PDA

View Full Version : Tux hike

Addicted
03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
We plan on hiking up into the first aid station on Saturday. Has anyone been up recently, and how's the trail in from Pinkham Notch? We're hoping to do it with just snowshoes or creepers. I'm thinking snowshoes. Not crampon and ice ax hikers, so if anyone can let us know what we're in for, that would be great. Have hiked Tux in the summer, so know the trail. Just wanna catch some winter action.

Bill O
03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Unless they get new snow I don't think you will need snowshoes. The trail to Tucks is well packed. Some traction might be helpful, but you wont need crampons or an ice axe.

Brad
03-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I did it yesterday to HoJo's and the trail is well packed and solid snow. No ice at all to HoJo's. I used microspikes just for the added traction, but they are not required.

After HoJo's there has not been as much traffic yet. But, that should be fine with no traction. If you bring snowshoes, you will not use them unless there is storm the night before.

Addicted
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Thank you! It's so hard to get accurate info on the trail conditions, and Mt Washington in the winter isn't something I wanna take my chances with. I want to be prepared! We have a 2 1/2 hr drive, so don't want to waste time not knowing what it's really like. Thanks for the tip!