PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel tonight: "Disaster on K2"

GPB
03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Here is their description of the show:

When enormous ice walls collapse, seven climbers are trapped near the summit of the most dangerous mountain on earth: K2. With footage and interviews with the few who lived to tell the story, we follow this tale of heroism, survival, and hearbreak.

I was just flipping through the TV guide and saw this so I thought I'd call it to everyone's attention. I don't know if I have a morbid streak or if I hope to learn something, but I usually like these kind of shows.

Brad
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for posting.

MelNino
03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Awesome....will watch :)

mtruman
03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks - going to set the DVR now!

Brad
03-25-2009, 08:27 PM
It is on at 10PM here. Way past my bedtime. So, the DVR is set to record it.

Charlie
03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks - going to set the DVR now!

It is on at 10PM here. Way past my bedtime. So, the DVR is set to record it.

it is to late for me to so i will set the DVD :D

and yes i still have an 8 track :eek:

MelNino
03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
It was good....but I fell asleep during parts of it (falling asleep at 10....I'm gittin' old, ha)

Then I had dreams about climbing....that was pretty cool

TrishandAlex
03-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Wow -- that was incredible. And frightening!!!

donnellyvj
03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
2 thumbs up...Thanks for the heads up...

GPB
03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I really enjoyed the program. I'll never be climbing anything that high, but it goes to show you why climbers have developed a set of "rules" over the years, and that breaking them can have severe consequences. I mean a guy was standing still and unclipped from the safetly line for a second to adjust something.....and slid 400 feet to his death. Wow.

mtruman
03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Watched it tonight. Glad for the tip to DVR it since I hadn't noticed it was on. Really well done but very sad events. The live footage on the mountain was amazing.

Brad
03-27-2009, 06:08 AM
I also saw it last night. The lack of structure and discipline to the climb was surprising to me. There was no one at base camp with a radio saying it is time to turn around. They just kept going. The whole way they teamed was different than what we have seen on the recent Everest programs.

Bill O
03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
There was no reason to turn around. Sumitting in the late afternoon was always part of the plan. They knew at least some part of the descent would be in the dark. It was the random event of the serac fall that caused the major problem, something that you don't really plan for.

The structure is certainly different than Everest, but that is just the way it is on K2. On Everest the person at base camp calling the shots is the guide. None of these climbers had guides. They were climbing on their own.