional...too soft for your 5DII...
I'm told the updated version is quite a bit better!

I just got the Tokina 12-24mm...which seems to be the highest rated ultrawide for small sensor DSLRs...

I'll have it in a week or so!

Bill O
03-14-2009, 03:58 PM
If you ever read the guidelines for Backpacker or NGS Adventure they really look for shots with people.

I actually wish I had more people in my photos.

Brad
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Cara, I sent some to him - Lakes of the Clouds - people under 30 hiking - no old folks who do not know what they are doing like me.

mtruman
03-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I really don't include people in my landscape shots often enough...as hiking/backpacking/adventure magazines tend to like them. Then again, I don't really shoot for stock, and am much more motivated by scenes that lend themselves to the (hopefully) fine art market...

I sent these along...I'm hopeful, as a little publishing money will ofset the new lens I just bought!

More beautiful pictures as always Jim. The first shot of Lakes is incredible and even meets the criteria for having people (well, person anyway). If that shot wouldn't make someone want to be up there I don't know what would.

I don't know how NGEO will feel about the others, but I know that they are making be want to get up to the Alpine Garden this spring! Breathtaking.

Charlie
03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
i with brad we need to stand up for our Senior citizens
i will stand up for you brad :D

Patrad Fischroy
03-14-2009, 08:47 PM
That is a great lens, but I wouldn't get the origional...too soft for your 5DII...

I just got the Tokina 12-24mm...which seems to be the highest rated ultrawide for small sensor DSLRs...

I'll have it in a week or so!

That Tokina is really sweet, another nice thing is that being a true EF mount, it will work with the 5d. The image circle will not quite make it, there will be some vignetting, but it will work, unlike the EF-S lenses.

Brad
03-15-2009, 06:49 AM
i with brad we need to stand up for our Senior citizens
i will stand up for you brad :D
Good. That takes a big load off me. I will sit here by the fire today and thank Charlie that I do not have to get up.

CHRIS
03-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up Jim. When I finally go to buy I will definetly find out if it is the Updated version.

sheri
03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Guess this is just a coincidence -- On my PC, my start up page is a google page that I have personalized. Included with many things such as, The Daily Puppy, (new pic everyday of a puppy), famous quotes, (new quotes everyday), bible verse (obvious), places to see, etc, etc -- you get the idea -- anyway, among these is of course a National Geographic Pic of The Day (new pic every day) Well, todays pic is one of thepics from the NG article on Mt Washington. It is the pic of the skiers legs at rest at the Tucks. Of course I recognized the pic right away. Funny - the caption they gave is "Tuckerman Ravine Rest, New England" -- oh well - those who know - know!