PDA

View Full Version : A Mount Washington Experience...

JimS
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
I've long wanted to get a shot of sunrise from Boott Spur into Tuckerman Ravine, and had the time/ambition to do so this morning.

Looking at the forecast, I knew it was either going to be incredible, or a complete bust, with the cold front moving in right around dawn. I called most of my hiking buddies, but few could be enticed to get up at 3AM with such a risk of a bust of a sunrise...

So alone I went. The hike up was rather frustrating...there is so much snow that the top of the tunnel is at chest level, and branches were raking my face, and catching my tripod the whole hike up. Footing was excellent though, I left the snowshoes, hiked in crampons, and never broke through.

The sky was clear the whole way up, but snow began falling at about 5AM, not a good sign...and rather confusing.

I reached treeline at about 615 to a little light, a gusty wind, and an increasing snowfall. Visibility collapsed, and back down I went...

I reached the Tucks trail again at 730ish, after tracking recent pine marten tracks to no avail. The trail was beginning to pack, and the great thing was the reminder how close much of the hiking community is! I ran into a couple of guides I knew, and then right at the lodge, Wayne and Mike F from the obs were starting to ski up! Great seeing everyone...

Only picture worth showing is a (nother) shot of Crystal Cascade. I can't seem to walk by this place without checking it out. I've probably been 100 times, and just love watching the water fall. I got to try out the 12mm lens, so here's an ultrawide take on it!

Ended the day with a cup of hot cocoa in the lodge at 830...can't beat it!

Gonna have to try for sunrise again in a few weeks...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3660/3377075312_93e87a741b.jpg

Brad
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
And you never called me to go. I am hurt. :cool:

Steve M
03-22-2009, 08:49 PM

You tell him, Brad! I would have gone but...

Charlie
03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
You tell him, Brad! I would have gone but...

me to and i have the but .....to

JimS
03-23-2009, 07:01 AM

Ah...but in my epic quest to find people...I did send along an invite, which you graciously declined:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=376143&id=1066090948

Brad
03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Ah, that was last week. Corey went home early leaving me more flexible. I would have, could have, might have gone with you - except I needed to be at church on Sunday morning anyway.