PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag suggestions

hikergrl
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I need to purchase a new 3 season sleeping bag. I think I've decided to go with synthetic but I'm not sure what temp. rating. I'll be using it mainly up in the whites and usually in the summer months. I was looking at the Montbell stretch burrow bags because I like the idea of the stretch material. I usually wake up in the morning with the bag upside down and twisted because I move around so much when I sleep. I'm torn between the 15 and the 25 degree. I'd like to be able to get away with the 25 degree because it is a little lighter but I hate being cold when I'm trying to fall asleep. I'm open to any and all suggestions on the temp. and brand of bag.

KD Talbot
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
You say 3 season. Not that we have a lot of experience, but we have camped in Early May and into November, both in the valleys and also on summits. We have twenty degree bags we use for this. We found that our tent was much warmer than sleeping in say, Imp Shelter. We have been cold in shelters and warm in tents in 20 degree bags in temps cold enough to freeze water in your bottle overnight.

I assume you will use this for backpacking? I'd go with lower temp rating myself.

KDT

Bill O
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Tough question.

You wouldn't be comfortable in a 25F rated bag on a 25F night. With that said you should go with the 15F bag so you'd be comfortable on a 25F night. Which may occur on summer nights in the Whites, and would give you good range into the spring and fall.

If you do any car camping think about a cheap-o from Wal-Mart. Roomy, comfortable and cheap.

If you're looking for a one sleeping bag solution, get in line. It's one of camping's greatest problems. I have a -30F for Arctic conditions (including MWN in winter), a 0F for most other big mountains, and a 30/40F for summer.

ColdWeatherClimber
03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Slumberjack makes good quality, affordable bags for what you are probably intending it for. The Big Timber is excellent for car or cabin camping. For backpacking, check out one of their synthetic mummy bags. If you sleep cool like I do, go down on the temp rating, like Bill said, get one rated a bit colder than you expect.

Have fun :)

mtruman
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Slumberjack makes good quality, affordable bags for what you are probably intending it for. The Big Timber is excellent for car or cabin camping. For backpacking, check out one of their synthetic mummy bags. If you sleep cool like I do, go down on the temp rating, like Bill said, get one rated a bit colder than you expect.

Have fun :)

Slumberjacks are also frequently available at big discounts at Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, etc. Picked on up for my daughter for backpacking last summer and was surprised how good it was for the price.

ColdWeatherClimber
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Slumberjack bags are a real value for the money for basic stuff. If you got into situations where it got really cold, or weight was not an option, then a move to a higher end bag would be prudent. Arctic conditions demand bags like Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Marmot, TNF etc. Basic hiking/backpacking doesn't require these sort of sleeping bags, hence the recommendation for a Slumberjack.