PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour

Bill O
03-28-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm generally not a fan of gimmicks, but if you want to stick it to the power company remember to turn off your lights (and everything else I guess) between 8:30 and 9:30 local time tonight.

spyboy
03-29-2009, 07:24 AM
I was bad, I didn't dim my lights during that hour :(

But I try to stick it to the power company all the time, and only have lights on in the room I'm working in, I've gotten used to walking around in the dark in the house, although I have smacked my leg on the kitchen island, and walked into a wall once, maybe I need to wear my night vision goggles :)

All of the lights in the house are CFL's (except for the ceiling fan lights, CFL's flickered because of the big motor..and last night one incandescent in the ceiling fan blew anyway, ugh)

Brad
03-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I guess I missed all this before and during. "During" I was in the car heading south.

I am not a 100% fan of CFLs. I use them and like them in the garage, the basement, out in the pumphouse - places where the lights could be left on and forgotten. The front lamp post is a very small CFL. But, in the house I do not like them at all. We have blown several over the past 6 months - they just do not seem to last. With a power surge in the house they were the bulbs which burst. And the start up delay is annoying in some cases. I would love to see a study that says they are more efficient to turn on in the morning and leave on all day - and that they last longer by not turning them on and off as much.

Put a CFL on a dimmer switch and you need a different CFL bulb which is very expensive.

Ok, back to the normal topic - what was Earth Hour?

mtruman
03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
CFLs are great for the energy savings and they are improving all the time in the quality of light. Problem with them is they contain mercury and most people don't seem to know that and just toss them in the trash to dispose of them. Even for the conscientious folks it can be a problem because there aren't a lot of places that accept them for recycling. Some of the home centers are starting to catch on with this (Home Depot and Lowes both take them I think) but otherwise you are stuck havning to take them to the local recycling center. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7431198

KD Talbot
03-29-2009, 10:12 AM
All of the lights in the house are CFL's (except for the ceiling fan lights

I thought cfl stood for ceiling fan light? :p

I went for 7 days w/o power in December. I got my bill it was double what it usually is. Gotta love them power companies. :mad:

KDT

Brad
03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I thought cfl stood for ceiling fan light? :p

I went for 7 days w/o power in December. I got my bill it was double what it usually is. Gotta love them power companies. :mad:

KDT
They did not have any power to recharge their electric vehicles. So, they estimated the bill. :cool:

Bill O
03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Buy your CFLs at Costco in CT. They are heavily subsidized by the state and power company and cost about the same as regular bulbs.

Mythbusters did a study about turning your lights on and off. Still more efficient to turn off your lights when you leave the room...no matter what time scale.

My CFLs last for years. I had a problem with them burning out if they were used in enclosed light fixtures. I presume they overheated.

Charlie
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
i have some that are going on 5 yrs old now and are just starting to dim a little
they are in a bathroom light that has 3 sockets ,i have a regular bulb in the middle socket and replaced it 4 times since i put the cfls in
i have some cheaper cfls and the started to dim after a couple years old but these lights are on a lot .
for the light where i read i still need a regular bulb , a 3 way 50/100/150w

BlueDog
03-30-2009, 09:54 AM
CostCo has started to carry LED light bulbs, which are far better overall than CFLs. I stopped using CFLs when I learned of the mercury content. LEDs are the best way to go.

As for the Earth Hour... I not only had the lights off, my entire house was off the grid from 8pm to 4am! (OK... so the power company did it for me)

This got me to wonder... could it make a difference, particularly in my bill, to switch off from the entire grid for 24 hours, once a month? Hmmm

ColdWeatherClimber
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Only an hour? Why not a week?

BlueDog
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Amazingly, the city of Las Vegas participated in Earth hour. Below is a mashup of a pic before and during. Link to Article. (http://i.gizmodo.com/5190450/the-las-vegas-strip-before-and-during-earth-hour)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/03/animation.gif

Bill O
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Amazingly, the city of Las Vegas participated in Earth hour. Below is a mashup of a pic before and during.

Have you seen the Hong Kong before/during?

Brad
03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, we have 3 refrigerators and a chest freezer. It is nice to have power to not lose food.

Has there been an answer here to my earlier question? What is or was Earth Hour?

Bill O
03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Hmmm, we have 3 refrigerators and a chest freezer. It is nice to have power to not lose food.

Has there been an answer here to my earlier question? What is or was Earth Hour?

See the first post.

Brad
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm generally not a fan of gimmicks, but if you want to stick it to the power company remember to turn off your lights (and everything else I guess) between 8:30 and 9:30 local time tonight.
I guess I missed what the objective was. Turning off lights for an hour misses the objective of "stick it to the power company". So, I was guessing there was some other real purpose. But, I must have been wrong. Why pick on the power companies? Why not water utilities or street traffic lights? If everyone in the US turned off all their power for an hour (which they didn't) that would be 1/8760 ths of the years' power usage. Not much of a blip.

Is the objective to say we don't want power companies? They seem to provide power for us which is what we want. Just trying to figure what the whole deal was about and why folks were selecting power companies.

Bill O
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
No, it's actually some hippy/green/earth/global warming gimmick originally started in Australia I believe.

On a household level the reduction in power usage is pretty trivial, but added it could have an effect on the power company.

In reality, I'm sure somebody will do a study and show that "earth hour" actually contributes more to global warming than just leaving your lights on.

Brad
03-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Bill - now it is clear. :confused:

spyboy
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
It would be great if they did it for more than an hour, once a month, on nice nights for astronomy. Light pollution sucks! At least in NH it's not bad where I live.

When I lived in Florida, after hurricane Wilma, we had 10 days without power, it was awesome, could actually see the milky way (as you can up here in NH & ME)

Kirk